Expired Hot Deals

Amazon.ca

KitchenAid KSMFGA Food Grinder Attachment ($34.98, historically lowest)

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 20th, 2021 11:51 pm
[OP]
May 5, 2020
172 posts
403 upvotes
Ottawa

[Amazon.ca] KitchenAid KSMFGA Food Grinder Attachment ($34.98, historically lowest)

If you have a KitchenAid stand mixer, this looks like a good price for a meat/food grinder attachment. Good reviews.

The original attachment from Kitchenaid is also available at Amazon :$139.99
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07GK7 ... EEQB&psc=1
30 replies
Sep 23, 2007
353 posts
562 upvotes
Toronto (Downtown)
I know many people will comment on how the metal one is better, don't buy plastic, etc. but while that's generally good advice, I've been using my plastic one to grind a few pounds of meat at a time, fairly regularly, for years and it still works perfectly. Would metal be better for keeping cold and more durable? Of course, but for $35 you can't really go wrong.
Deal Addict
May 30, 2010
1824 posts
1339 upvotes
I bought this aftermarket stainless steel one:
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B08JC5 ... UTF8&psc=1

Well worth the extra $10 ($5 dollars if you apply a promo code when buying a gift card) than the original painted plastic one Kitchenaid sells. It comes with more grinding disks, and the sausage stuffer attachment. Stainless steel will make a difference to keeping the parts cold from the freezer to grind meat for ground beef and sausages.
Nov 23, 2008
350 posts
276 upvotes
I'm not here to debate which one is better, metal or plastic. I have the metal one, bought it on Amazon when it was $99.99, and have been using it once every 3 weeks to grind chicken with bones to make raw cat food. So far so good, no issues with thigh bones or drumsticks and going strong after 8 months.

You can't really go wrong with $35 though, metal or plastic is just a personal preference.

Edited to add: My metal one did come with a sausage stuffer, if that matters.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
11977 posts
7133 upvotes
Paris
When we were going through a “thin” spell financially about 7 or 8 years ago, I used the plastic Kitchenaid one to ground turkey as they were 99 cents a pound after Christmas for a whole turkey vs $7/pound for ground. Easily would get 4 or 5 pounds from a $20 turkey, and kept a breast and legs to cook on the BBQ. It was awesome.
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2017
3144 posts
6413 upvotes
This is a great price and I am definitely in for one.

Having said that, one problem with plastic grinders is that if there are any issues with the mechanism or excessive wear inside the unit you may get small bits of plastic in your food.
Apr 1, 2011
468 posts
454 upvotes
Toronto
kimwoobingsu wrote: This is a great price and I am definitely in for one.

Having said that, one problem with plastic grinders is that if there are any issues with the mechanism or excessive wear inside the unit you may get small bits of plastic in your food.
Exactly why I was hesitant to go with plastic for heavy duty task like grinding
Deal Addict
May 30, 2010
1824 posts
1339 upvotes
kimwoobingsu wrote: This is a great price and I am definitely in for one.

To be clear, this KitchenAid attachment has steel grinding blades, it's the body that painted high density polymer. I have never heard of any reviews or reports of anyone having issues with "small bits of plastics" coming off of any KithenAid accessories. The stand mixer also uses the same high density painted polymer for the mixing and dough hook, and again, never heard anyone ever reporting them being broken through normal use.

As I mentioned, I have an aftermarket stainless steel one, that I use. It's was worth the small premium to me. This one is a great buy for what it is.
Last edited by Gr8irlbot on Aug 19th, 2021 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sep 23, 2007
353 posts
562 upvotes
Toronto (Downtown)
Gr8irlbot wrote: I bought this aftermarket stainless steel one:
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B08JC5 ... UTF8&psc=1

Well worth the extra $10 ($5 dollars if you apply a promo code when buying a gift card) than the original painted plastic one Kitchenaid sells. It comes with more grinding disks, and the sausage stuffer attachment. Stainless steel will make a difference to keeping the parts cold from the freezer to grind meat for ground beef and sausages.
I looked at getting this one (or another just like it, maybe) a while ago, and some of the reviews were saying that the coating on the aluminum, after a few washes was oxidized and basically unusable because it would come off on the food. I'm guessing you haven't had any of those issues with yours?
Deal Addict
May 30, 2010
1824 posts
1339 upvotes
NineOne wrote: I looked at getting this one (or another just like it, maybe) a while ago, and some of the reviews were saying that the coating on the aluminum, after a few washes was oxidized and basically unusable because it would come off on the food. I'm guessing you haven't had any of those issues with yours?
MIne is stainless steel, not aluminum. No coating issues on my end. I don't know how accurate those reviews are. I bought mine, as I buy the big primals from Costco, and used to buy Costco's ground beef, but found that lately it's not the same quality.
Jun 4, 2011
539 posts
848 upvotes
Toronto
My biggest complaint with this was that the bushing had some kind of lubrication and every so often there would be dark bits of meat coming out of the grinder.
Sep 23, 2007
353 posts
562 upvotes
Toronto (Downtown)
Gr8irlbot wrote: MIne is stainless steel, not aluminum. No coating issues on my end. I don't know how accurate those reviews are. I bought mine, as I buy the big primals from Costco, and used to buy Costco's ground beef, but found that lately it's not the same quality.
Ah okay, thanks. I wasn't sure since the one you linked is aluminum. I haven't seen a stainless steel one get quite that cheap yet.
Jan 12, 2013
84 posts
168 upvotes
London
Havox07 wrote: My biggest complaint with this was that the bushing had some kind of lubrication and every so often there would be dark bits of meat coming out of the grinder.
I have the same issue with mine
Deal Addict
May 30, 2010
1824 posts
1339 upvotes
NineOne wrote: Ah okay, thanks. I wasn't sure since the one you linked is aluminum. I haven't seen a stainless steel one get quite that cheap yet.
I went back to the listing, and you are correct, it's now listed as "aluminum alloy". When I ordered it in December, it was stainless steel. I just relinked the one from my orders. That's weird, I would have expected the vendor to make a new listing if the product changed significantly.
Mar 8, 2008
464 posts
778 upvotes
gatineau
This is a must-buy price.

I have had this for 12 years. I really only use it to grind beef shoulder for killer burgers. Works perfect for what I've used it for so far.

Seriously, once you grind your own, you won't want to buy pre-ground beef unless you're at the very least getting it freshly ground at a proper butcher.
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2005
3693 posts
1360 upvotes
Ottawa
It looks like all the aftermarket ones on Amazon are now made of aluminum, if anyone finds a stainless aftermarket piece that's cheaper than the original, link here please
Nov 1, 2020
184 posts
334 upvotes
bouche wrote: This is a must-buy price.

I have had this for 12 years. I really only use it to grind beef shoulder for killer burgers. Works perfect for what I've used it for so far.

Seriously, once you grind your own, you won't want to buy pre-ground beef unless you're at the very least getting it freshly ground at a proper butcher.
I came here to say this. At this price don't hesitate. Grinding your own meat is >> pre ground from the grocery store.