Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon.ca] Leviton 15-amp Receptacle with USB Charger $20.98

  • Last Updated:
  • May 27th, 2020 12:57 pm
[OP]
Member
Dec 31, 2005
281 posts
145 upvotes
Toronto

[Amazon.ca] Leviton 15-amp Receptacle with USB Charger $20.98

I was looking for a receptacle with a built in USB charger for my parents and came across this deal. Looks to be at an all-time low for this item according to k33pa. There are quite a few choices for this kind of product but I thought it might worthwhile to go with an established brand.

https://www.amazon.ca/Leviton-T5632-W-C ... PMU4C?th=1
12 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2014
1399 posts
4011 upvotes
Calgary, AB
I have two of these style receptacles (Hubble branded) that rarely get used anymore as they don't support any voltage over 5V. Most of my devices support Power Delivery (PD) and I've almost always got a power brick plugged into these outlets with built-in USB ports never getting used.
Newbie
Jan 24, 2016
72 posts
103 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
soupmaster666 wrote: Don't forget in Ontario replacing a Tamper Resistant receptacle requires a permit, and the most recent code requires TR outlets almost everywhere - including all bedrooms and living areas.

Many places that don't require a TR outlet do require GFCI - so basically every outlet now needs a permit.
I don’t think this is correct. Like for like (ie. replace existing outlet with another one) should not require a permit. Do you have a reference?
Sr. Member
Jan 2, 2014
699 posts
382 upvotes
markthomas594 wrote: I don’t think this is correct. Like for like (ie. replace existing outlet with another one) should not require a permit. Do you have a reference?
No it's not.
Member
Nov 17, 2010
231 posts
182 upvotes
Actually, it is true. Although as an experienced DIY for electrical work, I (and most others) do not get permits simply because getting caught is a very low risk. The code requires using TR when replacing outlets where children may be present, which is almost anywhere except where outlets may be raised, ie: kitchen but they are protected by GFCI anyway.

Let's be honest, Home Depot still sells lots of non TR outlets, so demand is still strong.

https://www.oel.org/news/details/2018-c ... 15-changes
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2009
1911 posts
2391 upvotes
GTA
markthomas594 wrote: I don’t think this is correct. Like for like (ie. replace existing outlet with another one) should not require a permit. Do you have a reference?
I looked it up as I also thought it was fine. No for owners, yes for LEC (Licenced Electrical Contractor) as per Rule 2-005 a).
An owner in a home (not condo) can replace a switch or non-recessed light as per Rule 2-005 b), but not a receptacle without a permit. Some further details in the bulletin.

https://esasafe.com/assets/files/esasaf ... 2-3-17.pdf
Sr. Member
Jan 2, 2014
699 posts
382 upvotes
tr0ck wrote: Actually, it is true. Although as an experienced DIY for electrical work, I (and most others) do not get permits simply because getting caught is a very low risk. The code requires using TR when replacing outlets where children may be present, which is almost anywhere except where outlets may be raised, ie: kitchen but they are protected by GFCI anyway.

Let's be honest, Home Depot still sells lots of non TR outlets, so demand is still strong.

https://www.oel.org/news/details/2018-c ... 15-changes
I passed a bylaw in my house that no children are allowed...
Newbie
Jul 28, 2014
81 posts
233 upvotes
Vancouver
This is a good price. HD has these for $30.99, albeit only in the white for this price. Amazon charges you black single pack is $46m whereas HD has it at the same price as the white.

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/levito ... 1000806312

If you are in BC (and depending on your location), see this if you really are by the book https://www.technicalsafetybc.ca/permit ... er-permits
Don't buy it if you don't need it.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 19, 2014
1132 posts
1664 upvotes
GPS - error
tr0ck wrote: Actually, it is true. Although as an experienced DIY for electrical work, I (and most others) do not get permits simply because getting caught is a very low risk. The code requires using TR when replacing outlets where children may be present, which is almost anywhere except where outlets may be raised, ie: kitchen but they are protected by GFCI anyway.

Let's be honest, Home Depot still sells lots of non TR outlets, so demand is still strong.

https://www.oel.org/news/details/2018-c ... 15-changes
At Home Depot everyone is an electrician and has permits! :)
Sr. Member
User avatar
Mar 2, 2008
988 posts
1366 upvotes
Blips & Chitz
whytibear wrote: If you are in BC (and depending on your location), see this if you really are by the book https://www.technicalsafetybc.ca/permit ... er-permits
Wow, that's a eyeopener. So, $110 just to swap an old receptacle to a TR receptacle. Or $80ish/hour +/- to pay an electrician. I'm guessing there's a shit-ton of rogue electrical work being done throughout the province.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2009
1911 posts
2391 upvotes
GTA
escape1975 wrote: At Home Depot everyone is an electrician and has permits! :)
We also plumbers, gas fitters and finish carpenters. Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
Sr. Member
User avatar
Mar 2, 2008
988 posts
1366 upvotes
Blips & Chitz
whytibear wrote:
If you are in BC (and depending on your location), see this if you really are by the book https://www.technicalsafetybc.ca/permit ... er-permits
brghunter wrote: Wow, that's a eyeopener. So, $110 just to swap an old receptacle to a TR receptacle. Or $80ish/hour +/- to pay an electrician. I'm guessing there's a shit-ton of rogue electrical work being done throughout the province.
Upon further reading, I believe my assumption was incorrect. The $110 fee is for "Addition of one new circuit or modification of an existing circuit". I don't think swapping out a switch or receptacle applies here as a "modification of an existing circuit". That likely means adding or removing a load on the existing circuit.

Link to the full regs, updated Jan 1, 2020, current to May 19, 2020.

Section 18: When permit is not required for electrical work
(1) No permit is required if the only electrical work performed is testing.
(2) An individual may replace the following regulated products without a permit, up to a maximum rating of 150 V to ground, with electrical equipment of a similar type or rating:
  • (a) receptacles;
    (b) cord attachment plugs;
    (c) snap switches;
    (d) ballasts;
    (e) dimmer switches;
    (f) fan speed controllers;
    (g) thermostats;
    (h) overcurrent devices.

Top