• Feb 26th, 2018 2:53 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2010
1299 posts
464 upvotes
Montreal,QC

[Amazon.ca] King whetstone 35.80$

Been eyeing a King whetstone 1000/6000 grit lately and it dropped by a whopping 4$ (It rarely goes on sale, camelx3 shows a lowest price of 30$ but it's been new sellers =scam)
Link: King whetstone link

EDIT: The guide rails deal is dead.
At the same time, looked for knife guide rails for the whetstone, the Global Minosharp clip-on guide rails are on sale from 30$ to 10.87$ (camelx3 shows a lowest price or 9.53 on feb 21,2018, but what makes this hot is it's been 30$ forever.
There's a cheaper version (18$) of the global guide rails but this is now cheaper at 10.87$
Link: DEAD: now 27$ Global Minosharp guide-rail
Last edited by irodeo on Feb 26th, 2018 2:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
10 replies
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2010
1299 posts
464 upvotes
Montreal,QC
nUseBro wrote: deal dead already?

Wow that was quick.
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2008
2236 posts
1574 upvotes
Genuine question as I'm not too vested into expensive knives or sharpeners. I've been using a cheap sharpening stone which I got for $3 from a local supermarket.

What's the difference? It doesn't have the coarse ratings on it of course. I have been using it on my knives and it gets sharp, but the edges are not clean (scratch marks)... Will it help reduce the scratch marks or it is just my skills?. :(

My knife also gets dull after a month or so after daily cooking, but that could be my knife. Anyone have experience with these equipments and can share?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 15, 2015
8712 posts
5093 upvotes
ON
slimysnot wrote: Genuine question as I'm not too vested into expensive knives or sharpeners. I've been using a cheap sharpening stone which I got for $3 from a local supermarket.

What's the difference? It doesn't have the coarse ratings on it of course. I have been using it on my knives and it gets sharp, but the edges are not clean (scratch marks)... Will it help reduce the scratch marks or it is just my skills?. :(

My knife also gets dull after a month or so after daily cooking, but that could be my knife. Anyone have experience with these equipments and can share?
Wow, are you only cutting butter or your knife is that good ? I do mine every week if I use daily.
To answer your question , the grit you use determines if there will be scratches after you're done. I usually finish with 5000 and it's almost polished. The cheaper stones are not too consistent in grit size so you can have contamination in the stone(bigger grit on finer stone) and that would cause scratches as well.
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2008
2236 posts
1574 upvotes
dilligafeh wrote: Wow, are you only cutting butter or your knife is that good ? I do mine every week if I use daily.
To answer your question , the grit you use determines if there will be scratches after you're done. I usually finish with 5000 and it's almost polished. The cheaper stones are not too consistent in grit size so you can have contamination in the stone(bigger grit on finer stone) and that would cause scratches as well.
ah, thanks. So the scratches are from using cheaper stones.

p.s. I only use the knife to cut vegetables so maybe that's why? I am also quite lazy so will cut with the sharper side as each parts get dull :)... and my standards of "sharp" may be lower too. The knife I use is just the "higher end" PC brand knife, but I would say it's definitely priced well for it's quality. (got it for about $20 on sale on tax free day).
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2010
1299 posts
464 upvotes
Montreal,QC
balou911 wrote: Bed bath and beyond.ca

Global MinoSharp Knife Sharpening Guide Rails

Link - Knife guide rails
The same goes for 18$ on amazon link . This one has no clip. It seems it can scratch the knife.
it is different than on my OP.
Apr 24, 2012
96 posts
37 upvotes
CALGARY
dilligafeh wrote: Wow, are you only cutting butter or your knife is that good ? I do mine every week if I use daily.
Weekly is way to often to sharpen your knives for home use. Are you using a honing rod each time you use the knives?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 15, 2015
8712 posts
5093 upvotes
ON
Seifer129 wrote: Weekly is way to often to sharpen your knives for home use. Are you using a honing rod each time you use the knives?
No. I just give it a quick pass on the stone once they're too dull for me. I keep my knives razor sharp, and that's why I do it more often.
Last edited by dilligafeh on Feb 26th, 2018 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mar 10, 2012
41 posts
40 upvotes
slimysnot wrote: ah, thanks. So the scratches are from using cheaper stones.

p.s. I only use the knife to cut vegetables so maybe that's why? I am also quite lazy so will cut with the sharper side as each parts get dull :)... and my standards of "sharp" may be lower too. The knife I use is just the "higher end" PC brand knife, but I would say it's definitely priced well for it's quality. (got it for about $20 on sale on tax free day).
Generally cheaper stones wear out faster and they don't wear out at the same rate. This can lead to uneven sharpening of your blade and even micro-damaging of your blade.

The scratches on your blade can be either skill or stone based. For example, if it's on the body of the blade then it's your skill because you're not holding your blade at a constant angle. If it's on the edge, which you usually can't see, you should try using a higher grit or stropping your blade to finish off the sharpening.