Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon.ca] Kicking Horse Coffee Whole Bean 1lb $9.99 ($8.49 S&S)

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 28th, 2020 8:38 pm
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2004
4124 posts
1169 upvotes
Vancouver
LuxErus wrote: Any amazon-available beans that you guys recommend? I had heard a lot of hype about the Lavazza Super Crema, and I don't know if it's because the roasting date was 6 months ago but they are disappointing.
Maybe this will sound pretentious, or maybe it's because I'm from Vancouver where we only drink craft beer... But why not support your local roasters and local coffee shops? Most even have the roast date on the packages and the beans are usually as fresh as possible- far fresher than whatever Amazon is selling you.
Removed external link in signature.
May 20, 2009
97 posts
17 upvotes
montreal
lhsonic wrote: Maybe this will sound pretentious, or maybe it's because I'm from Vancouver where we only drink craft beer... But why not support your local roasters and local coffee shops? Most even have the roast date on the packages and the beans are usually as fresh as possible- far fresher than whatever Amazon is selling you.
$9.99/lb?
Deal Addict
Jun 23, 2014
1492 posts
858 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
lhsonic wrote: Maybe this will sound pretentious, or maybe it's because I'm from Vancouver where we only drink craft beer... But why not support your local roasters and local coffee shops? Most even have the roast date on the packages and the beans are usually as fresh as possible- far fresher than whatever Amazon is selling you.
I'm in Vancouver. Who do you recommend?
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2004
4124 posts
1169 upvotes
Vancouver
milhouse7 wrote: $9.99/lb?
Obviously not. You're likely looking at closer to $16.99 all the way to maybe $25 for a 12oz bag (1lbs = 16oz).

And I get that maybe you can't taste your coffee being worth 50-150% more but you'd be supporting local businesses during tough times. It's great if you can afford to at this time. And perhaps RFD isn't the place to be posting about that since a lot of decisions here are purely value-driven. In exchange, you get fresher coffee roasted in smaller batches and much more variety to tickle all your tasting notes fancy.

Nothing against Kicking Horse, I think they're a great Canadian story but they were bought by Lavazza a few years back.
Sievert wrote: I'm in Vancouver. Who do you recommend?
I personally like Milano, but there's so many choices that I don't think it hurts to visit different shops to find your personal favourite! Lots of threads on Reddit too :)
Removed external link in signature.
Feb 21, 2007
797 posts
505 upvotes
which flavor is good for automatic expresso machine?
Nov 11, 2006
22 posts
5 upvotes
Kelowna
Thanks Op, ordered 2 kick ass blend. Love the grizzly but thought I'd try a different one this time.
Dec 28, 2017
227 posts
260 upvotes
Calgary
lanslord wrote: which flavor is good for automatic expresso machine?
three sisters is the best for espresso
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2004
1345 posts
179 upvotes
Kicking horse is almost local. They are in BC. The ones I got from amazon are close to 1 yr from expire so I assume they are almost fresh. It's my go to beans if I'm not buying from a local roaster.
There are so many roasters in Vancouver I've tried but some people have different tastes. So it's up to you to try the one you like.
I like matchsticks and agro but some dont like agro. Always ask for the newest dated beans from the baresta since the ones on the self are sometimes dated older.
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2004
1345 posts
179 upvotes
Ganciel wrote: three sisters is the best for espresso
3 sister is a good one too but I like the after taste from cliff hanger and that's their espresso blend . I thought I'd like grizzly or 454 but they are a bit too dark
Dec 28, 2017
227 posts
260 upvotes
Calgary
jon604 wrote: 3 sister is a good one too but I like the after taste from cliff hanger and that's their espresso blend . I thought I'd like grizzly or 454 but they are a bit too dark

theyre really dark, id only imagine taking quick shots of those will get you pumping
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2006
4295 posts
1344 upvotes
Vancouver
I have found a couple of Republica roasts to be quite nice. They had a booth at the Home Show a few years ago and their coffee served there got me serious about using whole beans. They roast out in Fort Langley but were expanding retail locations around the Lower Mainland before COVID broke out. It was their "Perfect Storm" dark roast that hooked me. It is somewhat similar to Ethical Bean's Lush or Level Grounds "Africa" and "Tanzania" roasts. It is more like a medium dark versus the dark of KH Grizzly Paw (which I also like). I think my last lb cost me $18.99. Can't recall.

https://www.republicaroasters.com/

Level Ground is out of Victoria but they are more of a volume roaster than Republica. Probably similar to KH though not as big but they do have some great product. Costco sells 2 lb bags for $16.99 and sometimes with a discount off that. IMHO, "Tanzania" is better than "Africa" which is better than Ethical Beans "Lush". I've only ever seen a skid of Tanzania in the Surrey Costco once though they have had "Africa" there for most of the last year. Some grocery store chains on the Island carry it but I can't say I've seen it here. They have a "Where to Buy" option on their web site to find a local store that sells it.

https://levelground.com/

There is Viva Java in Richmond who roasts in small batches. A one man boutique roaster. You can sit at his counter and watch him work the beans in the roaster 10 feet away. Really good and one of those coffees that is just as tasty drunk luke warm to room temperature as when freshly brewed hot. Pricey though! $25/lb.

http://vivajava.ca/

I just cannot bring myself to pay $25/lb for a coffee except for special occasions.

Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2006
4295 posts
1344 upvotes
Vancouver
Ganciel wrote: theyre really dark, id only imagine taking quick shots of those will get you pumping
There is no more caffeine in a dark roast than in a medium or light roast. If anything, there is ever so slightly less.

But a brewed as an expresso vs a drip or pour over brew is a whole different story.

Jun 4, 2007
782 posts
127 upvotes
adamthemute wrote: I've been pretty happy with $10 per pound Kicking Horse coffee (tried Kick Ass/Grizzly/Three Sisters), but can anyone recommend potentially better (subjective, I know) for the price or do I need to dip into the $18+ bags of coffee from specialty shops?
I've been drinking Kicking Horse for years now (seems like 10+) and recently I tried the Muskoka Roastery's Howling Wolf (medium dark roast). It's currently $11.99 on Amazon (I bought it at $8.99). I have to say I really liked it. It's got this creaminess to it (espresso) that KH is missing. I wanted to try a dark roast as well but all of the dark roast bags are only 400 grams (and the price does not reflect that). Anyway, give it a try.
Oct 4, 2011
36 posts
14 upvotes
Montreal
anyone here knows which one would be good for cold brew and THAT DOESNT grease up my Rancilio grinder ? i do like the cliff hanger , but darn grease