Expired Hot Deals

Amazon.ca

LABISTS Raspberry Pi 4B 4GB RAM Starter Kit (64GB MicroSD, Case, Fan, Power Supply, etc.) $108.99

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 22nd, 2021 1:05 pm
Mar 9, 2004
50 posts
4 upvotes
khimany wrote: You can plug the fan two different ways. Look in the manual and switch it to quiet mode setting. It works great. After switching, I got worried if the fan was even working, but sure it was :) Good luck!
I have this kit, I set the fan to run at 3.3V (low power/quiet mode) and mine was still way WAY too loud that I ended up getting a diff fan that's much quieter. The kit fan is just a really noisy fan.
Jul 13, 2020
109 posts
53 upvotes
TimmyT20801 wrote: Thank you. I am looking to hook up a small box to my TV. It sounds this is the perfect solution. I check there are different OS I can run with pi 4. What OS do you recommend?
You could start by installing Noobs (a 'framework'), then choose to install both Raspbian and Libreelec . I think Raspbian/Raspberry Pi OS will be best for browsing and Netflix. Be aware it can be a bit of a learning curve if you're new. The main issue with Netflix and some other services is that they use Widevine DRM, so the the browsers won't work out of the box and may break randomly from time to time. It is 'unofficial', so if you feel uncomfortable with that maybe it's not for you. Here is a good place to start with getting Chromium with Widevine support set up for Netflix etc

Libreelec has a few decent plugins to run services you subscribe to, I haven't tried it with Netflix though. That's a whole new kettle of fish in itself, and here probably isn't the best place to discuss some of the 'grey area' uses for such things.
Jan 27, 2007
812 posts
229 upvotes
Calgary
Thanks OP. Have the exact some one, ordered one more
Feb 28, 2019
94 posts
125 upvotes
MazMazda3 wrote: That's cool, man. What temps does it run on under load?
At 45-50ish. I don't really have much running though. Just Pihole and Openmediavault. Here's a video where the guy does series of stress tests with this aluminum fan-less case from Cana Kit to see how hot it gets.
Aug 21, 2014
17 posts
18 upvotes
Outremont, QC
YannF39839 wrote: How long do you think this would last running 24/7 as a PBX in a small business?

Plan is to sell a cheap Voip/PBX solution on premise for small businesses that have close to no infrastructure.
Plan is to set it up on Freepbx and backup everyday. Keep some RPI4 on the side in case RPI4 on premise dies so I can load them with backup and replace them real quick.
I f I could get 3 or 4 years out of each one that would be a great success. A PBX is not very demanding so I guess I should be good.
I am really in the begining of my thought process.
Maybe it's not feasable IDK.
If you have all those questions I'm not sure it's such a good idea...

Do you know what is a SIP trunk?

Technically it's possible... but to have the technical skills to set this up is something, and having the ability to sell this solution and make it profitable it's something else... The VoIP world/business is a crowded place!

This being said, you could always start small, test your setup, and grow after that if it's doalble... The starting investment is small.
Nov 24, 2013
202 posts
133 upvotes
Burnaby
YannF39839 wrote: How long do you think this would last running 24/7 as a PBX in a small business?

Plan is to sell a cheap Voip/PBX solution on premise for small businesses that have close to no infrastructure.
Plan is to set it up on Freepbx and backup everyday. Keep some RPI4 on the side in case RPI4 on premise dies so I can load them with backup and replace them real quick.
I f I could get 3 or 4 years out of each one that would be a great success. A PBX is not very demanding so I guess I should be good.
I had plans to deploy one back when rpi3b+ came out. while the processing power is no longer a problem, some of the challenges were from the limited support for arm vs x86 software. For my purposes I intended to add cellular trunks to my setup which further added limitations and compatibility issues. If your plan is to deploy one and connect to voipms etc. they should work with maybe a handful of sip endpoints.
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2002
10876 posts
3240 upvotes
Winnipeg
alunderscorenz wrote: You could start by installing Noobs (a 'framework'), then choose to install both Raspbian and Libreelec . I think Raspbian/Raspberry Pi OS will be best for browsing and Netflix. Be aware it can be a bit of a learning curve if you're new. The main issue with Netflix and some other services is that they use Widevine DRM, so the the browsers won't work out of the box and may break randomly from time to time. It is 'unofficial', so if you feel uncomfortable with that maybe it's not for you. Here is a good place to start with getting Chromium with Widevine support set up for Netflix etc

Libreelec has a few decent plugins to run services you subscribe to, I haven't tried it with Netflix though. That's a whole new kettle of fish in itself, and here probably isn't the best place to discuss some of the 'grey area' uses for such things.
Subscription based addons are legit.
it was super simple the last time I ran netflix on the rpi 4 libreelec.Add the addon from its repo and it auto installed. It Auto downloads the wdm form google its pretty big download.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2011
1287 posts
542 upvotes
Brandon
Be hot if it was the 8GB Ram version at that price! The 8GB right now is over priced in Canada!
Feb 19, 2009
266 posts
121 upvotes
JK_deals wrote: Anyone tried that case? https://www.amazon.ca/Argon-Raspberry-S ... r=1-3&th=1

I bought recently this Pi Kit but I am looking at upgrading the memory and like the idea of this case with a M2 SSD
Using the Miuzei case in low power mode. Super quiet. Using it with Home Assistant. Should've waited for this deal since I got the 32GB Lightning deal, but the case didn't fit the PI 4 since none the ports lined up. Got Labists to send me a new case (which looks like the updated 64GB one), couldn't wait that long, so picked up the Miuzei one.
Deal Addict
Sep 28, 2010
1467 posts
466 upvotes
Surrey
khimany wrote: Yes for browsing. I haven't tried Netflix, but wouldn't see why not. Yes for media server - install miniDLNA.
YouTube is very slow Imo, you need 8gb...haven't tried Netflix
Feb 27, 2003
717 posts
474 upvotes
Langley
No longer see the coupon, is there any deals on just the board?
Xphile. (as in 'X-files aficionado'..so yeah, I guess I am old..)

Land Back.
Deal Expert
Aug 6, 2001
15822 posts
3665 upvotes
Stuck in a Box
yorkhvac wrote: Ordered two will install PiHole for two locations.
Paid last month $124 now that has to go back.
Pihole only use case can be achieved with less powerful rpi
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2010
2650 posts
400 upvotes
Burnaby
the coupon has been changed to $20 from $34. Orz.
ASUS RAMPAGE II EXTREME; i7-950; GTX 560; 16G Mem; 2TB HD; 24x DVD-RAM;
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2004
3836 posts
1225 upvotes
Toronto

If you do this, don't use a fan: it will be a common failure point for a fire-and-forget system. There are a number of case (some mentioned in this thread) that are passive heat sinks. The first was the FLIRC but there are others now.

Another point of failure might well be the SD card. Perhaps high-endurance cards would be a good investment (I don't know).
Apr 14, 2006
882 posts
547 upvotes
St Johns
alunderscorenz wrote: totally agree. I run PiHole and OpenVPN on a Zero-W with no issues. Just sits there silently and does its thing.
Is PiHole effective in protecting web surfing for kids?
Deal Addict
May 9, 2003
1494 posts
384 upvotes
alunderscorenz wrote: totally agree. I run PiHole and OpenVPN on a Zero-W with no issues. Just sits there silently and does its thing.
I do this too and it definitely works but OpenVPN probably requires a better board. It's a bottleneck for me due to the limited processing on Zero-W. Have you run into that?
Mar 17, 2017
173 posts
238 upvotes
GTA
dealseeker wrote: I do this too and it definitely works but OpenVPN probably requires a better board. It's a bottleneck for me due to the limited processing on Zero-W. Have you run into that?
Don't use OpenVPN. Use PiVPN and choose the Wireguard protocol. It's much, much faster and lighter for both server and clients.