Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon.ca] Kindle Paperwhite, 6" High-Resolution Display (300 ppi) with Built-in Light, Wi-Fi - $99.99

• Last Updated:
  • May 15th, 2018 6:52 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2011
1433 posts
1896 upvotes

[Amazon.ca] Kindle Paperwhite, 6" High-Resolution Display (300 ppi) with Built-in Light, Wi-Fi - $99.99

62 replies
Deal Addict
May 23, 2008
2165 posts
378 upvotes
Vaughan, Ontario
I've seen this price quite a few times this year. Thanks, OP.
Nov 5, 2015
178 posts
96 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Thanks for the heads up OP, was waiting for this deal to reappear. Cheers!
Temp. Banned
Apr 13, 2016
747 posts
491 upvotes
I can't wait for these e-readers to be really good with a fast processor for instant page turning. They are pretty good now but I was in the store testing them out and they didn't seem that much better than my Kobo Glo. I think buying used is the way you go... typically, people will buy these and then never use them, so they will sell on Kijiji. You can find them in near mint condition, too.
[Inappropriate signature]
Apr 30, 2017
410 posts
584 upvotes
Saint-Hubert, Quebec
snipzy wrote: I can't wait for these e-readers to be really good with a fast processor for instant page turning. They are pretty good now but I was in the store testing them out and they didn't seem that much better than my Kobo Glo. I think buying used is the way you go... typically, people will buy these and then never use them, so they will sell on Kijiji. You can find them in near mint condition, too.
I used to have the Glo. My wife gave me the Aura One for Christmas (it's a niche product which I'm in the niche for) and it's night and day. It's much faster plus the blue light gets orange when it's nighttime which is amazing. It's expensive tho.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
3860 posts
2781 upvotes
snipzy wrote: I can't wait for these e-readers to be really good with a fast processor for instant page turning.
It's not the processor, it's the eInk display that takes a noticeable fraction of a second to update. All the e-readers get their screens from the same supplier (https://www.eink.com/), the only company in the business. They improve the response time of the screens incrementally each year.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2003
4596 posts
6255 upvotes
Vancouver
snipzy wrote: I can't wait for these e-readers to be really good with a fast processor for instant page turning. They are pretty good now but I was in the store testing them out and they didn't seem that much better than my Kobo Glo. I think buying used is the way you go... typically, people will buy these and then never use them, so they will sell on Kijiji. You can find them in near mint condition, too.
I was soooo happy when I got read of my Kobo Glo HD... Oh, man, can't even compare it to Paperwhite... Hope the guy who followed your advice and got it of me on Craig's is happy... It was POS in mint condition...
"A fool and his money are soon parted" Thomas Tusser (1524-1580)
Temp. Banned
Apr 13, 2016
747 posts
491 upvotes
max011 wrote: I was soooo happy when I got read of my Kobo Glo HD... Oh, man, can't even compare it to Paperwhite... Hope the guy who followed your advice and got it of me on Craig's is happy... It was POS in mint condition...
Err... the one I have is actually the Kobo Glo HD. It's great, mate... c'mon! 300 ppi just like the Paperwhite. What makes the Paperwhite so much better? What do you notice, since you had both? I need to go look at it in a store somewhere.
[Inappropriate signature]
Sep 6, 2011
235 posts
22 upvotes
Oakville
can't agree more cuz I was the guy who bought it and then sold it, lost $30... LOL
Feb 11, 2018
55 posts
6 upvotes
The price is attractive. However, I am hesitated because I am not sure whether I will use it frequently.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2010
1800 posts
263 upvotes
snipzy wrote: Err... the one I have is actually the Kobo Glo HD. It's great, mate... c'mon! 300 ppi just like the Paperwhite. What makes the Paperwhite so much better? What do you notice, since you had both? I need to go look at it in a store somewhere.
The big difference is the software of Kobo vs Kindle.
How can an ant carry twenty times its body weight, but root beer floats are still delicious?
Banned
Oct 5, 2015
951 posts
665 upvotes
Outremont, QC
Tempting deal
That’s the lowest price I have seen
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2006
1406 posts
609 upvotes
snipzy wrote: I can't wait for these e-readers to be really good with a fast processor for instant page turning.
You must be a super fast reader; who can read as the page rendering done!
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
3860 posts
2781 upvotes
sixteen12 wrote: The big difference is the software of Kobo vs Kindle.
There isn't a lot to choose between any of the e-readers, They all have the same form factor, use the same screens supplied by eInk, and a pretty similar processor and memory. The reading controls work the same, and while reading you'd have a hard time figuring out which brand you were using. A few of the extra software features can be nice to have, but honestly don't make a big difference to most people.

It really depends mostly on which ecosystem you are already committed to, Amazon or epub, and even then it's more of a convenience factor since it's not hard to convert ebooks back and forth with an app like Calibre.

I will say that two features do make a big difference, regardless of brand:

1. Size. 7" or 8" size instead of 6" makes a much bigger reading difference than you would think. But at the moment you pay a big premium for > 6".

2. Screen light. Don't buy a cheap model without the built-in screen light.
Jun 18, 2015
312 posts
227 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
Just bought one for my wife's bday last week !! I'm guessing they'll give me the difference or I'll just threaten to return it and re-buy