• Mar 1st, 2021 12:53 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 11, 2016
1832 posts
2638 upvotes

[Amazon.ca] LABISTS Raspberry Pi 4 Starter Kit 4gb, 64gbSDcard 108$ w/ Coupon

**Apply 34$ off coupon

I don't follow Raspberry Pi prices nor own a time machine so I can't say if this is a hot, warn or whatever deal but at 108$ shipped I bought 2 for the kids to horse around with during spring break.

LABISTS Raspberry Pi 4 Starter Kit
4GB RAM Board
64GB Micro SD Card Raspbian,
3A Power Supply with On/Off Switch,
Cooling Fan and 3 Heatsinks,
Premium Black Case and Other Necessary Accessories
35 replies
Aug 4, 2018
97 posts
74 upvotes
I think with 34$ off coupon it's a good all in clusive price. [plus, no tax applied when checking out]

$108 in for one. Thx OP!
Nov 11, 2006
766 posts
855 upvotes
Durham, Ontario
In before

"is this good for piHole"
Last edited by Eckz on Feb 27th, 2021 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nov 5, 2008
368 posts
266 upvotes
Richmond
Thanked. The fan that comes with the case is loud like others have posted but don't let that deter you from the overall bundle value.
Dec 7, 2011
108 posts
263 upvotes
SAINTE-MARTHE-SUR-LE…
Thanks OP, got one!
Deal Addict
May 12, 2014
2902 posts
2648 upvotes
Montreal
I would avoid getting a fan and heatsinks.

Just get the FLIRC case.
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2011
2691 posts
1878 upvotes
Parksville, BC
FrancisBacon wrote: I would avoid getting a fan and heatsinks.

Just get the FLIRC case.
I agree. I have an non-fan Armor case and it handles even the biggest loads I can put on the Pi.
Feb 10, 2016
73 posts
155 upvotes
toronto
Would this have to connect to the internet using an ethernet cable or does it work with wifi? Didnt see anything about this
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2011
2691 posts
1878 upvotes
Parksville, BC
Koenza wrote: Would this have to connect to the internet using an ethernet cable or does it work with wifi? Didnt see anything about this
All Pi 4's have built-in WiFi.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2016
2767 posts
1541 upvotes
Mississauga
I bought this bundle for I guess the same price around Oct/Nov last year. It was my first time using pi. Although this is a decent bundle, I would think buying barebone pi4 and Argon One case is a much better value.
The fan on this case got very loud within weeks. I eventually ended getting an Argon One case, the m2 version. Which is bit pricey, but the ssd is now enclosed inside. Plus standard HDMI ports is a win.
Last edited by IndyBeak on Feb 27th, 2021 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dec 2, 2019
236 posts
602 upvotes
Westbeachbc wrote: Thanked. The fan that comes with the case is loud like others have posted but don't let that deter you from the overall bundle value.
Change the pin configuration on that fan connection and you get yourself a okay fan :)
Deal Fanatic
Jun 8, 2003
8272 posts
670 upvotes
Scarborough
Yes, change the pin for quiet fan
Deal Expert
Aug 6, 2001
15114 posts
3020 upvotes
Stuck in a Box
Eckz wrote: In before

"is this good for piHole"
Recommend AdGuard Home instead of pihole. Better and more polished experience! And yes, this can run both pihole and AdGuard Home...
Sep 21, 2007
404 posts
233 upvotes
Canada
I just started using pihole and it doesn't block youtube ads. Am I doing something wrong?

Also, this pi 4 seems like overkill for pihole. I am running it on a less expensive older PI (pi b+) and it seems to work fine.
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2011
2691 posts
1878 upvotes
Parksville, BC
gadgetman wrote: I just started using pihole and it doesn't block youtube ads. Am I doing something wrong?

Also, this pi 4 seems like overkill for pihole. I am running it on a less expensive older PI (pi b+) and it seems to work fine.
pihole works on a pi zero which is $10 or $35 for a fill kit.
Last edited by flopticalcube on Feb 27th, 2021 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nov 11, 2006
766 posts
855 upvotes
Durham, Ontario
gadgetman wrote: I just started using pihole and it doesn't block youtube ads. Am I doing something wrong?

Nov 7, 2014
797 posts
369 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Are there any good kodi builds for rpi4 yet?

I'm coming a 10 year old media player that could do blu-ray 3D (Realtek 1186) . Remember that, kids? XD

I'm looking for the following features:
- 1.5 and 2x fast forward with pitch corrected audio
- when stopping FF sound and video should start immediately (well at least as fast as the 10 year old media player!)
- good ff/rw performance otherwise (not sure but I think this might mean needing to attach the drive directly to the player rather than over network?)
- ability to adjust OSD to display only what I want when I want (skin?)
- non-convoluted and easily controllable by a universal remote. CEC works but....

Can anyone suggest a kodi build/skin/etc that meets these requirements?

If this is asking too much is there a standalone media player that has all these? With the added requirement of supporting blu-ray 3D? I know Vero 4k+ supports has this but not sure about the other features.

I've tried kodi but so far been really disappointed at what I assumed were old school basic features... I'm not clear if this is just rpi4 kodi being in an incomplete state or just limitations of kodi itself. Thanks!
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
33579 posts
7252 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
The Pi is too expensive now. For a few dollars more, you can get a refurb Celeron based NUC that is a lot more powerful
Oct 28, 2005
502 posts
447 upvotes
Gee wrote: The Pi is too expensive now. For a few dollars more, you can get a refurb Celeron based NUC that is a lot more powerful
Can you suggest one? I'm looking for a box to run latest Kodi that can also decode HEVC/x265 videos. Thank you.
Dec 11, 2020
24 posts
23 upvotes
Pacific
Gee wrote: The Pi is too expensive now. For a few dollars more, you can get a refurb Celeron based NUC that is a lot more powerful
Not as power efficient though.