Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon.ca] Kicking Horse Coffee Whole Beans 454g($9.99)/1Kg($22.20)

  • Last Updated:
  • Jan 10th, 2021 5:59 pm
[OP]
Sr. Member
Mar 24, 2016
965 posts
1472 upvotes
scarborough

[Amazon.ca] Kicking Horse Coffee Whole Beans 454g($9.99)/1Kg($22.20)

Kicking Horse Coffee, Cliff Hanger Espresso
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0027Z ... 9EEQB&th=1

Kicking Horse Coffee, Kick Ass, Dark Roast, Whole Bean
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0027Z ... 9EEQB&th=1

Kicking Horse Coffee, Three Sisters, Medium Roast, Whole Bean,
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0027Z ... 9EEQB&th=1

Kicking Horse Coffee, Smart Ass, Medium Roast, Whole Bean
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0758G ... 9EEQB&th=1
36 replies
Sr. Member
User avatar
Dec 29, 2017
543 posts
455 upvotes
Finally, been waiting for the 1lb cliff-hanger to drop (been $11.99 or higher lately). I believe $7.99 is the lowest, typically in-stores only. I currently have Balzac's from Costco and it's been good enough. I tried 2 types of Lavazza and can't get into it. Thanks OP
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
4615 posts
2708 upvotes
Regular sale price and good time, just ran out.
Sr. Member
Jun 14, 2011
551 posts
536 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Usually how old are these? Not exactly sure what the standards are? Currently mine expires in July or something.
Deal Guru
May 29, 2006
10247 posts
2808 upvotes
im drinking this right now, im not a coffee snob, it tastes just like nabob beans to me, i cant tell the difference.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 10, 2004
6552 posts
2240 upvotes
Vancouver
rocking23nf wrote: im drinking this right now, im not a coffee snob, it tastes just like nabob beans to me, i cant tell the difference.
Nothing wrong with that. It could be you, or it could be the coffee. I found most people can't tell the difference between 2 freshly grounded DARK roast coffees. It's easier with Medium roasts and more easier with Light roasts. Dark roast a lot of times just taste a bit burned and while it's what a lot of people like, it hides flavors and bad quality coffee is mostly always dark roasts. Light roasts is where all the flavor is, but it's way more expensive as it requires better quality coffee and more care.
I haven't tried KK Hola. Seems like this one is on back order.
I use voice typing, expect mistakes...
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 10, 2004
6552 posts
2240 upvotes
Vancouver
xXKEIXx wrote: Usually how old are these? Not exactly sure what the standards are? Currently mine expires in July or something.
Typically 1 year. I try to make sure at least 6 months left. If I get a back that is 1-3 months old, I am always happy. I find amazon is better at that than, say Metro, where it's double the price there and it's on the shelves for months and months.
I use voice typing, expect mistakes...
Sr. Member
Jun 9, 2015
871 posts
936 upvotes
Toronto, ON
ODoyleRulz wrote: Finally, been waiting for the 1lb cliff-hanger to drop (been $11.99 or higher lately). I believe $7.99 is the lowest, typically in-stores only. I currently have Balzac's from Costco and it's been good enough. I tried 2 types of Lavazza and can't get into it. Thanks OP
I tried the Balzac in a Moka pot and it's been absolutely awful. Had great success with just PC espresso grounds though, so I don't think it's poor technique.

How are you Brewing it?
Jr. Member
Nov 15, 2019
102 posts
83 upvotes
Grabbed a KG of Smart Ass. I do wish Kicking Horse had an option with African beans only, but smart ass is decent enough for my daily thermos.

Thanks OP
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 10, 2004
6552 posts
2240 upvotes
Vancouver
One of the worst coffees I've tried was Lavazza Espresso Rossa Beans: https://www.amazon.ca/Lavazza-Espresso- ... B009IU5TQI
It's just horrible. Very little flavor, it's like mud water left over from Tim Hortons coffee lol. Beans are different sizes,and all beans are very small,many tiny or broken pieces. It also nearly destroyed my grinder as there was a ROCK which stuck between the burrs of the grinder. Had to take it apart and pull it out. A rock!!!! I almost had a heart attack when I heard the noise of the burrs trying to grind it... I would recommend everyone to stay away from this particular Red bag. Lavazza does make high end quality coffee beans which are good, but they are much more expensive. This red bag is as cheap as $6/2lb. Their good stuff is rarely on sale and typically around $15-20/lb (eg super crema)
I use voice typing, expect mistakes...
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 20, 2016
2007 posts
1808 upvotes
Toronto
Lampsy wrote: I tried the Balzac in a Moka pot and it's been absolutely awful. Had great success with just PC espresso grounds though, so I don't think it's poor technique.

How are you Brewing it?
I use it (Costco's Balzac's) daily on a regular drip machine, and it's more than satisfactory for the price.

Moka pot normally does better with espresso-like roasts (on the darker side), and with finer ground (not as fine as espresso, but finer than filter/drip); which could be why you're having it better with PC Espresso Ground.
If you're grinding them, try adjusting it - going finer if its too weak/acidic or coarser if its too bitter/burnt.
huuuu! (¬'-')¬ C-('-'Q) straight!
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
4615 posts
2708 upvotes
dazz wrote: One of the worst coffees I've tried was Lavazza Espresso Rossa Beans: https://www.amazon.ca/Lavazza-Espresso- ... B009IU5TQI
It's just horrible. Very little flavor, it's like mud water left over from Tim Hortons coffee lol. Beans are different sizes,and all beans are very small,many tiny or broken pieces. It also nearly destroyed my grinder as there was a ROCK which stuck between the burrs of the grinder. Had to take it apart and pull it out. A rock!!!! I almost had a heart attack when I heard the noise of the burrs trying to grind it... I would recommend everyone to stay away from this particular Red bag. Lavazza does make high end quality coffee beans which are good, but they are much more expensive. This red bag is as cheap as $6/2lb. Their good stuff is rarely on sale and typically around $15-20/lb (eg super crema)
Lavazza owns Kicking Horse now.

Rossa has been pretty good for me, up next on my rotation.

I just bought 3 different ones to rotate. They're pretty good blends but not knock my socks off good. Costco's Balzac is really good, freshness and flavour.

Best though is those mail to order fresh roasted subscriptions, pricey but definitely a difference!
Deal Guru
May 29, 2006
10247 posts
2808 upvotes
bhrm wrote: Lavazza owns Kicking Horse now.

Rossa has been pretty good for me, up next on my rotation.

I just bought 3 different ones to rotate. They're pretty good blends but not knock my socks off good. Costco's Balzac is really good, freshness and flavour.

Best though is those mail to order fresh roasted subscriptions, pricey but definitely a difference!
i bought some lavazza from costco online this week, i havent opened it yet, it says e - aroma on it, im not even sure if its regular coffee or not. it was on sale for like 10$ for 2 LBs.

hopefully its drinkable.
Sr. Member
User avatar
Dec 29, 2017
543 posts
455 upvotes
Lampsy wrote: I tried the Balzac in a Moka pot and it's been absolutely awful. Had great success with just PC espresso grounds though, so I don't think it's poor technique.

How are you Brewing it?
I like the PC espresso as well. I didn't like Balzac the first few pulls but now that I have it dialled in really good it's enjoyable.
I have Breville Pro grinder and the Bambino Plus machine.
Sr. Member
Oct 16, 2007
655 posts
567 upvotes
Montr
I'm looking for good quality coffee beans for our dripper. I've tested a bunch and rarely satisfied. Ironically, the best one so far was the Starbucks. How does it compare or any other suggestion?

Thank you
Sr. Member
Jul 21, 2008
574 posts
317 upvotes
frederixx wrote: I'm looking for good quality coffee beans for our dripper. I've tested a bunch and rarely satisfied. Ironically, the best one so far was the Starbucks. How does it compare or any other suggestion?

Thank you
I do pour over and still think Starbucks is the best. I've been enjoying Starbucks Winter blends too. I've tried the medium blends of Kicking Horse and they were too light for me. If you buy, you may want to go with the dark roast.
Jr. Member
Sep 23, 2011
159 posts
93 upvotes
Vaughan
I just have a tracker on Camelx3 for $10 and order when I get an email and close to running out. It's very often at $10.
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2008
1075 posts
420 upvotes
Vancouver
rocking23nf wrote: i bought some lavazza from costco online this week, i havent opened it yet, it says e - aroma on it, im not even sure if its regular coffee or not. it was on sale for like 10$ for 2 LBs.

hopefully its drinkable.
I quite like the E-Aroma more than the Kicking Horse options. I use Aeropress inverted method. My friend made me an americano with Lavazza Rossa on her Breville. I would say it was still good, definitely not Timmy's bad but i still prefer E-Aroma.

I came from Kicking Horse 3 sisters (also tried 1 lb of Grizzly Claw) to E-Aroma. Both Kicking Horse flavours were well recommended in previous threads.
Deal Guru
May 29, 2006
10247 posts
2808 upvotes
thefeebster wrote: I quite like the E-Aroma more than the Kicking Horse options. I use Aeropress inverted method. My friend made me an americano with Lavazza Rossa on her Breville. I would say it was still good, definitely not Timmy's bad but i still prefer E-Aroma.

I came from Kicking Horse 3 sisters (also tried 1 lb of Grizzly Claw) to E-Aroma. Both Kicking Horse flavours were well recommended in previous threads.
so the 3 sisters is what i was drinking today, and i drink it black with a drip machine, so the e-aroma is just regular coffee then? the bag makes it look like its not.

Top