• Last Updated:
  • May 25th, 2021 1:55 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 18, 2009
2383 posts
728 upvotes
Kitchener-Waterloo, …

[Amazon.ca] KitchenAid KSM5GB 5 Qt Glass Bowl ($39)

Not sure how long this will last, I've been watching the price for a while and this is the cheapest it's been by far. Usually goes for $69.99 on sale so this is a pretty good deal.

Should work with any of their 5 qt or 4.5 qt stand mixers.

May be YMMV, but also included free one day shipping for me as a Prime member.
10 replies
Sep 22, 2010
570 posts
665 upvotes
Victoria
Beware the glass bowls. They aren't made to nearly the same tolerance as the metal ones. Heavy, breakable, and the attachments don't always reach the sides or bottom, even after the screw adjustment.

First hand experience talking here after going through 3 of them. Metal bowls all the way for this guy.
Nov 13, 2019
57 posts
26 upvotes
calvados.boualrd wrote: Beware the glass bowls. They aren't made to nearly the same tolerance as the metal ones. Heavy, breakable, and the attachments don't always reach the sides or bottom, even after the screw adjustment.

First hand experience talking here after going through 3 of them. Metal bowls all the way for this guy.
Just curious, have you tried the ceramic bowls? Are they any better? Debating on which bowl to get as my second/spare bowl.
Sep 22, 2010
570 posts
665 upvotes
Victoria
rfdealspotter wrote: Just curious, have you tried the ceramic bowls? Are they any better? Debating on which bowl to get as my second/spare bowl.
I have not. Sorry, no experience here.

Edit: I would speculate that the same problem would exist with the ceramic. It is relatively easy to manufacture metal consistently to tight tolerances. The other materials, not so easy.

Edit #2: I have 2 metal bowls. The one glass bowl I couldn't return is now a decorative plant pot.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 18, 2009
2383 posts
728 upvotes
Kitchener-Waterloo, …
calvados.boualrd wrote: Beware the glass bowls. They aren't made to nearly the same tolerance as the metal ones. Heavy, breakable, and the attachments don't always reach the sides or bottom, even after the screw adjustment.

Thanks for the input. I've never had a glass bowl, only the stainless steel one that came with the mixer. I've always wanted a glass bowl for better viewing since it's much easier to tell when you need to scrape down the bowl or not.

I've never heard of them breaking for others though. I would never pay $90 for this, and even $69.99 was too high for me, but I don't think $39 is too bad so I'll take the risk of it breaking.
Deal Addict
Oct 30, 2008
2619 posts
1878 upvotes
GTA
I’ve been on the same glass bowl for over a 5 years and not one single issue. Use our kitchenaid mostly for making bread and baking. Use it over the metal bowl. Also find glass bowl is less noisy during mixing.

Great deal at $39.
Please don’t confuse my kindness for weakness.
Mar 7, 2011
213 posts
234 upvotes
Calgary

This is unfortunately one of the reasons I won't get a glass bowl. Watched a guy smash it apart on one of those cupcake baking shows just from hitting the wisk against it. It would definitely be way more convenient than a metal bowl (can go on the microwave, see through, etc), but the fragility of these is just not worth the risk for me.
Oct 2, 2007
776 posts
281 upvotes
Montreal
Paid over 70$ two months ago... Wish I could return and reorder. This is a good price.
Mar 14, 2018
368 posts
402 upvotes
I have glass bowl, ceramic bowls, metal bowl, half-size metal bowl, have had no problem with any of them.
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2004
1698 posts
497 upvotes
Besides looking nice, what's the advantage of glass?