• Jun 10th, 2021 9:58 am
[OP]
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
33799 posts
7446 upvotes
East Gwillimbury

[Amazon.ca] Kraft Hazelnut Spread, 725g (Pack of 6) - 23.94$

Kraft is trying to enter the space dominated by Ferrero with their Nutella product

Kraft Hazelnut spread made with no palm oil

6 jars of 725 Grams for 23.94$. A total of 4.35 kilograms. Nutella is typically ~15$ at Costco for 2 kilogram and ~10$ if you buy the Kirkland version

This is a great deal. Doesn’t indicate a sale, but the price on this was 35$ yesterday

Doesn’t appear to have any tax either.
35 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2009
1940 posts
1158 upvotes
Boom and Bust Calgar…
This stuff actually tastes like hazelnut.

Not as good as the Lindt spread but still damn good.
Dec 30, 2006
675 posts
379 upvotes
Toronto
Definitely more nutty than the Nutella you can buy here.
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2004
1494 posts
445 upvotes
Toronto
Good thing for those who have environmental concerns, Kraft doesn't use Palm Oil in their spread.

Issue is best before I think aren't that long. So having 6 would mean likely not getting through them unless you can share with family or others. my family doesn't get through a jar that Quickly.
Deal Addict
Mar 1, 2012
1196 posts
967 upvotes
kid_icarus wrote: Good thing for those who have environmental concerns, Kraft doesn't use Palm Oil in their spread.

Issue is best before I think aren't that long. So having 6 would mean likely not getting through them unless you can share with family or others. my family doesn't get through a jar that Quickly.
Would something as heavily processed as this even go bad? My mom's got a jar of Nutella three years open and it tastes just fine.
Nov 21, 2016
155 posts
138 upvotes
abbotsford
I bought this to avoid palm oil too.

I was really disappointed that something about it tasted off. Almost like a tangy after taste. I’m not returning to Nutella, but I won’t be continuing with Kraft either.

Just a word of warning for people to first try a small jar of this stuff before committing to 6.
Dec 1, 2012
31 posts
17 upvotes
I found that it tasted almost exactly like the Kirkland, and I believe the Kirkland also has no Palm Oil. So I'll take the Costco at $5/kg over this at $5.50/kg.
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2009
1940 posts
1158 upvotes
Boom and Bust Calgar…
gyggyg wrote: I bought this to avoid palm oil too.

I was really disappointed that something about it tasted off. Almost like a tangy after taste. I’m not returning to Nutella, but I won’t be continuing with Kraft either.

Just a word of warning for people to first try a small jar of this stuff before committing to 6.
Yeah, that's the taste of hazelnuts you're experiencing.
Jan 4, 2018
96 posts
473 upvotes

Hmm interesting, where did you buy it? I haven't tried it myself but wondering if others feel the same about tangy after taste.
If this post has helped you please click the 'THANKS' button.
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2005
2674 posts
791 upvotes
North York
caltran wrote: Yeah, that's the taste of hazelnuts you're experiencing.
Maybe it's the Atifical flavour you are tasting Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed Eyes

Someone on amazon asked What are the ingredients?

Answer: Sugar, Sunflower oil, Hazelnuts, Cocoa, Skim milk powder, Whey powder, Cocoa butter, Sunflower lecithin, Atifical flavour, Citric acid.
May contain other tree nuts.
No Palm oil
Nov 21, 2017
191 posts
76 upvotes
RFDSimple wrote: Hmm interesting, where did you buy it? I haven't tried it myself but wondering if others feel the same about tangy after taste.
Personally I stopped using Nutella after trying this, the taste to me was pretty much the same.
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2009
1940 posts
1158 upvotes
Boom and Bust Calgar…
mwong168 wrote: Maybe it's the Atifical flavour you are tasting Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed Eyes

Someone on amazon asked What are the ingredients?

Answer: Sugar, Sunflower oil, Hazelnuts, Cocoa, Skim milk powder, Whey powder, Cocoa butter, Sunflower lecithin, Atifical flavour, Citric acid.
May contain other tree nuts.
No Palm oil
Oh no. Still don't like Nutella. The artificial flavour is probably "synthetic" vanilla, which Nutella lists as "flavouring (vanillin)"

There's a zillion brands of hazelnut spread available, go get one of the others then.
Nov 21, 2016
155 posts
138 upvotes
abbotsford
caltran wrote:
Yeah, that's the taste of hazelnuts you're experiencing.
Are you trying to be clever or something? I know exactly what hazelnut tastes like and have even created my own hazelnut spread from scratch (it’s not really hard work, but family goes through enough of it it wasn’t worth the effort). In fact I’m kind of worried you don’t know what hazelnuts taste like if you’re expecting some acidic (almost fruity) tang.

No, there was just something that my tongue didn’t like. It could have been the kind of vanillla they used, or some other ingredient. But it doesn’t matter because I wasn’t criticizing the product- everyone’s experience will be different. The only point of my post was to share my experience so that others may try it first before investing in a 6 pack. Maybe their tongues will be like mine, maybe they will be different.

RFDSimple wrote:
Hmm interesting, where did you buy it? I haven't tried it myself but wondering if others feel the same about tangy after taste.
Superstore and it was in date. I’m not trying to ward anyone off trying this stuff. I’m suggesting they try it with a single jar, rather than a half-dozen. I’m trying to say it’s most certainly not a replica of Nutella. It’s better or worse, depending on your tongue.

To me with the tang I was tasting meant it wasn’t better than Nutella, but that still doesn’t mean I would continue buying Nutella. Instead I chose neither Kraft nor Nutella.
Last edited by gyggyg on Jun 8th, 2021 4:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2013
2658 posts
2632 upvotes
Montreal

Try the Costco brand. It's really good and no palm oil as well
Nov 21, 2016
155 posts
138 upvotes
abbotsford
SquadG wrote: Try the Costco brand. It's really good and no palm oil as well
In my experience I agree this is the best tasting economically viable spread I’ve tasted so far. I’ll still be on the lookout for others though, journey is not complete yet.