Expired Hot Deals

Amazon.ca

Kindle Paperwhite (8 GB) $109.99 ($39.99 off)

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 10th, 2022 8:24 pm
[OP]
Nov 23, 2021
130 posts
355 upvotes

[Amazon.ca] Kindle Paperwhite (8 GB) $109.99 ($39.99 off)

A pretty great ereader for an ATL price according to camel^3. And it finally has USB C. This price actually makes it cheaper than the newly announced base Kindle. For $10 more, you can double the storage to 16gb.

The 32gb Kindle Signature Edition is also on sale for $159.99, down from $209.99. In addition to having 32gb of storage, it has an automatically adjusting front light and wireless charging.

On a personal note, I just need to decide if USB C and a slightly better front light warrants upgrading from my 2018 Kindle Paperwhite.

Edit: 30% off student prime deal has expired

Edit: I checked my (student prime) account this morning and was was able to place a new order with the 30KINDLE promo code, bringing my total for the Kindle Paperwhite Essentials Bundle to $105.06 including tax. Thanks to Xoanan and michaely for that information. This promo ends October 3rd 11:59pm
Last edited by qwedss on Oct 4th, 2022 10:04 pm, edited 6 times in total.
79 replies
Mar 8, 2008
464 posts
778 upvotes
gatineau
I picked up one of these last November during Black Friday deals.

I didn't have to recharge it for 5 months. My reading is only nightly, about 1 hour.

I was using a kindle Fire tablet with the kindle app before that, and I had to keep it charged weekly. For pure reading, this is the way.
Mar 12, 2012
636 posts
749 upvotes
Belleville
Amazing deal as prime student members can stack extra 30% off with 30KINDLE
Deal Guru
Dec 10, 2004
12641 posts
3575 upvotes
Kanata
Great e-reader. I was able to get an additional 20% off and no tax on my purchase before, after mentioning via chat, that I was going to upgrade from a Fire Tablet 8 HD to this for reading e-books. At the time, they were offering something on amazon.com (trade-in) but it wasn't available on amazon.ca, and they matched it somewhat. Came out to around $85 after all said and done, and I didn't have to send in the Fire Tablet.
Jul 10, 2019
569 posts
501 upvotes
Xoanan wrote: Amazing deal as prime student members can stack extra 30% off with 30KINDLE
weird, i guess i still have amazon prime for student. came to 88$ total w/ taxes
only price errors are true deals - such is the philosophy of RFD.
Oct 13, 2014
196 posts
234 upvotes
Victoria, BC
Ironically I first read this as Kindle "Paperweight", which as it turns out our current one is :D
[OP]
Nov 23, 2021
130 posts
355 upvotes
Xoanan wrote: Amazing deal as prime student members can stack extra 30% off with 30KINDLE
Interesting, I have student prime and this doesn't seem to be working for me. Just to confirm, this is on the 8gb paper white model?
Mar 12, 2012
636 posts
749 upvotes
Belleville
Terms and Conditions
• Offer expires at 11:59 p.m. (PT) on October 3, 2022.
• Offer only valid for Amazon Prime Student members. To redeem this offer, enter the promo code 30KINDLE during checkout.
• The 30% off device promotional code only applies toward the purchase of a new Kindle (10th gen), Kindle Essentials Bundle (10th gen), Kindle Paperwhite (11th gen), Kindle Paperwhite Essentials Bundle (11th gen), Kindle Oasis (10th gen), or Kindle Oasis Essentials Bundle (10th gen) that is shipped and sold by Amazon.ca and does not apply to other digital products, pre-owned devices, or products sold by sellers other than Amazon.ca (look for "sold by Amazon.ca " on the product or content detail page). Devices sold by third-party sellers or other Amazon entities will not qualify for this offer, even if "fulfilled by Amazon.ca" or "Prime Eligible.”
• Offer good while supplies last.
• Shipping charges and taxes may apply to the full value of discounted and free promotional items.
• If you return the product related to this offer, your refund will equal the amount you paid for the product, subject to applicable refund policies.
• Offer limited to one per customer and account.
• Offer may not be combined with other offers.
• Amazon reserves the right to modify or cancel the offer at any time.
• Offer is non-transferable and may not be resold.
• If you violate any of these terms, the offer will be invalid.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2006
1848 posts
208 upvotes
Vancouver
8GB vs 16GB.
This is purely for books and not any manga or comics.
Would I benefit from 16GB storage?
I know the 8GB version was $119 in the past. Decisions.
Aug 22, 2022
18 posts
38 upvotes
Anyone able to side load overdrive or any other app to borrow from Canadian libraries? Or anyway to get a US library membership? Looks like Kindle books/Overdrive is only available for US libraries.
Jul 30, 2021
180 posts
449 upvotes
How to get Prime student?
Amazon has somewhere to add a student email?
Apr 17, 2009
108 posts
128 upvotes
I decided to purchase the Signature Edition Essentials Bundle (https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B09FP35Z8J/) instead which includes a wireless charging dock and leather cover (options for fabric and cork covers). Using the 30KINDLE coupon, total came to $128.28 before taxes. The extra value seemed worth it as most 3rd party covers cost around $20 anyways which makes the wireless charging dock a $8 add on.

EDIT: Looks like the 30% is applied to the non-deal price of $248.97 so it's a better deal than I initially realized since only the bundles are priced as Prime Exclusive Deals. Results in the bundle costing $16 extra which is less than what a 3rd party cover costs.
Last edited by michaely on Oct 1st, 2022 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
May 24, 2007
154 posts
133 upvotes
Toronto
qwedss wrote: Interesting, I have student prime and this doesn't seem to be working for me. Just to confirm, this is on the 8gb paper white model?
Doesnt work for me either, tried both 8gb and 16gb. Looks like i had fulfilled all the condition, error message pops up when i enter the code.

Update: talked to the CC and he said the 30% off discount was user specific, only email recipients would get the discount. He ending up gave me a courtesy credit to make up the 30% off discount.
Mar 12, 2012
636 posts
749 upvotes
Belleville
frankykw wrote: Doesnt work for me either, tried both 8gb and 16gb. Looks like i had fulfilled all the condition, error message pops up when i enter the code.

Update: talked to the CC and he said the 30% off discount was user specific, only email recipients would get the discount. He ending up gave me a courtesy credit to make up the 30% off discount.
Interesting. I didn't get an email, I only knew because there was a banner on the product Page
Deal Addict
Oct 31, 2010
1865 posts
1353 upvotes
I'm surprised this thread didn't receive more attention. It's a great deal, and definitely an ATL with the additional 30% off.

Are there any hacks/custom ROMs for this model? Any tips to make the device run smoother? E-readers -- even recent models -- are all generally pretty sluggish.
Jun 22, 2022
33 posts
30 upvotes
yashgandhi wrote: Can you side load epubs? Asking for friend.
Amazon said they're adding this feature sometime in late 2022, but it is just going to be via the 'send to kindle' feature. You can just use Calibre which will convert them though. I do this as well and convert them all to .AZW3.
Dec 4, 2013
76 posts
146 upvotes
Calgary
Thanks OP. I currently have a 2018 Paperwhite bought in Dec 2020 like you but picked up this one with the Prime Student discount for $80.84 total (Alberta). I'll just resell, gift, or move the 2018 Kindle to another bedroom. But for $80 the USB-C, larger display, and warm backlight is worth it to me since I use it almost everyday.
Mar 14, 2018
598 posts
743 upvotes
Will covers for earlier versions of kindle fit this one? Tempted to upgrade but don’t want to spend money on another cover. TIA.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)