Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon.ca] Kicking Horse Coffee Whole Bean 1lb $9.99 ($8.49 S&S)

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 28th, 2020 8:38 pm
Dec 28, 2005
462 posts
85 upvotes
Thanks OP. Picked up 1 Grizzly & 2 Half Ass. I usually buy the KH Decaf and mix it 50-50 with one of their dark roasts. Good way to reduce my caffeine intake and still enjoy my morning coffee :)
Jul 11, 2008
62 posts
10 upvotes
Markham
Has anyone tried their light roast Hola?
Deal Addict
Jun 18, 2018
1270 posts
793 upvotes
Toronto
adamthemute wrote: I've been pretty happy with $10 per pound Kicking Horse coffee (tried Kick Ass/Grizzly/Three Sisters), but can anyone recommend potentially better (subjective, I know) for the price or do I need to dip into the $18+ bags of coffee from specialty shops?
Have you tried Folgers or 1850?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2002
5735 posts
5882 upvotes
Toronto
LuxErus wrote: Any amazon-available beans that you guys recommend? I had heard a lot of hype about the Lavazza Super Crema, and I don't know if it's because the roasting date was 6 months ago but they are disappointing.
I've been trying a few, these are the ones I've preferred and would re-order, so far:

* Gulf Islands Roasting Organic Whole Bean https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07JBKDZX8
* Paradise Mountain Coffee Organic Estate Blend Coffee https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07DJ32FNR

Both more expensive thatn KH. Better body and and less bad edge/aftertaste than similar KH claimed roasts, in my opinion.

I use fine grind with manual drip/cone (pour over boiling water - chemex style but not "slow pour over".)
Last edited by hoob on Sep 18th, 2020 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A glass of wine with you, sir, and the ladies I'll enjoy.
Revolutionary times must on occasion make do with considerable abridgements in order to accentuate the political line more strongly.
Dec 29, 2001
901 posts
171 upvotes
Kitchener/Waterloo
Pay919 wrote: Has anyone tried their light roast Hola?
I enjoyed it but its not for everyone.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2014
1177 posts
806 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Last call for orders since last week's Loblaws sale is now over.

New sale at Fortinos (Ontario) this week for $9.99.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2014
1177 posts
806 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Decaf back in stock for anyone interested.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
4129 posts
2117 upvotes
Pay919 wrote: Has anyone tried their light roast Hola?
Yes it's a really nice light roast. That's next up after I finish Pacific Coast(?) which was really good too, very medium but leaning medium darkish.
Sep 15, 2015
582 posts
364 upvotes
Mooooonnn
lhsonic wrote: Maybe this will sound pretentious, or maybe it's because I'm from Vancouver where we only drink craft beer... But why not support your local roasters and local coffee shops? Most even have the roast date on the packages and the beans are usually as fresh as possible- far fresher than whatever Amazon is selling you.
I thought Lavazza bought KH (but agree to let them keep their brand/same way of operating)?
1. Buy cheap, buy twice
2. Don’t buy because it’s cheap. Buy it when needed or it brings convenience/happiness/better quality in life
3. Buy now think (regret/return) later
4. If the gut says don’t tell your lady, don’t!
Nov 15, 2019
58 posts
68 upvotes
Has anyone tried the Hoodoo Jo? Seems to be the only Kicking Horse blend with African beans (the superior origin of coffee beans IMO).
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
7392 posts
3512 upvotes
Joedest wrote: Has anyone tried the Hoodoo Jo? Seems to be the only Kicking Horse blend with African beans (the superior origin of coffee beans IMO).
Agreed. African beans make delicious coffee. Kenya, Ethiopian and Tanzanian coffees are awesome!
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2007
8090 posts
4596 upvotes
Kootenays
anshiren wrote: I thought Lavazza bought KH (but agree to let them keep their brand/same way of operating)?
They did, but every bean is still roasted in Invermere, BC. They employ 130 people here and are a fantastic employer to work for. People leave mill jobs to work for them if the opportunity comes up. Their founder is still a 20% owner and still runs the day to day operation.
Sep 15, 2015
582 posts
364 upvotes
Mooooonnn
smacd wrote: They did, but every bean is still roasted in Invermere, BC. They employ 130 people here and are a fantastic employer to work for. People leave mill jobs to work for them if the opportunity comes up. Their founder is still a 20% owner and still runs the day to day operation.
Good to know! Will keep ordering from them.
1. Buy cheap, buy twice
2. Don’t buy because it’s cheap. Buy it when needed or it brings convenience/happiness/better quality in life
3. Buy now think (regret/return) later
4. If the gut says don’t tell your lady, don’t!
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
7392 posts
3512 upvotes
smacd wrote: They did, but every bean is still roasted in Invermere, BC. They employ 130 people here and are a fantastic employer to work for. People leave mill jobs to work for them if the opportunity comes up. Their founder is still a 20% owner and still runs the day to day operation.
Nice to hear of a great BC success story. Last time I was shopping down at Fred Meyer in Bellingham (before COVID), I was impressed to see them selling KH in their stores.

Having worked in manufacturing myself, I think it is such a cool thing to do and to have people all over the world actually demand your product. Very inspirational!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)