• Jan 20th, 2018 11:31 pm
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2009
16484 posts
2603 upvotes
Toronto
newt_101 wrote:
Jan 20th, 2018 4:36 pm
I just bought Scotties Premium (123 sheets/box) at Costco for 85 cents/box (before tax).
I'm all for saving money when it matters, but sometimes just shopping at one store/week is a lot simpler.

Time > Money
Guess you lost some money making that post...would probably take less time making the purchase through the link than making the post Face With Tears Of Joy
Deal Fanatic
Jul 24, 2009
5195 posts
5740 upvotes
Yes, some coupon can only be used by S&S. If the coupon reaches the limit used by the account (In this case, it is one time use only), it won't even show up. If you see the coupon, that means it is still available to you.

S&S is easy to use. Basically, Amazon bundles all your S&S order(s) together and send to you once per month with standard FREE shipping. However, you really need to pay attention on managing it. Otherwise, you will end up paying more. There are lots of parameters you can change under the subscription setting. Unless you really understand what will be affected from changing those parameters, I suggest you try NOT to make any changes once it is set at the beginning. You may see some members complain Amazon charges them more than when they placed the order even in the first shipment. It is mainly because every time you make change on S&S parameters, the order will be modified / update / regenerate.
althetrainer wrote:
Jan 20th, 2018 4:18 pm
So some coupons are good only with S&S? I have used coupons successfully by adding the item to my cart with the rest of my orders, the coupon discount reflected in the total at checkout. Whenever the green check mark showed up without me clicking on the coupon it usually means I have already used it. I don't particularly need S&S orders but I will play around later today to see if I can figure out the ins and outs. Thanks again.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 10, 2010
6820 posts
2558 upvotes
Calgary
lcmt wrote:
Jan 20th, 2018 5:28 pm
Yes, some coupon can only be used by S&S. If the coupon reaches the limit used by the account (In this case, it is one time use only), it won't even show up. If you see the coupon, that means it is still available to you.

S&S is easy to use. Basically, Amazon bundles all your S&S order(s) together and send to you once per month with standard FREE shipping. However, you really need to pay attention on managing it. Otherwise, you will end up paying more. There are lots of parameters you can change under the subscription setting. Unless you really understand what will be affected from changing those parameters, I suggest you try NOT to make any changes once it is set at the beginning. You may see some members complain Amazon charges them more than when they placed the order even in the first shipment. It is mainly because every time you make change on S&S parameters, the order will be modified / update / regenerate.
Thanks for the explanation. Doesn't sound like something I want to try. The last thing I want is to have to worry about being overcharged. LOL I don't know if the price change problem is limited to S&S. I just placed an order this morning, with one of the items being a lightning deal. The cart reflected the lightning deal price but when I went to place my order, the lightning deal discount disappeared. I had to manually remove the said item and added the discounted item back. If not because I caught it before hitting the order button I would be paying full price for that particular item. This has happened to me twice this month. I don't know what to think of it.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 24, 2009
5195 posts
5740 upvotes
Well, the good thing is that you won't be charged until the deadline of the ship date. You can actually play round it and get familiar with the S&S feature. Regarding the lightning deal, there is a reserve time limit (usually it is 20 mins) after you add the item to your cart. After 20 mins, you forfeit the discount and you need to add the item again.
althetrainer wrote:
Jan 20th, 2018 5:50 pm
Thanks for the explanation. Doesn't sound like something I want to try. The last thing I want is to have to worry about being overcharged. LOL I don't know if the price change problem is limited to S&S. I just placed an order this morning, with one of the items being a lightning deal. The cart reflected the lightning deal price but when I went to place my order, the lightning deal discount disappeared. I had to manually remove the said item and added the discounted item back. If not because I caught it before hitting the order button I would be paying full price for that particular item. This has happened to me twice this month. I don't know what to think of it.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 25, 2005
7532 posts
3988 upvotes
North York
althetrainer wrote:
Jan 20th, 2018 2:34 pm
I went to #15 and clicked on the link but the coupon already had a green check mark next to it. It seems the coupon is considered "used" in my case even I never went through with the order last night. Strange.
A green checkmark actually means the coupon has been applied to your cart if you choose to checkout with the product. It has not been used yet.
Apr 2, 2011
313 posts
162 upvotes
Montreal
I can't seem to apply the coupon. Anyone having this problem?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 10, 2010
6820 posts
2558 upvotes
Calgary
lcmt wrote:
Jan 20th, 2018 6:33 pm
Well, the good thing is that you won't be charged until the deadline of the ship date. You can actually play round it and get familiar with the S&S feature. Regarding the lightning deal, there is a reserve time limit (usually it is 20 mins) after you add the item to your cart. After 20 mins, you forfeit the discount and you need to add the item again.
I may give that S&S a try when I have time. Regarding the lightning deal, I don't think I exceeded the time limit because I knew exactly what I was buying. Also, they usually have a reminder to let you know how much time you have before you lose the deal, I certainly didn't see that. I don't know what's up with Amazon lately. I had a couple of returns that didn't get refunded until I called them. I am also dealing with customer service about their review system. I have about 15 purchases (different sellers) from the past two months that I am not able to review because somehow Amazon doesn't consider my purchases verified, and no I did not return them. Maybe this is a sign for me to take a break from amazon. LOL
Deal Fanatic
Jan 10, 2010
6820 posts
2558 upvotes
Calgary
WhatADeal! wrote:
Jan 20th, 2018 6:45 pm
A green checkmark actually means the coupon has been applied to your cart if you choose to checkout with the product. It has not been used yet.
That's what I thought too but no matter what I did it wouldn't credit me the $2 at checkout.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 24, 2009
5195 posts
5740 upvotes
For lightning deal, you should see a banner at the top of your last checkout page. Something like this "Place your order within XX:XX to receive Deal discount." If you don't see this banner, then you wait too long before submitting the order. By the way, just realize the time limit is now only 15 mins.

Normally refund should be automatic unless the amount is too big and require manual authorization from human. Or you are unlucky when Amazon tries to issue refund on your credit card, but the credit card didn't proceed properly. I cannot comment the other problems as I have no experience on those at all.
althetrainer wrote:
Jan 20th, 2018 8:18 pm
I may give that S&S a try when I have time. Regarding the lightning deal, I don't think I exceeded the time limit because I knew exactly what I was buying. Also, they usually have a reminder to let you know how much time you have before you lose the deal, I certainly didn't see that. I don't know what's up with Amazon lately. I had a couple of returns that didn't get refunded until I called them. I am also dealing with customer service about their review system. I have about 15 purchases (different sellers) from the past two months that I am not able to review because somehow Amazon doesn't consider my purchases verified, and no I did not return them. Maybe this is a sign for me to take a break from amazon. LOL
Deal Fanatic
Jul 24, 2009
5195 posts
5740 upvotes
Do you see the coupon and its checkbox ? The coupon is only valid for S&S order. You cannot use the coupon for one time purchase order.
Guyman wrote:
Jan 20th, 2018 7:56 pm
I can't seem to apply the coupon. Anyone having this problem?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 10, 2010
6820 posts
2558 upvotes
Calgary
lcmt wrote:
Jan 20th, 2018 8:36 pm
For lightning deal, you should see a banner at the top of your last checkout page. Something like this "Place your order within XX:XX to receive Deal discount." If you don't see this banner, then you wait too long before submitting the order. By the way, just realize the time limit is now only 15 mins.

Normally refund should be automatic unless the amount is too big and require manual authorization from human. Or you are unlucky when Amazon tries to issue refund on your credit card, but the credit card didn't proceed properly. I cannot comment the other problems as I have no experience on those at all.
Yes, I know that time reminder and I usually see it. You could be right about me overspending my 15 minutes. I will pay more attention to it next time. The refunds I was waiting for were $19 and $12 respectively, I don't think the amounts were too big. I called them about the $19 one today. The CSR first said it was Canada Post slow shipping, then he said the return was received but not yet in the system, immediately followed by an update that delivery was delayed until Monday. I said I was good as long as a refund would be issued. Then he said the item was lost and that he needed to issue me a refund manually. Yes, all that happened during the same phone call and I have no idea what was going on. Anyway, in less than 1/2 hour I got a confirmation email about the refund being processed so that part was taken care of.
Deal Addict
Oct 5, 2008
1822 posts
716 upvotes
White Rock
Thanks OP. Ordered one before the coupon was removed.
Deal is dead now. $2 coupon was removed.