https://www.amazon.ca/Kuhn-Rikon-30324- ... 087f27faf9

Set comprises 5-1/4-quart pressure cooker and 2-1/8-quart pressure fry pan
5 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2009
1186 posts
493 upvotes
Toronto
Buy Instant Pot for convenient, better performance and cheaper.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2012
3294 posts
1832 upvotes
Calgary
tunglete wrote: Buy Instant Pot for convenient, better performance and cheaper.
while this particular deal isnt the lowest by far (I picked up & posted same item @$191.xx a few months back), I cannot agree with the entirety of your assessment. being an owner of both the instant pot duo60 & this kuhn rikon cooker set, I will attest to the validity of your last point that the instant pot is cheaper (by quite a lot) & slightly larger with a 6qt vs 5.25qt for the KR.

otherwise, the kuhn rikon pressure cookers are far more convenient & have much better (by quite a lot) performance. having used both, I hardly even touch my instant pot anymore. here's why...

1. the KR (kuhn rikon) heats up to pressure much much quicker
2. the KR cooks much faster cooking at 15psi vs 10-11psi of the IP (instant pot)
3. the KR is much more convenient in depressurizing by running it under the faucet or even by pushing the knob on top
4. this particular KR set also comes with a 2.125qt frypan cooker as well which means much much quicker pressurization + ability to cook smaller amts (eg steelcut oats) & used as a normal frypan
5. this particular KR set also comes with a very high quality glass cover (glass cover & pressure cover fits both pans)
6. more importantly, the food cooked by the KR tastes significantly better to my palate atleast - not sure why but I'm thinking its bcos of the higher cooking temp = speed
7. the KR is a much simpler system & is of very high quality that I can believe (& have read) that they can last a lifetime (perhaps even as heirloom for the nextgen) with some basic maintenance (clean, oil gasket & replace in due course + cleaning of pressure valves).
8. lastly, it takes so little energy to maintain high cooking pressure (i turn down my ceramic cooktop to the lowest heat setting) that I believe the KR cookers uses less electricity overall - not a biggie but its nice to know I'm not an energy waster.

I like mine & use it so often that I'm awaiting a deal for the larger KR sizes.
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2009
1186 posts
493 upvotes
Toronto
scotsum wrote: while this particular deal isnt the lowest by far (I picked up & posted same item @$191.xx a few months back), I cannot agree with the entirety of your assessment. being an owner of both the instant pot duo60 & this kuhn rikon cooker set, I will attest to the validity of your last point that the instant pot is cheaper (by quite a lot) & slightly larger with a 6qt vs 5.25qt for the KR.

otherwise, the kuhn rikon pressure cookers are far more convenient & have much better (by quite a lot) performance. having used both, I hardly even touch my instant pot anymore. here's why...

1. the KR (kuhn rikon) heats up to pressure much much quicker
2. the KR cooks much faster cooking at 15psi vs 10-11psi of the IP (instant pot)
3. the KR is much more convenient in depressurizing by running it under the faucet or even by pushing the knob on top
4. this particular KR set also comes with a 2.125qt frypan cooker as well which means much much quicker pressurization + ability to cook smaller amts (eg steelcut oats) & used as a normal frypan
5. this particular KR set also comes with a very high quality glass cover (glass cover & pressure cover fits both pans)
6. more importantly, the food cooked by the KR tastes significantly better to my palate atleast - not sure why but I'm thinking its bcos of the higher cooking temp = speed
7. the KR is a much simpler system & is of very high quality that I can believe (& have read) that they can last a lifetime (perhaps even as heirloom for the nextgen) with some basic maintenance (clean, oil gasket & replace in due course + cleaning of pressure valves).
8. lastly, it takes so little energy to maintain high cooking pressure (i turn down my ceramic cooktop to the lowest heat setting) that I believe the KR cookers uses less electricity overall - not a biggie but its nice to know I'm not an energy waster.

I like mine & use it so often that I'm awaiting a deal for the larger KR sizes.
I had a traditional pressure cooker for so long. Its made in Russian, built like tank, not sure when it will retire itself. I changed to Instant Pot lately, I am impressed that it can do just more than the previous buddy: slow cooker, pressure cooker, rice cooker, thermal cooker (maybe).... the timer and electronic integrated in the instant pot free me from attention. I can easily choose the mode and leave it there till done. Extremely easy to clean, just the inner pot and cap. Since I own both traditional and instant, I can't differentiate the taste of the two cooker.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2007
2158 posts
1368 upvotes
Cambridge
I just discovered the Instant Pot and I want one! Hate seeing that it was half price on black friday but I'm trying to find a deal on one before I order it on Amazon... not sure where else to pick one up.
Deal Expert
Oct 19, 2003
19586 posts
6898 upvotes
Toronto (Bloor West …
We use a duromatic (3044 8.5 qt model) and they are excellent, reliable and very high quality. I would not trade it for one of those cheap instantpot things. They are not comparable, the KR will last forever provided you replace the gasket every few years or something (which they do make available separately).