231 posts
194 upvotes
Soviet Canuckistan

[Amazon.ca] Lexar & Patriot 512Gb MicroSDXC for under $100

Lexar 512Gb
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07KBQQ82D

Patriot 512Gb
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07S98ZVLZ

These prices are probably driven by the increasing availability of SanDisk's 1Tb MicroSD- still crazy at over $450 each. But 512Gb in MicroSD is dropping prices fast.
Not sure if they are competing, but both these brands have been fluctuating up and down between $83-99 each over the last couple weeks; Lexar is down to $83 now, Patriot was $90 last week now back up to $99- which is still a good price at this size. These are V30 speeds, so not bleeding-edge, but good enough for most phones, midrange cameras or a game console. Lexar and Patriot are both well-known flash and RAM brands, so should be legit. I've already sourced a few and they came up good in testing.

EDIT: The cards are rated the same speed-wise in all aspects, same Class, same Video speed rating - except the marketing-hype Apple rating 'Application Performance Class'. The Patriot cards are rated A1, the Lexar cards are rated A2. So nominally the Lexar cards may be slightly faster in some environments.
30 replies
Dec 18, 2005
326 posts
7 upvotes
Are these sellers reputable though? They're not sold by Amazon.
Dec 5, 2017
50 posts
120 upvotes
Canadian RMA's are processed in the US, you have to ship it there, there is no canadian RMA
Nov 25, 2018
85 posts
118 upvotes
Be very careful with Amazon products, many fake memory cards. You just can’t tell until it breaks down and warranty tells you that you got a fake card like I did. The fake card dies with all pictures and videos you took with it. I will never buy anything on Amazon unless no other stores carry the product.
Apr 26, 2019
202 posts
198 upvotes
TingN70420 wrote: Be very careful with Amazon products, many fake memory cards. You just can’t tell until it breaks down and warranty tells you that you got a fake card like I did. The fake card dies with all pictures and videos you took with it. I will never buy anything on Amazon unless no other stores carry the product.
Definitely test your card *before* using it.
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2010
2113 posts
1231 upvotes
Toronto
RFDers don’t let other RFDers buy memory cards from third party sellers.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
19084 posts
3726 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
TingN70420 wrote: Be very careful with Amazon products, many fake memory cards. You just can’t tell until it breaks down and warranty tells you that you got a fake card like I did. The fake card dies with all pictures and videos you took with it. I will never buy anything on Amazon unless no other stores carry the product.
A lot of fake cards can be detected using H2TESTW. I test every card I buy, regardless of its origin.

That said, Sandisk is the most common fake card. Lexar is famous and could be faked. A faked Patriot SD card? That's like a counterfeit Hyundai.
- Casual Gastronomist -
Nov 25, 2018
85 posts
118 upvotes
Jucius Maximus wrote: A lot of fake cards can be detected using H2TESTW. I test every card I buy, regardless of its origin.

That said, Sandisk is the most common fake card. Lexar is famous and could be faked. A faked Patriot SD card? That's like a counterfeit Hyundai.
Thanks for your advise but why put yourself at risk at the first place? Amazon is full of cheap and fake products, I wouldn’t brother putting myself into the situation like I used to do when I think I found a “deal”. Now I always tell myself, “cheap is cheap” there are always reasons why a deal is there.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
19084 posts
3726 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
TingN70420 wrote: Thanks for your advise but why put yourself at risk at the first place? Amazon is full of cheap and fake products, I wouldn’t brother putting myself into the situation like I used to do when I think I found a “deal”. Now I always tell myself, “cheap is cheap” there are always reasons why a deal is there.
I don't buy SD Cards from Amazon.
All of my recent cards came from B&H. That said, I still test every card.
- Casual Gastronomist -
Nov 25, 2018
85 posts
118 upvotes
Jucius Maximus wrote: A lot of fake cards can be detected using H2TESTW. I test every card I buy, regardless of its origin.

Haha, good advise but trust me, stop buying from Amazon if you can. Why put yourself at risk for the saving of a few $? BTW, do you know Hyundai is actually a big brand for copycat in China? Not discriminating but fake and rip offs are 99% of China GDP. They make fake eggs, fake soy sauce, fake Nike shoes which are cheapest items. Enjoy the image and article.

http://autotimesnews.com/news/haima-sho ... -shanghai/
Images
  • 2D3F8D0B-B5DF-4CC5-AB07-D425E23AB923.jpeg
Aug 16, 2008
557 posts
403 upvotes
Toronto
This happened to me recently with the Sandisk 128gb from Amazon. Pictures & vids of my newborn granddaugter... all corrupt.
Fido $15/3gb less 50% for 24 months x 3