Shopping Discussion

amazon.ca "leave at front door" feature is now missing?

• Last Updated:
  • May 17th, 2021 10:01 am
[OP]
Mar 22, 2013
170 posts
193 upvotes
BC

amazon.ca "leave at front door" feature is now missing?

You used to be able to select where you wanted packages left.

Sold or fulfilled by amazon.

Front door.

With neighbor.

Backyard.

Does amazon no longer provide this option?

Is anyone else missing this feature or is just me?

In 2020 I noticed amazon drivers were being lazy and wanted to avoid climbing 20 stairs - instead they would opt to leave my packages at my street level garage door, 100% in sight of all porch pirates.

Then I discovered you could choose "front door" as the preferred location to leave packages and suddenly amazon drivers started to make the effort to climb the stairs.

I've never had an issue with porch pirates, but I don't want to start having one either.
13 replies
[OP]
Mar 22, 2013
170 posts
193 upvotes
BC
Upon further investigation, you can set "delivery preference" via amazon account settings.

It looks like you can only choose 1 option per address, and not 1 option per each and every single order/delivery.

Weird.
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2012
2507 posts
758 upvotes
GTA
Up till Wednesday they were leaving at my condo door. Today they left lots of packages in an open space near the mailroom, so one has to run down and search through the packages to find one's own. Could be stolen by anyone, especially the small packages. I think Amazon's falling apart. There's also no email notification of delivery date or that packages have actually been delivered, except to check their site regularly. Guess people are buying non-essentials from them because stores are controlled.
Jul 20, 2017
278 posts
283 upvotes
Honestly, most drivers aren't going to seem to care about the suggested location. If your driver really cared, they would go up to the stairs.

If you are worried about packages being stolen, you can always send them to a near Canada Post location.
Here to buy stuff I don't need
Deal Expert
Jan 9, 2011
15830 posts
21585 upvotes
Vancouver
I never order anything for home delivery anymore since drop and dash for porch pirates became the new normal. Not interested in having my stuff stolen or giving thieves any more reason to prowl around my neighbourhood. I get everything sent to the PO and pick it up, and encourage all of my neighbours to do the same.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2013
7219 posts
4885 upvotes
SW ON
I don't remember seeing those options but they always leave packages at front door.
Deal Expert
Jan 12, 2017
20507 posts
5856 upvotes
Scarberia
i get mine delivered to side door but sometimes the driver is lazy and chucks it on my front door with no porch and its visible from the sidewalks...easy to steal but suprislying i've never had any of my stuff stolen in 10 years
*SIG: Ryzen R5 2600 cpu w/ ASrock B450M OCd to [email protected] stock cooler 16gb ram win10 pro w/radeon rx460 rogers Gigabit<< xb1 gamertag: mikka2017 >>
Jan 4, 2008
890 posts
389 upvotes
Mississauga
It's too bad they don't have more options for delivery preferences.

Depending on the size of the item and how its shipped, I'd prefer deliveries in certain spots. If it's in those orange envelopes, it could easily fit in my mailbox. Or even between my screen door on the driveway where it's not visible to people. But those kinds of things aren't options.

Something so simple that really doesn't cost Amazon or any delivery company money should be something they utilize. Especially if it could lead to less thefts. Why force people to only choose a select 5 or so generic delivery preferences?
Deal Expert
Jan 9, 2011
15830 posts
21585 upvotes
Vancouver
gr8dlr wrote: Another option is to use Amazon lockers. I can see 3 near me right now.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/help/customer/ ... =201910840
Those are great if Amazon actually lets you deliver what you order to one. Those instances are rare in my experience. On the last Prime day, Amazon ship any of what I ordered to a locker.
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
18560 posts
13357 upvotes
Markham
Kiraly wrote: Those are great if Amazon actually lets you deliver what you order to one. Those instances are rare in my experience. On the last Prime day, Amazon ship any of what I ordered to a locker.
You mean they won't deliver to their own locker? I've never had to use these.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Expert
Jan 9, 2011
15830 posts
21585 upvotes
Vancouver
gr8dlr wrote: You mean they won't deliver to their own locker? I've never had to use these.
That’s right. I think my success rate of having an Amazon locker eligible for my order is about 10%. Even small things like books couldn’t be delivered there. And I’m talking about orders sold and fulfilled by Amazon. .
Feb 3, 2011
223 posts
20 upvotes
Thornhill
Our Amazon driver is a lazy guy, he always puts "handed to resident" into the system while he just throws a package to steps. And yes, the option "leave at front door" is missing now.
Jan 29, 2017
178 posts
180 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
I have had a notice on my front door since the pandemic started for all deliveries to be left by the garage door entrance as the doorbell doesn't work at the front door and we now have a Ring doorbell, so even if they don't push it, at least we get an alert. However, some don't even bother reading and just dump the package, which means it sits there all day. Annoying.