• Last Updated:
  • Aug 26th, 2021 11:07 am
[OP]
Jul 7, 2005
600 posts
172 upvotes

[Amazon.ca] Kreg Pocket-Hole Jig 720 PRO $155.43

Everywhere else costs $199.00

Pretty good price if anyone is needing the latest and greatest pocket hole jig. Personally conflicted if I should get this or wait for the 520 to go on sale, I'm leaning on versatility of the pistol grip. Have the old K4 and it was somewhat of a hassle clamping to large pieces of ply or 2x.
31 replies
Feb 13, 2007
200 posts
123 upvotes
What sort of projects or when would a tool like this come in useful?
[OP]
Jul 7, 2005
600 posts
172 upvotes
Anytime you need to join 2 pieces of wood (material) adjacent to each other @ 90 degrees!!
Correction: you can pocket hole two pieces to butt joint them also!

Think shelves, boxes, planters, furniture, picture frames, cabinets, storage, drawers etc. etc.
K3DubEU wrote: What sort of projects or when would a tool like this come in useful?
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2006
1367 posts
2088 upvotes
Hammonds
K3DubEU wrote: What sort of projects or when would a tool like this come in useful?
For $180 you can usually buy a new 3D printer, which an average joe can create a ton of accurate enough woodworking tools to muddle through most handyman projects quite cheaply. This is the polar opposite of that, large and durable meant for quickly drilling 50+ precise holes a day every day. I have not seen one with a higher price tag or more features myself. Personally I would get more use from a 3D printer making disposable tools than this, while others could buy this and have it paid for in under a week.
Apr 12, 2013
718 posts
667 upvotes
BC
Hadn't seen this model before, but seriously impressed. The time savings must be immense for a cabinet maker: will pay for itself very quickly. Have to stick with my 320 for now!
Jul 16, 2009
261 posts
95 upvotes
Do I need to use kreg screws or any would work?
Nov 26, 2003
464 posts
49 upvotes
Toronto
mikeygt wrote: Do I need to use kreg screws or any would work?
Kreg screws have a lip around the head that prevents them from sinking too deep (and poking out the other side of your piece).
No more lodgers - more trouble than they're worth!
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
24381 posts
31308 upvotes
As I get older, this gets more and more attractive. In 10 to 15 years, my willpower will wane, and I'll be wood working. This is simply how things will be.

As a wise man once said, if they don't find you handsome, at least they'll find you handy.
Jun 6, 2019
185 posts
282 upvotes
I recommend the armor tool jig. much easier to setup than kreg.

Armor Tool Auto-Jig Pocket Hole System
* i bought mine from amazon

either system use pan-head screws (a. k. a. pocket hole screws)
I interchangeably use kreg and milescraft (yes they have a pocket hole jig too along with a 700pc star head pocket hole screw set) and also use the Hillman pocket hole screws from Canadian Tire.
though the screws from armor tool have some type of weatherproof coating, I haven't seen them for sale in Canadian sites
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2005
1529 posts
832 upvotes
I have the k5 (non master).

Debating as I don’t have a clamp for the kreg and it looks like the pro has a clamp option
Jun 6, 2019
185 posts
282 upvotes
Superman_2099 wrote: I have the k5 (non master).

Debating as I don’t have a clamp for the kreg and it looks like the pro has a clamp option
you can buy the clamp separately.
Sep 11, 2017
108 posts
102 upvotes
Word to the wise: pan head screws and pocket hole screws are not the same thing at all. Pan Head screws can be, for example, screws for particle board, but will not work for pocket hole joinery.

Pocket hole screws are self-tapping, which means they drill themselves into the adjoining piece. Regular pan head screws do not do this, and will lead to many hours of wondering why your piece isn't coming together properly.
Make sure you are buying pocket hole screws.
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
47775 posts
8484 upvotes
Richmond Hill
keyser-soze wrote: This vs old K5
I had the same question last year when there were deals on the old K5 for $129, versus this one for $140. After a few reviews, I concluded the K5 was a better product overall, in terms of both build quality and design. It would have been a toss-up with K5's $199 regular price, but during their clearance price last year, it was a no brainer.
Oct 31, 2013
700 posts
297 upvotes
Toronto
desstiny wrote: I recommend the armor tool jig. much easier to setup than kreg.

I interchangeably use kreg and milescraft (yes they have a pocket hole jig too along with a 700pc star head pocket hole screw set) and also use the Hillman pocket hole screws from Canadian Tire.
though the screws from armor tool have some type of weatherproof coating, I haven't seen them for sale in Canadian sites
Interesting to read this. Have you tried the kreg system before? I'm.not questioning your recommendation, just wanted to know more of the facts before commiting to buy either the kreg or armor tool.
-Throw me a stone and I will build castle-
Jun 6, 2019
185 posts
282 upvotes
Otugrapes wrote: Word to the wise: pan head screws and pocket hole screws are not the same thing at all. Pan Head screws can be, for example, screws for particle board, but will not work for pocket hole joinery.

Pocket hole screws are self-tapping, which means they drill themselves into the adjoining piece. Regular pan head screws do not do this, and will lead to many hours of wondering why your piece isn't coming together properly.
Make sure you are buying pocket hole screws.
https://www.kregtool.com/PLP-LB_selecti ... QF6BAgFEAI
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2004
2032 posts
455 upvotes
Burlington
desstiny wrote: I recommend the armor tool jig. much easier to setup than kreg.

I've got a kreg but want to upgrade the clamp to the armor one but haven't yet trying to save up for a better miter saw.

Primecables had some screws that work. And sometimes they go on-sale for a really good price. https://www.primecables.ca/p-370556-rou ... ws-per-box
Jun 6, 2019
185 posts
282 upvotes
psxcheater wrote:
Interesting to read this. Have you tried the kreg system before? I'm.not questioning your recommendation, just wanted to know more of the facts before commiting to buy either the kreg or armor tool.
yes I tried the kreg system. once you set it up, you can go gung-ho in your project. for example, if you work purely using 3/4 plywood like in building a cabinet then you don't have to change settings. this is the advantage of the kreg k4/k5/520/720 system.

the set-up involves adjusting the drill block to the correct height and the drill bit collar to the correct length as per your material.
the kreg system has lines/markers for pre-defined material thickness.

my major problem with that is I usually work with different thickness materials as I work on different types of projects. it is so time consuming to set up the kreg system.

what I found with the armor jig is that you slide in your material, then clamp it.
the drill block height adjusts automatically (like the kreg 720) and most importantly, the drill bit collar gets automatically set to the correct length (just tighten it).
> this is where the armor is of a huge advantage.

then on the jig itself, it tells you what color or length of pocket screw you're supposed to use.

the newer kreg systems has the Lego type piece (that you may lose someday) to help you determine how to adjust the drill bit collar.

as for the drill block, the k4/k5 is detachable which makes it function similar to the k320.
the drill block on the 520,720,and armor are not detachable.

I have a milescraft pockethole jig (similar to kreg k320) but the setup is so time consuming as well.
(I also frequently use my milescraft dowel jig btw)

so it boils down to your intended projects and how much time do you want to spend setting up your pocket hole jig.

fun activity:
try to google instances where people have bored through their kreg jigs just because the drill bit collar was not adjusted to the correct length.

side note, the kreg kch3 and kch6 are such awesome clamps.
also, the kreg kchra right angle clamps are a definite recommendation if you really do pocket holes.