Expired Hot Deals

Amazon.ca

Lenovo Flex 5 14" 2-in-1 Laptop Ryzen 5 4500U 16gb DDR, 256GB SSD $810

[OP]
Member
Jun 28, 2004
496 posts
87 upvotes

[Amazon.ca] Lenovo Flex 5 14" 2-in-1 Laptop Ryzen 5 4500U 16gb DDR, 256GB SSD $810

Update 07/10: Price drop to $810 from Amazon, and lowest is $799 from 3rd party free shipping.

There's been a bunch of threads on various AMD Ryzen based laptop deals, but I think this one is quite decent

Lenovo Flex 5 14" 2-in-1 Laptop
14.0" FHD (1920 x 1080) Touch Display
AMD Ryzen 5 4500U Processor
16GB DDR4
256GB SSD
Digital Pen Included
Graphite Grey

The storage is a bit small at 256GB, but unlike RAM, I assume it can be upgraded. The RAM is 16GB soldered which should lower the fear of non-upgradeable.

It comes with a pen as well. I think a pretty good package overall for the price. Unfortunately, it cannot do 4k/60 external display output, which is a deal breaker for me but for others may be fine.
Last edited by clergykid on Jul 10th, 2020 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thread Summary
Update July 10th, 2020

Price drop: CDN$ 810.31
Arrives: Thursday, July 16
Fastest delivery: Sunday, July 12
Order within 15 hrs and 30 mins
92 replies
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jun 15, 2005
1944 posts
1715 upvotes
This almost exact laptop was selling for $790 not even a few weeks ago. So, I assume it should come back to that price soon?
Unless I am missing something obvious to those more in the “know”...
Images
  • BFD952DE-4B92-4D80-AC0A-07838181D2CE.jpeg
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2015
3627 posts
3738 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Personally I think the one at Costco is a much better deal. More SSD, Ryzen 4700U instead of 4500U but more importantly, Costco's three months return and two years warranty.
Happy Koodo Public Mobile customer :-)
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 19, 2005
2336 posts
525 upvotes
York
Arkaine wrote: This almost exact laptop was selling for $790 not even a few weeks ago. So, I assume it should come back to that price soon?
Unless I am missing something obvious to those more in the “know”...
It sold out pretty fast at that price. I believe it was the 4500u version not the 4700u at Costco.
"It's how you deal with failure that determines how you achieve success."
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jun 15, 2005
1944 posts
1715 upvotes
The Destroyer wrote: It sold out pretty fast at that price. I believe it was the 4500u version not the 4700u at Costco.
For sure, but the one I am referring to was sold on amazon and was the 4500u. I attached a print screen in my previous post.
Banned
May 24, 2020
60 posts
110 upvotes
Really like the design of Flex 14 or 15, and the Ryzen 4000 series as well. I am very frustrated when I missed the sale from the Lenovo website in June. It was only $700 plus an 8% rebate for the Flex 15 R5 4500u (8Gb Ram soldered+512Gb SSD). The pro of this model is the16Gb Ram. The price is not bad if you compare it to other vendors currently. But I am still waiting for the bigger sale. Wish it would come back to $700 again someday.
Member
Apr 13, 2010
310 posts
598 upvotes
I think 16 GB soldered would have been marginally acceptable 5 years ago, and nowadays, 32 GB soldered may be an acceptable tradeoff, but they're doing this because they want you to either pay them double what the memory upgrade costs aftermarket, or buy a new laptop sooner. I don't think it's right to play along and reward that kind of behaviour.

There are a lot of older laptops that can be upgraded to 16GB and a SATA 6Gb SSD without getting anywhere near the price of new ones, and if you're going to pay more, it shouldn't be for deliberately crippled hardware.
Banned
May 24, 2020
60 posts
110 upvotes
Technically, Ryzen 5 4500u is strong enough for a laptop. 4700u is like something that you can get but you can't realizeFace With Tears Of Joy
Member
Aug 16, 2009
323 posts
280 upvotes
Vancouver
S1 wrote: I think 16 GB soldered would have been marginally acceptable 5 years ago, and nowadays, 32 GB soldered may be an acceptable tradeoff, but they're doing this because they want you to either pay them double what the memory upgrade costs aftermarket, or buy a new laptop sooner. I don't think it's right to play along and reward that kind of behaviour.

There are a lot of older laptops that can be upgraded to 16GB and a SATA 6Gb SSD without getting anywhere near the price of new ones, and if you're going to pay more, it shouldn't be for deliberately crippled hardware.
What is your use case that you would consider 16GB Ram only acceptable 5 years ago? 5 Years ago 8GB would have been a healthy amount.
16GB ram is a healthy amount now for a general use laptop (web browsing and office use) and should be good for a decent number of years (3-5).
32GB ram to totally overkill unless you insist on running over hundreds of tabs open and running other memory intensive programs which this laptop is not designed to do.

you have to look at the whole machine, with a 1080p screen, a mobile processor just chucking in more ram isn't really going to improve your performance
Member
May 25, 2015
316 posts
346 upvotes
Ontario
willy0275 wrote: Personally I think the one at Costco is a much better deal. More SSD, Ryzen 4700U instead of 4500U but more importantly, Costco's three months return and two years warranty.
The only downside is that this one has bilingual keyboard instead of a US keyboard. The US Costco has the same modal with US keyboard for a similar price if you convert USD to CAD.
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2015
3627 posts
3738 upvotes
Montreal, QC
electric0ant wrote: What is your use case that you would consider 16GB Ram only acceptable 5 years ago? 5 Years ago 8GB would have been a healthy amount.
16GB ram is a healthy amount now for a general use laptop (web browsing and office use) and should be good for a decent number of years (3-5).
32GB ram to totally overkill unless you insist on running over hundreds of tabs open and running other memory intensive programs which this laptop is not designed to do.

you have to look at the whole machine, with a 1080p screen, a mobile processor just chucking in more ram isn't really going to improve your performance
Personally I think 16GB of RAM is plenty enough for 99.5% of users, my work laptop has 32GB because we're running lots of virtual machines and Docker containers, but that's a very specific usage.
Happy Koodo Public Mobile customer :-)
Member
Mar 16, 2006
315 posts
293 upvotes
The machine config is reasonable.
But the reviews from that Amazon link paint a different picture. Seems it can get hot and noisy. Couple that with difficult warranty support (based on reviewer’s comments indicating having to ship to U.S) and Costco Canada seems a better option.
Member
Apr 13, 2010
310 posts
598 upvotes
electric0ant wrote: you have to look at the whole machine, with a 1080p screen, a mobile processor just chucking in more ram isn't really going to improve your performance
I'm not sure how screen resolution plays a role in anything other than human productivity here, so I won't address it much other than to say that external monitors are a big upgrade path for older laptops, unless you're using it mostly on the road.

When you talk about improving performance, it's important to look at what the bottleneck is. Some things legitimately are slow because of the CPU, but when a normal general purpose user makes a vague statement about their system "being slow", or "getting bogged down", I think it's safe to say they're referring to the OS swapping out stuff to free up memory.

16 GB is fine for now, but given that memory is the main bottleneck for general-purpose productivity use cases, it stands to reason that people buying laptops for that use case should make sure they can spend one to two hundred to upgrade to 32 GB of memory in a few years instead of having to spend another thousand on a new laptop.

If you're going to pay new laptop prices for it, it should be upgradable later on, or you're wasting your money on something you don't need. About the only exception to this rule is laptop gaming (or any other CPU/GPU related task), and similarly, it's because laptop CPUs and GPUs are non-upgradable.
Newbie
Apr 30, 2020
38 posts
34 upvotes
S1 wrote: I'm not sure how screen resolution plays a role in anything ......
At this price point something has to give. The flex 5 is tremendous value for the segment of the market at attempts to meet

8gb is fine & 16gb is plenty for a budget latop. My gf is getting by with a Celeron and 4gb of RAM somehow.
Newbie
Oct 21, 2014
59 posts
236 upvotes
604
Costco has a new flex 5 $999.99
in the store

Ryzen 7 4700U
16GB
512 gb SSD
14"FHD
Member
Apr 13, 2010
310 posts
598 upvotes
beno619 wrote: At this price point something has to give. The flex 5 is tremendous value for the segment of the market at attempts to meet

8gb is fine & 16gb is plenty for a budget latop. My gf is getting by with a Celeron and 4gb of RAM somehow.
Yeah, I wasn't complaining about the screen resolution of this laptop, I was wondering why the post I was replying to was trying to argue that it's pointless to upgrade the memory in a laptop with a 1080p screen.
Confused99 wrote: How does one tell if the memory is upgradable?
For any given laptop model, it may say it in the specifications, or it might be clear in the repair manual, if you can find one for that laptop, or you might see it mentioned in a review or teardown. I wouldn't spend new laptop money without confirming this, though at this point I'll probably upgrade to a used laptop that can upgrade to 32 GB, when I get sick of being on the 16 GB I have now.
Member
Sep 12, 2006
205 posts
138 upvotes
aawen604 wrote: Costco has a new flex 5 $999.99
in the store

Ryzen 7 4700U
16GB
512 gb SSD
14"FHD
Which Costco? Burlington ON didn't have it.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2017
2004 posts
2160 upvotes
Looks like price has dropped to $810.
Public Mobile, Tangerine

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)