Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon.ca] LED HDMI Video Projector $40 (native 480p)

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 4th, 2019 7:22 pm
[OP]
Dec 27, 2007
21270 posts
12823 upvotes
Kitchener

[Amazon.ca] LED HDMI Video Projector $40 (native 480p)

https://www.amazon.ca/Projector-Support ... B07GZRG3C2

Just sharing this cheapo projector (posted about it on another thread but it deserves a thread on its own) for two reasons:
- Price is good for what it does ($40 for a toy HDMI projector with modest brightness and DVD quality image). MSRP used to be $130 with sale around the $100, so it's being cleared as of earlier today for $40. Aside from nonserious viewing, partying and lightweight video gaming check @redkulat Halloween use case here.
- As a reference line for people posting overpriced toy projectors thinking it's a good deal just because the seller decided to reduce an insane MSRP markup to lower insane sale markup.

Deals on these projectors can only be had below the following thresholds:
$50 for native 480p
$100 for native 720p
$150 for native 1080p

Deals can only be had when FBA sellers are forced to clear out amazon warehouses inventory (they are still making money, but at least reasonable enough for what they are selling) or when stars align and they start a lightning deal with a coupon still active.

The seller seems honest enough not to post fake brightness numbers but like most similar projectors it's probably something between 40 and 60 real lumens (and between 2000 and 2600 advertised fake lumens).

This is the same projector as the ABOX T22 that FBA scammers are charging $109 for it (with 4/5 rating over 750 reviews of people who mostly don't know any better or being compensated for these reviews). The ABOX never went below $90 since it was first available on amazon more than 2 years ago (the most recent review was just 2 days ago).

61VznWUqp-L._SL1001_.jpg
23 replies
[OP]
Dec 27, 2007
21270 posts
12823 upvotes
Kitchener
What's the deal with amazon's FBA LED projectors?
aasoror wrote: these are middle school science fair toys with plastic optics, fake contrast and brightness numbers with no real warranty or support (regardless of brand, resolution and claimed brightness they all look like the video below once torn down), and the markup is insane for what they are selling.

Epson was fishing for someone to hold accountable for the fake advertisement and the moment Curtis started selling similar projectors under RCA brand the lawsuit was on.

https://www.projectorcentral.com/epson- ... claims.htm

There is a reason none of these sellers will ever submit a review sample to any reputable AV site and rather depend on peer reviews instead (many of which are either compensated or simply don't know any better).
Any good deal to be had at regular sales and/or lightning deals?
aasoror wrote: Any real projector will be better than this (I know because I needed to sample them at one time for a market survey), there is a market for them for what they are but not for that asking price, the only deal to be had on these projectors is when FBA sellers are forced to reduce them to clear amazon warehouses.
$50 for SD, $100 for HD and $150 for FHD would be the a fair "non-deal" price for what you are getting, (from cheapest to most pricy these are basically the same aside from a 3"~5" LCD semi-transparent panel which gives the resolution bump, which in no way would cost the huge price hicks).
Contrast and brightness is a straight face lie, optics are cheap plastic

Problem with the FBA toy projectors are not that they don't work (because they do, I have few of them collecting dust somewhere), it's just that they are a ripoff (for the ongoing price), those advocating them as a "budget-friendly solution" are either unaware of how "bang for buck" work (majority of first time owners on amazon) or are just pushing their own agenda for compensation (you can clearly see that on the video reviews). The answer to affordability should never be overpaying for less capable options.
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2004
4943 posts
539 upvotes
Victoria
Is it good or is it wack?
Not a political sig
[OP]
Dec 27, 2007
21270 posts
12823 upvotes
Kitchener
dealguy2 wrote: Is it good or is it wack?
Good for what you get for $40. Much better bang for the buck than paying $75~$100 for the same projector and thinking you are getting a good deal just because a real projector is $300 more.
Mar 5, 2018
6 posts
1 upvote
Just ordered one. I'm sure the kids will like it.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 10, 2010
7018 posts
2669 upvotes
Calgary
I think people expect too much for something they pay $40 for. I bought one (not the same brand but pretty much the same projector) a couple of years ago for a Halloween project, it did exactly what it supposed to. As long as you have a realistic expectation, shouldn't be too disappointed.
[OP]
Dec 27, 2007
21270 posts
12823 upvotes
Kitchener
althetrainer wrote: I think people expect too much for something they pay $40 for.
IMO it's not about people expecting too much for $40 (you can't even buy a licensed toy slide projector for $40), the reason I created this thread is for people not expecting much when they pay twice and trice that price for similar toy projectors (some FBA sellers have the audacity to ask around the $300 for that same hardware once they change the semi-transparent LCD panel inside it to a 1080p one, and people post them here as "deals" :facepalm:).
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2011
1345 posts
1048 upvotes
Gatineau
This is literally the same as the ABOX T22 which sells for quite a bit more. It's a decent projector, nothing more nothing less. I understand the mentality that 480p is garbage, but I own a pico DLP projector that has a native resolution of 480p, and while watching movies, the resolution does not bother me at all. Anyways for $40, Im in. Im practically obsessed with cheap projectors. Thanks OP
Maybe I can build a house with all the boxes from stuff I've bought off RFD
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2006
2866 posts
796 upvotes
Excellent thread. Thank you for not bring like every other cheapo projector post. This was well thought out and very detailed.
May 13, 2017
56 posts
75 upvotes
Chateauguay
I don't need it I don't need it I don't need it...
[OP]
Dec 27, 2007
21270 posts
12823 upvotes
Kitchener
KenA wrote: Excellent thread. Thank you for not bring like every other cheapo projector post. This was well thought out and very detailed.
The amount of misconception about these projectors is no different than how it was for the cheapo unlicensed Android on TV boxes. While it took some time and effort with those boxes (esp with all the shills and fake reviews) but eventually people here were clear about what they are getting themselves into and the hype dried up.
[OP]
Dec 27, 2007
21270 posts
12823 upvotes
Kitchener
redkulat wrote: I ended up buying one before they sold out. Going to use it for a 2nd window for Halloween.

If people ended up grabbing one and want to use it for Halloween, a fellow from reddit shared a folder with me:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/a6m9yowllv8q ... GCz6a?dl=0
No Christmas ones there :(