Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon.ca] Kindle Paperwhite, 6" High-Res Reader (300 ppi) with Light, Wi-Fi $99.99

  • Last Updated:
  • Feb 7th, 2018 9:17 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 31, 2011
1449 posts
1906 upvotes

[Amazon.ca] Kindle Paperwhite, 6" High-Res Reader (300 ppi) with Light, Wi-Fi $99.99

Price dropped again.

Previous thread:
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/amazon-c ... 9-2152873/
79 replies
Sr. Member
Nov 25, 2009
528 posts
310 upvotes
Vancouver
Looking for any discounts on Kobo readers
Deal Addict
User avatar
Apr 18, 2012
2006 posts
2028 upvotes
Came here to post the same deal! Been waiting a couple months for the price drop. Was expecting $120 but this is even better!

Anyone find any decent covers for good price?
Deal Addict
User avatar
Apr 18, 2012
2006 posts
2028 upvotes
grandenoirceur wrote: how often does it go on vsale?
Every few months at 120, but usually only goes for $100 once a year on black friday
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 22, 2014
2891 posts
2229 upvotes
GTA Ontario
wildzero wrote: Came here to post the same deal! Been waiting a couple months for the price drop. Was expecting $120 but this is even better!

Anyone find any decent covers for good price?
The best is Amazon's own because it's genuine leather and will last forever. It's $40:
https://www.amazon.ca/Amazon-Kindle-Pap ... white+case

There are good copies in fake leather (plastic) for $15-20, but they'll eventually split at the hinge from use. The "MoKo" and "Fintie" brands on Amazon are well reviewed and have a huge selection of styles.
There are plenty of copies on eBay that claim to be leather, but usually admit it's "PU leather" (polyurethane, i.e. plastic) somewhere on the page. I was lucky enough to find one that claimed to be genuine leather for about $20, expecting it to be fake and having to return it, but got lucky and it's real (might have been someone at the factory selling them on eBay). But that's a gamble and takes time to find. I'd recommend the genuine Amazon one.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 25, 2003
4908 posts
7000 upvotes
Vancouver
wildzero wrote: Came here to post the same deal! Been waiting a couple months for the price drop. Was expecting $120 but this is even better!

Anyone find any decent covers for good price?
You might want to consider something like this.

Paperwhite has a great feeling to touch and snap-on case would just make it heavier and awkward to hold.

Also, as "everything Kindle" it is usually more expensive at Amazon.xx then eBay...

Just my 2 cents...

Edit:

I actually have one of these, and for my needs it's great.. And if I find nice and cheap _real_ leather one, I even might decide to to go for it... Paperwhite deserves it..! :-)
Last edited by max011 on Feb 3rd, 2018 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He who gives up a little freedom to gain a little security, deserves neither and will lose both. (Benjamin Franklin)
Member
Nov 25, 2009
423 posts
135 upvotes
Duncan
OakAged wrote: The best is Amazon's own because it's genuine leather and will last forever. It's $40:
https://www.amazon.ca/Amazon-Kindle-Pap ... white+case

There are good copies in fake leather (plastic) for $15-20, but they'll eventually split at the hinge from use. The "MoKo" and "Fintie" brands on Amazon are well reviewed and have a huge selection of styles.
There are plenty of copies on eBay that claim to be leather, but usually admit it's "PU leather" (polyurethane, i.e. plastic) somewhere on the page. I was lucky enough to find one that claimed to be genuine leather for about $20, expecting it to be fake and having to return it, but got lucky and it's real (might have been someone at the factory selling them on eBay). But that's a gamble and takes time to find. I'd recommend the genuine Amazon one.
Bought this for my paperwhite, fits like a glove and has held up wonderfully. Definitely worth buying.
Member
Dec 17, 2002
435 posts
23 upvotes
Paperwhite only have 3gb storage. Is that kind of small?
Can I use it to read anything from overdrive( library eBook) or Zinio magazine?

Thanks
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 25, 2003
4908 posts
7000 upvotes
Vancouver
bob318 wrote: Paperwhite only have 3gb storage. Is that kind of small?
Can I use it to read anything from overdrive( library eBook) or Zinio magazine?

Thanks
3GB for books is like A LOT... More than 'nuff...

Kindle will not work w/library eBooks out of the box. You need to research some well known workarounds, so it is possible.

Don't know about magazines..

However, if a library borrowing is something you seriously considering and/or doing, maybe you should look into Kobo... Their readers do that easy, and have the Pocket app. interface built straight in as well...

Edit:
This just reminded me how much I miss integrated Pocket... :-(
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He who gives up a little freedom to gain a little security, deserves neither and will lose both. (Benjamin Franklin)
Sr. Member
Aug 4, 2007
693 posts
3916 upvotes
Mississauga
I've got my first e-reader on Black Friday and it was Kindle Paperwhite. I've had some PDF material but when trying to read it on the Kindle I've run into issues: either I had to hold it sideways or it wasn't comfortable to read (zoom in too much or not enough). It was frustrating and I was thinking that maybe I should've gone with a larger screen e-reader. However, I have found a workaround.

For Mobi Format:

Attach the .mobi file to an email, send it to your Kindle's email address (with any subject, and no body in the email), and it should appear on your Kindle shortly. You can also drag and drop the file onto your Kindle if you attach the device to your PC with a USB cable.

For PDF Format:

You get two choices. If you want your Kindle to display every page in the PDF as if it were a graphic, you have to email the .pdf file to your Kindle's address w/o a subject line. That will maintain the formatting and graphics, but the font size may be too small to read. (That's the issue that I had). If you're OK with this kind of formatting, you can also drag and drop the file onto your Kindle if you attach the device to your PC with a USB cable.

Another option is to attach the .pdf file to an email, and make the subject line "convert" (just that word). Send it to your Kindle email address and your PDF will be converted automatically into a Mobi file, where you can control the font size and formatting. The graphics will still be in there as well, but you'll lose the layout of the original PDF.

I hope it would be helpful to new users.
Sr. Member
Jul 19, 2015
559 posts
550 upvotes
London, ON
-=PASHA=- wrote: I've got my first e-reader on Black Friday and it was Kindle Paperwhite. I've had some PDF material but when trying to read it on the Kindle I've run into issues: either I had to hold it sideways or it wasn't comfortable to read (zoom in too much or not enough). It was frustrating and I was thinking that maybe I should've gone with a larger screen e-reader. However, I have found a workaround.

For Mobi Format:

Attach the .mobi file to an email, send it to your Kindle's email address (with any subject, and no body in the email), and it should appear on your Kindle shortly. You can also drag and drop the file onto your Kindle if you attach the device to your PC with a USB cable.

For PDF Format:

You get two choices. If you want your Kindle to display every page in the PDF as if it were a graphic, you have to email the .pdf file to your Kindle's address w/o a subject line. That will maintain the formatting and graphics, but the font size may be too small to read. (That's the issue that I had). If you're OK with this kind of formatting, you can also drag and drop the file onto your Kindle if you attach the device to your PC with a USB cable.

Another option is to attach the .pdf file to an email, and make the subject line "convert" (just that word). Send it to your Kindle email address and your PDF will be converted automatically into a Mobi file, where you can control the font size and formatting. The graphics will still be in there as well, but you'll lose the layout of the original PDF.

I hope it would be helpful to new users.
Use calibre and convert any format you want to exact specifications you prefer. Have had no issues with anything.
Sr. Member
Jul 19, 2015
559 posts
550 upvotes
London, ON
Hot deal OP. This price comes up rarely and the device is worth it. Glad I replaced my kobo with this, no comparison.
Sr. Member
Jan 27, 2013
871 posts
973 upvotes
xFRUGALITYx wrote: Hot deal OP. This price comes up rarely and the device is worth it. Glad I replaced my kobo with this, no comparison.
agreed
Sr. Member
Dec 29, 2007
526 posts
273 upvotes
This is pretty much strictly for reading books? Is there anything else I would want this for?
Member
Jun 23, 2010
313 posts
186 upvotes
North York
cjam wrote: This is pretty much strictly for reading books? Is there anything else I would want this for?
I use mine to read a lot of online clippings saved for offline
My Shopify: GElectronics
New product: Xiaomi Portable Air Compressor
Sr. Member
User avatar
Nov 14, 2017
661 posts
1046 upvotes
Vancouver
cjam wrote: This is pretty much strictly for reading books? Is there anything else I would want this for?
To answer your question, not really. It functions solely as an exceptional e-reader.

I love reading, and have wanted an e-reader for a while, especially when I am carrying a large fantasy book around with me everywhere. But I also wanted something I could travel with and browse the web, and maybe watch some Netflix on. I opted for the Amazon Fire tablet. It is also on sale at the moment and functions, according to reviews I've read, as a pretty good e-reader. The main cons being the ppi (dpi) which is about 189 in comparison to the Paperwhite's 300, and the more reflective screen. Otherwise it seems to be the best tablet/e-reader on the mark
Newbie
Mar 12, 2017
86 posts
34 upvotes
Bought this back in Nov/Dec for same price and it's been solid. Amazon had a bunch of free classic books a while back and they all pushed to the reader. Easy to convert epubs to mobi as well with the different converters available online.
Member
Dec 3, 2003
239 posts
67 upvotes
Ooh I am SO tempted! Contemplated the paperwhite on and off the last couple of years and got the iPad mini instead, which is used for occasional reading but the glare does get distracting. What to do...

Top