Hot Deals

[Amazon Canada] Kingdom Hearts 3 for 24.99$ (Ps4)

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 15th, 2019 8:11 am
Feb 22, 2012
471 posts
532 upvotes
Canada
Ter350056 wrote:
Oct 24th, 2019 3:33 am
It was a purposefully half-finished game.
It baffles me how this could be the case given the exceedingly long development time of this particular title.

Maybe all the DLC was coded pre-launch also?

Everyone is so used to these tactics (well true RFD'ers anyhow) that even though I want to buy a game such as Mortal Kombat 11, I know I'm better served to wait for the GOTY complete edition with all the DLC that will certainly show up at some point at half the price or less. If all this DLC was free in the first place, these companies would see much higher day 1 purchases and early adopters.
RFD: Pick any two.
In stock
Low Price
Quality Product
Dec 10, 2014
618 posts
412 upvotes
Toronto, ON
chemicalxv wrote:
Oct 23rd, 2019 12:08 am
They also left out all the Final Fantasy characters except for flashbacks.

An entire series that basically started as a Disney/FF crossover with the story centered around some original characters, left out the FF characters in its final installment.
wtf really? Lol I thought about getting a PS4 just to play Kingdom Hearts 3. I was obsessed with it as a kid, I remember getting EGM magazine reading about KH2 and Metal Gear Solid 3 leaks.

And that was in 2006, it took them 13 years to get another game out when originally it was supposed to be 3 years. Totally lost interest in it now.
Jun 7, 2018
36 posts
67 upvotes
The FF parts of the series were always a small portion of each game anyways. Still a good game imo
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
14154 posts
4297 upvotes
Montreal
junglemage666 wrote:
Oct 23rd, 2019 9:54 am
I highly recommend paying the extra $10-15 for deluxe, u get a steel book, the artbook and a limited edition pin of Sora.
Yep, bought that a few weeks ago when the PS4 price dropped, but it's difficult to find a copy now, especially sealed.
Official Response from Dollarama Management:

Dollarama has a no exchange/no refund policy, and as a result, all sales are final. This information can be found on the screen of each check-out/point-of-sale in our stores as well as on each receipt.
Deal Addict
Sep 17, 2007
2613 posts
838 upvotes
Da boot
Styleman wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2019 3:10 pm
It baffles me how this could be the case given the exceedingly long development time of this particular title.

Maybe all the DLC was coded pre-launch also?

Everyone is so used to these tactics (well true RFD'ers anyhow) that even though I want to buy a game such as Mortal Kombat 11, I know I'm better served to wait for the GOTY complete edition with all the DLC that will certainly show up at some point at half the price or less. If all this DLC was free in the first place, these companies would see much higher day 1 purchases and early adopters.
Developers still pretend like they've pretended since they've started the content cutting for the sake of DLC, they say "it wasn't in the original plan" or "it didn't fit into the feel of the game" but more often than not it's all lies, DLC is content that is intentionally omitted from the word go to drain extra money from the players, to keep the game "relevant"(aka on bought 'Tubers channels) months after release, especially if the game is single player, which the "influencers" have worn out, with previews and early reviews and streams, before us plebs even get a chance to play a minute of it.

The industry is broken.

Waitng for GOTY editions is the really only way to combat this, if you can fend off the FOMO(fear of missing out) which 'Tubers and all media impress upon gamers so well, then you should wait.

Does anyone remember when games were shipped complete?

I'm sure some people still remember when GOTY meant said game actually won GAME OF THE YEAR from publications.
Dec 19, 2006
408 posts
302 upvotes
Burnaby
ph00p wrote:
Nov 6th, 2019 12:21 am
Developers still pretend like they've pretended since they've started the content cutting for the sake of DLC, they say "it wasn't in the original plan" or "it didn't fit into the feel of the game" but more often than not it's all lies, DLC is content that is intentionally omitted from the word go to drain extra money from the players, to keep the game "relevant"(aka on bought 'Tubers channels) months after release, especially if the game is single player, which the "influencers" have worn out, with previews and early reviews and streams, before us plebs even get a chance to play a minute of it.
Yes and no. It really depends on the game. MK11's Krypt and character roster is particularly egregious in this regard, but in many cases, DLC is extraneous. The editing room exists for a reason and sometimes less really is more. That said, nobody releases DLC by accident; as games have only gotten cheaper and budgets have ballooned, the money has to come from somewhere. I don't think anyone would argue that The Witcher 3 or Dark Souls DLC would be considered low effort cash grabs. Even the more recent XCOM 2: War of the Chosen fundamentally reworks the entire game. Waiting for game of the year versions of those games is frankly asking so much playtime, most players will never see it all.
Dec 19, 2006
408 posts
302 upvotes
Burnaby
xristophoros wrote:
Oct 22nd, 2019 11:37 pm
was this game really THAT bad?
It's... Not that it's out and out bad. It's just that aside for its hardcore fans, the lore is downright impenetrable and yet the very heavy hand of recent Disney somehow leaves little room for creativity. It's a hodge-podge of uninspired greatest hits from recent Disney flicks coupled with the most convoluted storytelling this side of Metal Gear. Except Metal Gear had some levity.

Should you spend your money and, more importantly, your time with it? No. There are so many better (and mercifully shorter) games you could be playing.
Deal Addict
Sep 17, 2007
2613 posts
838 upvotes
Da boot
Thello wrote:
Nov 6th, 2019 1:48 am
Yes and no. It really depends on the game. MK11's Krypt and character roster is particularly egregious in this regard, but in many cases, DLC is extraneous. The editing room exists for a reason and sometimes less really is more. That said, nobody releases DLC by accident; as games have only gotten cheaper and budgets have ballooned, the money has to come from somewhere. I don't think anyone would argue that The Witcher 3 or Dark Souls DLC would be considered low effort cash grabs. Even the more recent XCOM 2: War of the Chosen fundamentally reworks the entire game. Waiting for game of the year versions of those games is frankly asking so much playtime, most players will never see it all.
You cherry picked a few good examples but missed where I had stated "more often than not" , meaning it's not 100% but it's really more like 95%. MK 11 is a bad example as they continually add fan favorite characters as DLC every year, and reduce the number of characters that were included from the previous iteration.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2014
1863 posts
1815 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
JackWhyte wrote:
Nov 6th, 2019 12:05 am
Yep, bought that a few weeks ago when the PS4 price dropped, but it's difficult to find a copy now, especially sealed.
No it isn't, go to any ebgames, I've gone to 5 this week and they always have one, just ask the cashier if u don't see one, it's probably in a drawer
Dec 19, 2006
408 posts
302 upvotes
Burnaby
ph00p wrote:
Nov 6th, 2019 9:22 am
You cherry picked a few good examples but missed where I had stated "more often than not" , meaning it's not 100% but it's really more like 95%. MK 11 is a bad example as they continually add fan favorite characters as DLC every year, and reduce the number of characters that were included from the previous iteration.
Would you prefer games were $99.99? Because that would still be cheaper than what they were 20 years ago. AAA games are too cheap and the money has to come from somewhere. There are just better and worse ways to implement that monetization.
Deal Addict
Sep 17, 2007
2613 posts
838 upvotes
Da boot
Thello wrote:
Nov 6th, 2019 11:38 am
Would you prefer games were $99.99? Because that would still be cheaper than what they were 20 years ago. AAA games are too cheap and the money has to come from somewhere. There are just better and worse ways to implement that monetization.
Now you're pivoting instead of agreeing even a little. In my response I went from pointing out the issue to pointing out what you had said, my bad.

Games come out buggy, sometimes full of microtransactions AND DLC, selling cosmetics most of the time at best.

Part of the issue isn't that the games cost more, it's that the video game industry has grown, and all of the big companies are public, and they NEED to have growth all the time, if they don't then there seen as failures, it's what happens to anything once it goes big, squeezing consumer isn't good, it's not sustainable at the rate we're going here.

I see that you're siding with the developers and going anti-consumer on this one, that's a weird position, but that's fine.

I'll keep buying my games when they go on deep discount though, you're free buy the super uber deluxe mega editions and enjoy them.
Dec 19, 2006
408 posts
302 upvotes
Burnaby
ph00p wrote:
Nov 6th, 2019 12:10 pm
Now you're pivoting instead of agreeing even a little. In my response I went from pointing out the issue to pointing out what you had said, my bad.

Games come out buggy, sometimes full of microtransactions AND DLC, selling cosmetics most of the time at best.

Part of the issue isn't that the games cost more, it's that the video game industry has grown, and all of the big companies are public, and they NEED to have growth all the time, if they don't then there seen as failures, it's what happens to anything once it goes big, squeezing consumer isn't good, it's not sustainable at the rate we're going here.

I see that you're siding with the developers and going anti-consumer on this one, that's a weird position, but that's fine.

I'll keep buying my games when they go on deep discount though, you're free buy the super uber deluxe mega editions and enjoy them.
I agree with you in that the rapid growth of the industry is a problem, but that's a problem that extends well beyond the games industry into straight up The Problem with Western Capitalism™. I'm not pivoting so much as saying that it's difficult to have it both ways. We can't have games get bigger and not be expected for that bill to be footed elsewhere.

I rarely buy DLC because the value isn't there. Do I feel like I'm missing out? As somebody interested primarily in single-player content, it happens, but it rarely happens. Frankly, I can't recall the last time I paid more than $20 for a game anyway because it's easy to pre-order during the E3 discounts, finish a game, and flip it at either a slight profit or roughly net zero.
Feb 22, 2012
471 posts
532 upvotes
Canada
New US Black Friday leaks are reporting this game to be $15 USD for Black Friday.

So... It's very possible we will see the $20 price point in Canada for Black Friday.
RFD: Pick any two.
In stock
Low Price
Quality Product
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
14154 posts
4297 upvotes
Montreal
junglemage666 wrote:
Nov 6th, 2019 11:00 am
No it isn't, go to any ebgames,
Not around here and I just went to the game page (now back to $69.99) and there are only single copies available, and those are the open/gutted ones that have the box on display (confirmed in 3 stores as I was looking for another copy).

Maybe there are just a lot of KH fans, but when it hit $39, a mass of copies disappeared.
Official Response from Dollarama Management:

Dollarama has a no exchange/no refund policy, and as a result, all sales are final. This information can be found on the screen of each check-out/point-of-sale in our stores as well as on each receipt.