Expired Hot Deals

Amazon.ca

Kraft Dinner Original Macaroni & Cheese 225g, Pack of 12 ($8.88)

  • Last Updated:
  • Oct 26th, 2020 7:53 pm
41 replies
Member
User avatar
Jun 15, 2020
259 posts
333 upvotes
Ontario
In case anyone was wondering, "All time low according to ***************"

Also, I knew Canadians love their Kraft, but holy cow the reviews are so... detailed! People talking about life stories and world-changing experiences that have centered around their love of Macaroni of Cheese. I was almost about to buy this, but then I remembered I absolutely hate Mac and Cheese, so Zipper-mouth Face
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2008
3432 posts
4324 upvotes
MrBear2019 wrote: In case anyone was wondering, "All time low according to ***************"

Also, I knew Canadians love their Kraft, but holy cow the reviews are so... detailed! People talking about life stories and world-changing experiences that have centered around their love of Macaroni of Cheese. I was almost about to buy this, but then I remembered I absolutely hate Mac and Cheese, so Zipper-mouth Face
Yeah I am hesitant to buy. I remember hating these when I was a kid back then. Didn't like the taste but at same time now much older I am curious how it taste like..
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 28, 2008
3593 posts
5396 upvotes
Langley, BC
Hate KD? Go back to hell you demons!
Jr. Member
Jul 16, 2019
144 posts
139 upvotes
This and ichiban are like crack
ordered 2 cases
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Oct 13, 2002
5297 posts
1591 upvotes
Toronto
Kraft removed Yellow #5 a number of years ago and it's now significantly less orange and less tasty.

I had suspected this after opening a super old box a few years back (I think it had a Best Before date of 2014 or 2015) and compared it with a new post-2016 box.

Needless to say, children these days won't know what they missed!
'11 DC MLF Iikka Pro | CCM Ribcor Trigger 3D/Bauer Supreme 1S LE
'18 Union Flite Pro Red | Bauer Supreme 2S Gloves
'08 K2 T1 | CCM Super Tacks AS1
Deal Guru
User avatar
Jun 27, 2004
13537 posts
2721 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
Annie's is where it's at, for mac and cheese.
Jr. Member
Dec 26, 2010
153 posts
52 upvotes
Simcoe County, Ontar…
ProfessorChaos wrote: Kraft removed Yellow #5 a number of years ago and it's now significantly less orange and less tasty.

I had suspected this after opening a super old box a few years back (I think it had a Best Before date of 2014 or 2015) and compared it with a new post-2016 box.

Needless to say, children these days won't know what they missed!
I just obliterate mine with Ketchup. However I'm not sure how great of a deal this is. I'm pretty sure Costco and No Frills regularly sell the 12 box pack for $9
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2011
1650 posts
2057 upvotes
VANCOUVER
Kreuger wrote: I just obliterate mine with Ketchup. However I'm not sure how great of a deal this is. I'm pretty sure Costco and No Frills regularly sell the 12 box pack for $9
I just picked up a case from Costco last week. It was $10 for the case and they were super sized portion boxes (sized like 1.5 boxes each)
Jr. Member
Dec 26, 2010
153 posts
52 upvotes
Simcoe County, Ontar…
goozy1 wrote: I just picked up a case from Costco last week. It was $10 for the case and they were super sized portion boxes (sized like 1.5 boxes each)
Interesting. I haven't seen the larger boxes before.
Member
Oct 16, 2007
393 posts
44 upvotes
London
Thanks OP, 2 cases on the way! Good bunker food!
Member
Aug 26, 2019
356 posts
432 upvotes
The6ix
Boil pasta - add nutritional yeast or parmesan and voila - you have a better meal STILL under 25 cents. Amazon really promoting garbage junk food to the masses and people buy it because it's "50 off".
Sr. Member
Oct 13, 2017
831 posts
801 upvotes
Hamilton
The 4pk is $3 at No Frills (in ON at least) this week... so $9 for 12. Not bad if you don't want 12 boxes. I grew up on KD and don't really care for the original now. If only they had multi packs of the triple cheese or white cheddar. Although even then I'm not sure I'd want a 12pk
Jr. Member
Nov 11, 2010
151 posts
156 upvotes
GTA/Niagara
Grew up with it as well...sadly this is not the same KD that we grew up with, tastes more like plastic than anything. We've switched to Annies or no name brand white chedder.
Penalty Box
Mar 23, 2004
30073 posts
10843 upvotes
ProfessorChaos wrote: Kraft removed Yellow #5 a number of years ago and it's now significantly less orange and less tasty.
Yes the colour was changed but pretty sure Yellow #5 doesn't also taste like cheese :lol: Are you sure this is not just in your head? Something else must have changed as well if the taste changed. I eat KD so infrequently I couldn't say but even when I was a kid I remember it being super bland (on its own) so not like it could have gotten much worse.

I mean I don't even really consider KD to be "mac and cheese" per se. It's not even really macaroni, and it's not something I'd make and then say "here's some killer mac & cheese". It's more like just "Kraft dinner" and it's something you use when you have nothing better to do and have some ground beef to combine it with for a somewhat enjoyable experience. On its own KD is...well it's not good, at all.

Anyway I remember back when it would be less than $0.50/box when on sale, so $8.88 seems expensive though accounting for inflation I imagine the price hasn't changed at all though it's possible the boxes are smaller of course...
Deal Addict
Jun 18, 2012
1323 posts
568 upvotes
Barrie
ES_Revenge wrote: Are you sure this is not just in your head? Something else must have changed as well if the taste changed.
I wonder if these people realize their palates likely changed from the time they were a kid up until now.
OAlton wrote: Boil pasta - add nutritional yeast or parmesan and voila - you have a better meal STILL under 25 cents. Amazon really promoting garbage junk food to the masses and people buy it because it's "50 off".
Please try to make some and post the final costs. There have been multiple sales posted over the past few weeks of just chocolate alone on amazon as well. I guess amazon shouldn't sell promote that junk food either though :/

Try and find any parmesan that is worth using and show me how much 25 cents of a serving even gets me.
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2011
1650 posts
2057 upvotes
VANCOUVER
ES_Revenge wrote: Yes the colour was changed but pretty sure Yellow #5 doesn't also taste like cheese :lol: Are you sure this is not just in your head? Something else must have changed as well if the taste changed. I eat KD so infrequently I couldn't say but even when I was a kid I remember it being super bland (on its own) so not like it could have gotten much worse.

I mean I don't even really consider KD to be "mac and cheese" per se. It's not even really macaroni, and it's not something I'd make and then say "here's some killer mac & cheese". It's more like just "Kraft dinner" and it's something you use when you have nothing better to do and have some ground beef to combine it with for a somewhat enjoyable experience. On its own KD is...well it's not good, at all.

Anyway I remember back when it would be less than $0.50/box when on sale, so $8.88 seems expensive though accounting for inflation I imagine the price hasn't changed at all though it's possible the boxes are smaller of course...
It wasn't just that they changed the type of dye that was used. They replaced the #5 yellow dye with tumeric, paprika, and annatto. Those spices definitely change the flavor profile and I can 100% taste the difference. Let's face it Kraft Dinner was never great but most of us growing up in Canada had it as kids. So I still had a nostalgic association with the original taste (like McDonald's cheeseburgers). Now that the taste is changed, I just don't feel the same way about it anymore. I'll still have it once in a while but it's not the same anymore.

Top