Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon Canada] KingDian 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD (S280 480GB) - $60.99 taxes in

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 24th, 2019 3:50 pm
Jul 15, 2009
252 posts
326 upvotes
Toronto
cfenton wrote:
Jun 21st, 2019 6:12 pm
It looks like planar TLC with a basic Phison controller. I'd stay away unless you really can't afford something better or don't care if it dies in a few years.
The KingDians use Silicon Motion controllers. Planar (2D) vs. 3D TLC makes absolutely no difference to the end user. 3D TLC allows higher capacity fabrication at lower costs (i.e. it reduces the cost for the manufacturer), while providing no performance benefit and slightly reducing reliability. If they are being sold at the same price, prefer the 2D.
Jun 5, 2019
13 posts
26 upvotes
anatman wrote:
Jun 21st, 2019 6:52 pm
The KingDians use Silicon Motion controllers. Planar (2D) vs. 3D TLC makes absolutely no difference to the end user. 3D TLC allows higher capacity fabrication at lower costs (i.e. it reduces the cost for the manufacturer), while providing no performance benefit and slightly reducing reliability. If they are being sold at the same price, prefer the 2D.
There's a user picture on the Amazon page that shows a Phison controller, and not a particularly good one from what I can tell. 3D NAND, in general, has better endurance. I'm not sure why you'd say it's less reliable. By moving to 3D NAND the manufacturers were able to use larger nodes again, which should make it more reliable than recent planar stuff made on really tiny nodes. If this thing was $40, I might risk it, but at $60 I'd rather pay a bit more and get an MX500 or WD Blue.
Jul 15, 2009
252 posts
326 upvotes
Toronto
cfenton wrote:
Jun 21st, 2019 8:55 pm
There's a user picture on the Amazon page that shows a Phison controller, and not a particularly good one from what I can tell. 3D NAND, in general, has better endurance. I'm not sure why you'd say it's less reliable. By moving to 3D NAND the manufacturers were able to use larger nodes again, which should make it more reliable than recent planar stuff made on really tiny nodes. If this thing was $40, I might risk it, but at $60 I'd rather pay a bit more and get an MX500 or WD Blue.
I strongly suspect that that picture is from a different drive (it doesn't even have DDR RAM). I think KingDian used to sell cacheless drives back in the day, so Amazon probably just grouped reviews from all their drives regardless of model. I'd recommend opening the drive and checking what's in there (I definitely checked my drives that I got from AliExpress). The controller and more specs are available through the AliExpress listings: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/KingDia ... 76665.html . If you're willing to wait, buying them direct from KingDian through AliExpress is a good option.
Jan 23, 2019
105 posts
46 upvotes
Leafs Nation
It's not much cheaper via AliExpress it seems. $46.72 = ~$61 CAD.
Apr 1, 2008
764 posts
34 upvotes
GTA
I've had two kingdian drives fail that I bought three months ago. Would not recommend. They progressively slowed down and I/o would delay for minutes. Eventually got to the point that I can only have it powered and accessible for 15-20 secs before the drive stalls.
Jul 15, 2009
252 posts
326 upvotes
Toronto
Rubedizzle wrote:
Jun 21st, 2019 9:50 pm
I've had two kingdian drives fail that I bought three months ago. Would not recommend. They progressively slowed down and I/o would delay for minutes. Eventually got to the point that I can only have it powered and accessible for 15-20 secs before the drive stalls.
SSDs are like the least failure prone component of any system by an order of magnitude at least. Having two fail is very suspicious. Are you sure it's not cable/sata controller issue? KingDians have crazy good reviews everywhere I've looked (and I looked plenty hard before buying a bunch for my unRAID cache array).

EDIT: I guess it's possible the Amazon reseller is actually selling cacheless KingDians. Failure of cacheless drives is pretty well guaranteed. Chuck them open see what is inside.
Apr 1, 2008
764 posts
34 upvotes
GTA
anatman wrote:
Jun 21st, 2019 10:06 pm
SSDs are like the least failure prone component of any system by an order of magnitude at least. Having two fail is very suspicious. Are you sure it's not cable/sata controller issue? KingDians have crazy good reviews everywhere I've looked (and I looked plenty hard before buying a bunch for my unRAID cache array).

EDIT: I guess it's possible the Amazon reseller is actually selling cacheless KingDians. Failure of cacheless drives is pretty well guaranteed. Chuck them open see what is inside.
Yes, positive it is not cable/sata controller issues. Both drives show warning status in hd tune, in multiple computers and USB sata drive enclosure. One drive is worse than the other, but both are unusable at this point. Trying to get data off of one of them was a chore.

I contacted the Amazon seller and I have to ship these back to China. Both were purchased same day, installed in each laptop same day, and had similar life spans thus far.

These are the second and third SSD's I have had fail in 9 years or so, the first being a Corsair 120GB back when they were $200 CAD. That one failed after 6+ years of use.
Jun 8, 2007
317 posts
381 upvotes
Langley
Good drive for the Steam library. Thanks!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2008
2472 posts
648 upvotes
GTA
anatman wrote:
Jun 21st, 2019 10:06 pm

So mine was delivered today, if I open it up what am I looking for in terms of how to tell if it it cacheless or not?

edit - here's the inside
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2018
10367 posts
10493 upvotes
Good, now cut into the board. I need to see a crossection to be sure.
Sep 4, 2009
442 posts
185 upvotes
Calgary
If you google the number of the chip on the left:

http://www.siliconmotion.com/download.p ... FFeE1UQTVD

SATA 6Gb/s DRAM-less SSD Controller

The other chip is the flash chip... looks like the H25QFT8F4A

https://www.skhynix.com/eng/product/nandRaw.jsp

Look under TLC
- Don't support hoarding. Do your research, decide on the price you want to pay for it. Don't ever pay more than that.
Deal Fanatic
May 18, 2009
5405 posts
1106 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Are these made with stolen Micron tech?