Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Amazon.ca

Levoit Cool Mist Humidifier no filter $49.99 ($20 coupon)

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 29th, 2020 9:01 pm
20 replies
Jan 20, 2019
22 posts
10 upvotes
Toronto
DrunkTrailerParkSupervisor wrote: How do you deal with all the white dust?
It's caused by the minerals in hard water. Use filtered water like from a Brita or buy and use distilled water. You'll have to clean it out every so often but as long as you don't let it build up too much it'll be okay.
Jan 20, 2019
22 posts
10 upvotes
Toronto
I actually got one of these a while ago. They work reasonably well, no real issues. My first one worked great for a bit but then had a really loud motor sound when turning it on (that eventually went away after like 30 seconds). I got it warranty replaced and was sent a new one. The new one never had the problem. It's ideal for small to medium sized rooms.
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2018
1610 posts
943 upvotes
Also trying to find a good non ultrasonic humidifier so don't get the white dust all over.

Distilled water is another $4 or so each time its filled which would be emptied I'd assume 12-15 hours like the one I have now.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
21248 posts
25711 upvotes
GTA
Artwebb1986 wrote: Also trying to find a good non ultrasonic humidifier so don't get the white dust all over.

Distilled water is another $4 or so each time its filled which would be emptied I'd assume 12-15 hours like the one I have now.
You could get a reverse osmosis filter for your tap water and fill it there.

Are you getting white dust in the machine? Or around the room?
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2018
1610 posts
943 upvotes
engineered wrote: You could get a reverse osmosis filter for your tap water and fill it there.

Are you getting white dust in the machine? Or around the room?
Everywhere In the room.
Jan 20, 2012
112 posts
49 upvotes
MONTR
We bought a large Brita water filter, and we pour the filtered water into the humidifier before sleep. It stopped the "white dust" entirely for us.
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2005
2449 posts
1639 upvotes
Montreal
dukes29 wrote: It's caused by the minerals in hard water. Use filtered water like from a Brita or buy and use distilled water. You'll have to clean it out every so often but as long as you don't let it build up too much it'll be okay.
After getting a house coated in sticky white dust, I started using only water filtered with Brita. But it takes a very long time to filter 5-6 liters and I have to refill it 2-3 times a day, which is annoying. Clearly this is not a long term solution. I'm going crazy.

Only evaporative humidifiers do not leave white dust using regular water. I suggest buying that type instead.
Best Deals: Star Alliance Silver without even flying= FREE
Telus CAN/USA Unlimited, CID/VM/SMS 25gb $25/month
Electrolux 527 Washer $300
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2005
2449 posts
1639 upvotes
Montreal
yesstyle wrote: Does using distilled water work? Or water from the water softener
Distilled water works. If you use water from the water softener that is softened with water softening crystals, you will get even more white dust in the form of sodium.
Oct 2, 2007
167 posts
103 upvotes
YYC
One of my Levoit units hardly produces any white dust as its "Warm mist" setting is actually using steam... white dust from that unit is minimal. My other Levoit is solely ultrasonic, and therefore after using it for a few weeks it's going back to Amazon. They have a great warranty, but I really can't deal with the white dust.

I'm going to give this a try as I've read plenty of reviews and the demineralization filter system seems to have worked for a lot of users... I've got my fingers crossed!

https://www.costco.ca/pureguardian-120- ... 34489.html
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
21248 posts
25711 upvotes
GTA
Artwebb1986 wrote: Everywhere In the room.
I guess that makes sense since it's basically spraying water directly into the air. I haven't noticed it but my water doesn't appear to have too much mineral in it.
Do you have a water softener?
deal_king wrote: After getting a house coated in sticky white dust, I started using only water filtered with Brita. But it takes a very long time to filter 5-6 liters and I have to refill it 2-3 times a day, which is annoying. Clearly this is not a long term solution. I'm going crazy.

Only evaporative humidifiers do not leave white dust using regular water. I suggest buying that type instead.
Warm mist systems won't cause it either, since they boil the water. Boiling water is a method of distillation. However, you will have to clean the minerals of your humidifier basin.

If you get an under the sink reverse osmosis filter that should fix all of your problems.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
8480 posts
5296 upvotes
Toronto
If there's no filter, it's gotta go somewhere, so where does it go?
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2005
2449 posts
1639 upvotes
Montreal
engineered wrote: I guess that makes sense since it's basically spraying water directly into the air. I haven't noticed it but my water doesn't appear to have too much mineral in it.
Do you have a water softener?

Warm mist systems won't cause it either, since they boil the water. Boiling water is a method of distillation. However, you will have to clean the minerals of your humidifier basin.
This is not correct. I've been using the hot mist of the TaoTronics humidifier and it leaves white dust everywhere. If you don't want white dust, it must be an evaporative humidifier. Many ultrasonic humidifiers have a hot mist function but the way the water is misted still creates white dust.

Do a keyword search of the reviews of warm mist humidifiers for white dust...
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2003
15213 posts
1671 upvotes
Markham
deal_king wrote: This is not correct. I've been using the hot mist of the TaoTronics humidifier and it leaves white dust everywhere. If you don't want white dust, it must be an evaporative humidifier. Many ultrasonic humidifiers have a hot mist function but the way the water is misted still creates white dust.

Do a keyword search of the reviews of warm mist humidifiers for white dust...
So long as the core technology is ultrasonic, it will create white dust

There are humidifiers that use heat to create steam, these do not produce white dust because all the hard minerals get attached to the heating elements in the humidifier, kind of like your water kettles

Evaporative humidifiers also do not create white dust, but the minerals clog up the evaporative wick and those need to replaced regularly
ShadowVlican
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
19713 posts
13577 upvotes
Ottawa
I went through so many different room humidifiers and I hated all of them.

Cool mist: white dust. You have to filter the water or buy expensive distilled water. Or buy expensive demineralization cartridges, or other weird things like a silver ion stick.
Warm: due to the heating element, they get gunky easily which is hard to clean, Need to scrub and soak in vinegar regularly. Too high maintenance and bacterial buildup is a problem.
Evaporative Wick (Vornado is the one I had) Mostly good except you have to buy these expensive wicks which don't last too long. A bit noisy.

Right now I'm using a Venta Airwasher which is an evaporative disk type. It's easy to clean (throw parts in dishwasher), or just wipe and rinse, every 2 weeks. You have to buy a special additive which is a $30 bottle per season, but I think this type of unit is the best compromise of ease to clean, and yearly cost. It's quite effective at supplying humidity
Please update your profile to include your city https://forums.redflagdeals.com/ucp.php?i=ucp_profile&mode=profile_info