• Last Updated:
  • Apr 19th, 2019 8:59 pm
[OP]
Apr 6, 2008
423 posts
276 upvotes
Toronto

[Amazon Canada] Klymit Static V Sleeping Mat $40, Insulated $64

Trying to get my family started in camping. Picked up the Marmot 3p tent from Atmosphere deal with Sportchek GC. These looked well reviewed and found these deals hidden on Amazon.

Klymit Static V Sleeping Pad, 3 seasons, Coyote Sand color only. Sale $40, regular $80

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/offer-listing/ ... dition=new

4.4/5 stars 339 reviews: https://www.amazon.ca/Klymit-Static-Lig ... B00BZ3C900

Klymit Static V Insulated Sleeping Pad, 4 seasons, King's Camo color only. Sale $64, regular $120

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/offer-listing/ ... dition=new

4.4/5 stars 138 reviews: https://www.amazon.ca/Klymit-Insulated- ... B00GUOSK8O

For price comparison
https://www.atmosphere.ca/search.html#q ... ctNumber=2

Specs comparison (3rd column)
Last edited by 3ajs on Apr 19th, 2019 12:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
24 replies
Dec 31, 2006
187 posts
158 upvotes
Sorry to tell you that this is not comfortable over time. Though packs light, you pay more. I'm average weight.
[OP]
Apr 6, 2008
423 posts
276 upvotes
Toronto
1337 wrote:
Apr 19th, 2019 12:11 pm
Sorry to tell you that this is not comfortable over time. Though packs light, you pay more. I'm average weight.
Thanks for the feedback, could you recommend a thicker foam/air pad instead? We are only doing car camping to start. Is your review based on this model or another one?
Dec 31, 2006
187 posts
158 upvotes
3ajs wrote:
Apr 19th, 2019 12:14 pm

Thanks for the feedback, could you recommend a thicker foam/air pad instead? We are only doing car camping to start. Is your review based on this model or another one?
Klymit. Same stuff, maybe previous version? No problem for car. Hard + cold ground, you will notice it. Padded mat was so much better on hard ground- gets cold at night.
[OP]
Apr 6, 2008
423 posts
276 upvotes
Toronto
1337 wrote:
Apr 19th, 2019 12:19 pm
Klymit. Same stuff, maybe previous version? No problem for car. Hard + cold ground, you will notice it. Padded mat was so much better on hard ground- gets cold at night.
Thanks, I'm totally new to camping, any information is a big help. We are planning to use a tent but drive up to the campsite. Can you recommend a better sleeping arrangement? My wife is a big non-camper but she's willing to try it out for our toddler. We are looking for the most comfortable arrangement Smiling Face With Smiling Eyes
Jan 18, 2009
317 posts
34 upvotes
Duncan
I have the V2... It's ok, but definitely would opt for a higher R-value mat if you are intending for car camping with the family. No fun going with kids or other members when they are cold...

I only use the V2 when I'm backpacking and kayaking on my own... My brothers have the Thermo-Rest Neo line and they are definitely warmer and compress smaller but with that you are paying for it..... I did not want to break the bank on a pad so the V2 was a cost efficient option for me.. I think I got the V2 for like $40 on sale at Atmosphere...
Aug 24, 2015
146 posts
532 upvotes
AB
If you're just car camping with a first timer... go with an air mattress. The Klymit is still a good sleeping mat especially at $40, but it will obviously be less comfortable than an air mattress. If you guys ever plan on doing backcountry camping, then it would be worth considering the Klymit due to its weight.

Personally, I have a Thermarest Neoair Xlite but it's a bit more expensive. However, I do a lot more backcountry and less car camping to the weight does make a difference.
Sep 20, 2007
274 posts
126 upvotes
Edmonton
I have the insulated Static V for years. I felt it was an upgrade over the Thermolite Prolite Plus in terms of comfort, weight, packability and R-value. I also have an uncanny ability to fall asleep in a variety of terrain and "discomfort" and feel refresh in the morning but that could change as I age lol. Thicker pad I would recommend are the the brands Nemo and Exped but you'll be shelling out 2-3 times more money.
Last edited by etownjack on Apr 19th, 2019 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2004
2654 posts
609 upvotes
Vancouver
OP, these are better for real backpacking, where weight is paramount. They really aren't comfortable in your context.

If comfort is most important and you're car camping, and assuming you have space to spare, you can either try a foldout cot or a blow-up air mattress with a pump that plugs into your car outlet. If you just want a thicker air mattress to what you listed, get the Lightspeed ones from Costco.

Edit: I'm assuming you're not going camping in the cold.
Last edited by Bishop8 on Apr 19th, 2019 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Apr 6, 2008
423 posts
276 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks everyone for the helpful info so far. Any valuable tips on sleeping bags? Keep in mind we are beginner car camping hopefully under ideal conditions (near room temperature)
Dec 8, 2015
47 posts
57 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Klymit is a great brand. I would recommend thicker and higher r rating models like the insulated static v and double v to start with. They are also wider so there's actually space to turn. You are going with a car anyway, weight and space wouldn't be a huge concern.
Sep 20, 2007
274 posts
126 upvotes
Edmonton
puglife644 wrote:
Apr 19th, 2019 12:30 pm
If you're just car camping with a first timer... go with an air mattress. The Klymit is still a good sleeping mat especially at $40, but it will obviously be less comfortable than an air mattress. If you guys ever plan on doing backcountry camping, then it would be worth considering the Klymit due to its weight.

Personally, I have a Thermarest Neoair Xlite but it's a bit more expensive. However, I do a lot more backcountry and less car camping to the weight does make a difference.
Totally agree with air mattress for car camping. Canadian tire sells a variety of them.
https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/cole ... p.html#srp
Inflated Dimensions: 78 x 58 x 8"

Marmot Catalyst 3
Dimensions: 88" L x 65" W x 47" H
Last edited by etownjack on Apr 19th, 2019 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2007
2481 posts
688 upvotes
Kingston
I have a lightweight cot (thermarest)+ insulated sleeping pad (thermarest) plus a hybrid sleeping bag/Down quilt (Nemo) and I can get a better nights sleep on that vs my mattress at home. The cot makes all the difference in my opinion, the insulated pad keeps the underside warm and the down quilt keeps you toasty on top.
Jun 28, 2015
20 posts
6 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
I have a Static V, Insulated Static V, and Insulated Double V. Obviously I'm a fan of Klymit. But I made a (possibly rookie) mistake and didn't try out my Static V at home before bringing it on a trip and woke up to a deflated mat. There seems to be fairly common issue with the valves leaking. It's an easy fix with some superglue, though. They posted a how-to video with instructions here
Aug 24, 2015
146 posts
532 upvotes
AB
3ajs wrote:
Apr 19th, 2019 12:35 pm
Thanks everyone for the helpful info so far. Any valuable tips on sleeping bags? Keep in mind we are beginner car camping hopefully under ideal conditions (near room temperature)
If you don’t plan on camping below 0 degrees honestly any sleeping bag will work. If you’re looking for the least costly option you can easily pick up a Coleman brand sleeping bag at Walmart/Canadian Tire/etc. I would guess for $40 or less. Or even just bring a blanket from home since you’re car camping and it’ll cost you nothing! For car camping I would 100% bring a pillow from home, no need to invest in a camp pillow.

Like sleeping mats, the more concerned you are about weight and temperature, the more options (and price variations) you will expect. If you have any friends with camping gear you could also ask to borrow their gear to see how you like it.