[Amazon.ca] Kindle Paperwhite $109.99

• Last Updated:
  • May 3rd, 2019 7:11 pm
[OP]
Mar 26, 2007
133 posts
144 upvotes

[Amazon.ca] Kindle Paperwhite $109.99

30$ off the Kindle Paperwhite, 8gb, waterproof!
Last edited by TomRFD on Mar 2nd, 2019 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added price to title
35 replies
Banned
Jun 15, 2012
2837 posts
1004 upvotes
Saskatoon
I wish amazon would make an e-reader with 13” screen.
No need to type thank you; upvote=thanks.
Buffett, investors are focusing “not on what an asset will produce but rather on what the next fellow will pay for it.”

“Because gold is honest money it is disliked by dishonest men.” – R. Paul
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2009
1265 posts
665 upvotes
Calgary
divx wrote: did something change? i got it when it was $99.
The new version? This one is released in Fall last year which has some major upgrades from the previous edition.
Jan 6, 2019
72 posts
107 upvotes
ibuddler wrote: The new version? This one is released in Fall last year which has some major upgrades from the previous edition.
Greatest improvement from the previous version is waterproofing, in doing that there is also no edge to the screen, it's completely flat.
kindle.jpg
Apr 16, 2015
860 posts
506 upvotes
PvtMilhouse wrote: Greatest improvement from the previous version is waterproofing, in doing that there is also no edge to the screen, it's completely flat.

kindle.jpg
Other than those two improvements that’s about all they did improve on them. The resolution is the same and the size is the same as last year’s paperwhite.
If you already have a paperwhite it’s not worth upgrading
Aug 17, 2012
411 posts
277 upvotes
COQUITLAM
I have one of these.

The big change is waterproofing and comes with either 8gb or 32gb internal storage.

Don't bother with the 32gb unless you read a lot of comics/manga. You can fit thousands of regular e-books on the 8gb model.

If you're planning on uploading your own manga, make sure to use Kindle Comic Converter. It will re-size your manga to fit the Kindle's resolution. By doing so, it'll reduce the file size to around 70-100mb per volume (depending on the number of pages).

This model also has the much faster OS for manga. I'm not sure if this update is also present in the older gen Kindles.

Just a note though, the screen for this model is only 6". That can still be small for manga. I still have to zoom in at times depending on how small the texts are. I'd recommend the Oasis instead if you're planning on reading lots of manga.
Last edited by VillageIdiot on Mar 4th, 2019 8:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dec 4, 2018
13 posts
4 upvotes
I have an older Kobo and I'm thinking about giving it to my daughter. Anyone have experience with both Kobo/Kindle? I was thinking about just getting another Kobo for myself, but I don't know if there's any real advantage over getting a Kobo over a Kindle. Kobo is a Canadian company and I want to support them - but also, things are tight right now and the last time I checked it was $140 for the cheapest Kobo I could find in BestBuy.
Aug 17, 2012
411 posts
277 upvotes
COQUITLAM
sarah57 wrote: I have an older Kobo and I'm thinking about giving it to my daughter. Anyone have experience with both Kobo/Kindle? I was thinking about just getting another Kobo for myself, but I don't know if there's any real advantage over getting a Kobo over a Kindle. Kobo is a Canadian company and I want to support them - but also, things are tight right now and the last time I checked it was $140 for the cheapest Kobo I could find in BestBuy.
I heard the Kindle has the better OS/Build quality.

Other than that, Kobo allows you access to libraries renting out books and has e-pub compatibility. Kindle is restricted to proprietary formats. Though honestly this doesn't matter since you can just use Calibre to convert the file format.

Kobo is better if you're into reading comics/manga because Kindle has harsher image compression. For example, a typical manga volume on Kindle is around 70-100mb, while on Kobo, it can go up to 400mb and much higher resolution. This isn't a big deal due to the resolution of a Kobo e-reader, but it does matter if you have a tablet/read on the PC/whenever higher resolution e-readers comes out.

One thing to note on Kobo is that if a book gets an update, you will not automatically get the update. You have to know there is an update, contact customer support and they will update it for you. On Kindle, it's automatic.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
34465 posts
4029 upvotes
Winnipeg
VillageIdiot wrote: I have one of these.

The big change is waterproofing and comes with either 8gb or 32gb internal storage.

Don't bother with the 32gb unless you read a lot of comics/manga. You can fit thousands of regular e-books on the 8gb model.

If you're planning on uploading your own manga, make sure to use Kindle Comic Converter. It will re-size your manga to fit the Kindle's resolution. By doing so, it'll reduce the file size to around 70-100mb per volume (depending on the number of pages).

This model also has the much faster OS for manga. I'm not sure if this update is also present in the older gen Kindles.

Just a note though, the screen for this model is only 6". That can still be small for manga. I still have to zoom in at times depending on how small the texts are. I'd recommend the Oasis instead if you're planning on reading lots of manga.
yes i think the previous version only had 4gb, i suppose that would be a big difference between 4gb and 8gb but ebooks are small and 4gb is still plenty for me.
Feb 11, 2009
82 posts
31 upvotes
Got this for my wife and she loves it. Especially being able to take it on vacation and not worry if its gets a little wet if reading by the pool.
Being able to convert files using Calbre is pretty pain free as well. Cant wait for them to allow for library access like they have in the States and similar to Kobo here.
Dec 12, 2009
809 posts
109 upvotes
Nova Scotia
How easy is it to read epub files on the Kindle?
Jan 6, 2019
72 posts
107 upvotes
mark_in_2k wrote: Kindle doesn't use epub files but it's easy to convert them to .kindle files using the Calibre ebook manager software (completely free).
Calibre work really great, can send your epub file to your kindle email adress.
The book is also converted in the process. Great software.