Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon.ca] Kindle Paperwhite Wifi $99 (Prime Member Exclusive)

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 23rd, 2018 8:33 am
[OP]
Nov 10, 2016
2 posts
22 upvotes

[Amazon.ca] Kindle Paperwhite Wifi $99 (Prime Member Exclusive)

Not sure how long this is going on for; usually retails for $139, and seems to be only for the wifi kindle device

It's prime exclusive, but works if you have a Prime trial membership.
Last edited by TomRFD on Apr 9th, 2018 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: retailer edit
75 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2003
4619 posts
6450 upvotes
Vancouver
Shows $139 for me....

Edit:

Oh, I see the catch...

It's often $99 straight these days, worth waiting for.
"A fool and his money are soon parted" Thomas Tusser (1524-1580)
Mar 22, 2013
997 posts
1566 upvotes
Toronto
Aww you beat me to it! Upvoted!

Been refreshing the product page every day since my Nook's screen got damaged. Also considered the Kobo Aura 2 (edited to reflect I meant Kobo, not Nook), but this is cheaper and has a better PPI, though it doesn't support EPUB, which is a popular format. Would have liked to support the Canadian company, but gotta save where you can.
Last edited by althanis on Apr 9th, 2018 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mar 22, 2013
997 posts
1566 upvotes
Toronto
grandenoirceur wrote: I'd rather pay an extra $30 for epub support.
Have you actually done that? Spent $30 more for a lower PPI ebook reader (which is what you'll stare at for many, many hours) rather than spend a few minutes converting your books?
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
3860 posts
2781 upvotes
althanis wrote: Been refreshing the product page every day since my Nook's screen got damaged. Also considered the Nook Aura 2, but this is cheaper and has a better PPI, though it doesn't support EPUB, which is a popular format. Would have liked to support the Canadian company, but gotta save where you can.
Nook is a brand of the U.S. company Barnes & Noble, see https://www.barnesandnoble.com/b/nook/_/N-1pbl

Probably you mean Kobo, the Canadian company once owned by Chapters-Indigo, but now owned by Japanese company Rakuten, see https://ca.kobobooks.com/?utm_source=Ko ... mpaign=All

I don't think the epub vs. azw thing matters much if you're using apps like Calibre that can convert.

I do think that screen contrast and screen light uniformity is more important than resolution for viewing comfort. The resolution is fine on all of these e-readers, whether it's 210dpi or 300dpi. But unfortunately there's no accepted measure of screen contrast or screen light uniformity. You just have to look at them side-by-side. And don't compare models with different case colors (like black vs. white) - it's amazing how that can fool your eye when it comes to judging contrast.
Nov 6, 2014
440 posts
334 upvotes
Kelowna, BC
Kobo Canada has "refurb" original Aura HD on eBay for $79.99 ++. Seven inch 265dpi. I have bought two of them. They are not actually refurb but old stock that was held for warranty replacements. Will read pretty much any format and not locked down in any way. Firmware still getting updates, last January 18. Just a suggestion for an alternative.
May 2, 2015
506 posts
475 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Bluiis48 wrote: Kobo Canada has "refurb" original Aura HD on eBay for $79.99 ++. Seven inch 265dpi. I have bought two of them. They are not actually refurb but old stock that was held for warranty replacements. Will read pretty much any format and not locked down in any way. Firmware still getting updates, last January 18. Just a suggestion for an alternative.
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Kobo-Aura-HD-re ... SwPGpahfGa

this one. thanks for mentioning this. this looks like a better deal. any thoughts?
Temp. Banned
Apr 13, 2016
747 posts
491 upvotes
I have a Kobo Glo, first gen. I wonder if it's worth upgrading to this...
[Inappropriate signature]
Jun 14, 2010
147 posts
8 upvotes
Mississauga
Total cost is $98.30 incl. taxes and shipping. :(
Mar 22, 2013
997 posts
1566 upvotes
Toronto
snipzy wrote: I have a Kobo Glo, first gen. I wonder if it's worth upgrading to this...
If you already have one that's working I wouldn't bother. Fight the need to be on that endless cycle of upgrading and needing the next better version. I wouldn't be in the market at all if my years-old Kobo was still working.
Mar 22, 2013
997 posts
1566 upvotes
Toronto
DannymcG wrote: Total cost is $98.30 incl. taxes and shipping. :(
This makes it less attractive, because the Aura HD requires $7 shipping. At the end of the day, it's just $15 less than Amazon's Paperwhite.

I'm really torn, because I wouldn't mind saving the $15 and get rid of the need for doing all the conversions. Can anyone chime in on which is the better reading experience?

The Aura HD has a bigger screen at 6.8 inches with 265DPI, while the Paperwhite has a 6 inch screen with 300DPI.
Nov 6, 2014
440 posts
334 upvotes
Kelowna, BC
DannymcG wrote: Total cost is $98.30 incl. taxes and shipping. :(
Yes, bought my last one for my wife when Ebay had 15% discount day, don't know if they will do that in the second quarter. The Kindle would be about $113 with tax so not a lot in it. Just mentioned it because of the larger screen and the ability to read epub and possibly more other formats than Kindle. Also I am very happy with the Kobo although I have not tried a Kindle. As always depend on one's personal needs and preference. Maybe Kobo will allow pick-up if you message them. They ship from Mississauga.