Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon.ca] Korean Gochujang Pepper Paste $9.99 1kg.

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 1st, 2021 1:14 pm
[OP]
May 9, 2003
114 posts
138 upvotes
Orleans

[Amazon.ca] Korean Gochujang Pepper Paste $9.99 1kg.

Just got my delivery of this from Amazon. Got the O'food brand and it is sealed and well within its date. Seems like a very good price.
45 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2008
3226 posts
3026 upvotes
don't really know the going price for this ....how much do they go for at the K supermarkets?
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2004
2279 posts
1939 upvotes
Mississauga
pongster wrote: don't really know the going price for this ....how much do they go for at the K supermarkets?
I think my 500g container was around $5 at P.A.T.
a) I might be misremembering and maybe it was a buck or two more
b) There were many brands and I had no idea what I was looking for so I chose a random one, some others may have been differently priced
Jul 11, 2009
845 posts
581 upvotes
Calgary
Is this what is used to make Kimchi?
Oct 19, 2019
441 posts
569 upvotes
Toronto Night Sky
ben35 wrote: Is this what is used to make Kimchi?
Lol no no no. You have to use red pepper powder. Never use gochujang !
Jun 22, 2009
406 posts
199 upvotes
believe it or not, those were included in the Tacco recipe from GoodFood.
And it turn out bomb!!

I'd rather buy a smaller size since those perishable goods.
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2008
1901 posts
119 upvotes
Toronto
ben35 wrote: Is this what is used to make Kimchi?
catlover1299 wrote: Lol no no no. You have to use red pepper powder. Never use gochujang !
Usually, kimchi is made with gochugaru (chili flakes), but you can make it with gochujang as well. I've done both and it works.
May 5, 2014
37 posts
20 upvotes
North York, ON
The one from Amazon has similar price at Korean markets.
This one is less spicy than normal gochujang and usually 1 or 2 dollars cheaper.
Dec 24, 2017
688 posts
1426 upvotes
lel
What quantites do people typically put into their food? I am looking at the ingredients and see corn syrup as the second ingredient. I'm sure it can be enjoyable in moderation but I'm still curious
Koodo $45 - 4GB +1GB bonus (retention deal). S9 for $360-150 GC
Good toilet paper/paper towel deals
Sep 25, 2009
565 posts
428 upvotes
Pingalino wrote: What quantites do people typically put into their food? I am looking at the ingredients and see corn syrup as the second ingredient. I'm sure it can be enjoyable in moderation but I'm still curious
i use a heaping table spoon for a plate of stir fry usually
Dec 29, 2013
179 posts
154 upvotes
Toronto
Pingalino wrote: What quantites do people typically put into their food? I am looking at the ingredients and see corn syrup as the second ingredient. I'm sure it can be enjoyable in moderation but I'm still curious
For 1-3 portions I usually go with 1 table spoon to the ratio to make the base sauce.

Ratio
Gochujang : Soy Sauce : Sesame Oil : Sugar
= 1 : 1 (soy sauce I usually go half of it or less) : 1 : 1 (or substitute sugar with maple syrup)

Works with most anything tbh

Tteokbokki to Gochujang Pork, Dakgalbi (Spicy Chicken)

p.s. I’m Korean Eyes
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2017
3896 posts
2431 upvotes
Vancouver
Quick glance at reviews suggest a couple people got damage/leaked packages. Wonder if this is a product you want shipped if it seems to break so easily during shipping.
Jun 16, 2019
476 posts
1355 upvotes
west as
Hmart in the Vancouver region has 3kg (different brand) for $9.98 in their current flyer if you live in the region.
Images
  • gochu.JPG
Deal Guru
Sep 2, 2008
11697 posts
1584 upvotes
swordy wrote: believe it or not, those were included in the Tacco recipe from GoodFood.
And it turn out bomb!!

I'd rather buy a smaller size since those perishable goods.
This stuff will pretty much last forever.
Oct 15, 2013
796 posts
1270 upvotes
It is a good deal (imho) as this particular one is better than other brand/varieties in my taste testing and afaik is usually a touch more expensive than ones like haechandle which isn’t a bad one too.

I bought two of these already, spotted this deal a few weeks back but it was one of those you can order and it will be delivered later. Arrived this weekend. I previously had a 500g one for roughly same price.
Oct 4, 2005
207 posts
128 upvotes
Paigne wrote: Quick glance at reviews suggest a couple people got damage/leaked packages. Wonder if this is a product you want shipped if it seems to break so easily during shipping.
I’ve ordered once and it leaked because purolator tossed it onto the steps. I think the shock caused the seal to break and sauce was everywhere in the box. Amazon sent a replacement this time fedex delivered and the guy walked up with the package sideways even though box clearly marked with an arrow and words “this side up” again the seal in the container broke and sauce everywhere. But most likely was damaged well before drivers brought it to the door.

I’ve never bothered ordering again it just seems too fragile.
Oct 19, 2019
441 posts
569 upvotes
Toronto Night Sky
EbonyRose wrote: Usually, kimchi is made with gochugaru (chili flakes), but you can make it with gochujang as well. I've done both and it works.
gochujang will never make you have the somewhat "authentic" taste of kimchi. Just like a pair of dress shoes, you can use it to play soccer, but it will never feel right.