[Amazon.ca] LG 27GL83A-B 27 inch monitor 144hz IPS 1440p $465.81

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 30th, 2020 2:50 am
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2007
1134 posts
825 upvotes
Portage la Prairie
rabbit wrote: You know, I was thinking about this the other day. I wonder how true this still is. I recently came across a BenQ monitor that someone was selling on Craigslist. TN panel. Checked the specs, and it said 72% NTSC, which is ~95% sRGB. That should be sufficient for most usages.

For the monitor in question, the Dell S2719DGF, Tom's says it has a 100%+ sRGB coverage:
https://www.tomshardware.com/uk/reviews ... 881-3.html

While I wouldn't buy a TN panel myself, since I have criteria that is better suited for VA panels, I think we all need to get the "TN panels have crappy colours" stereotype out of our heads. Other panel types have gotten better, so why not also TN?
Do you think IPS or TN would be better for gaming plus general use?
Aug 17, 2012
411 posts
277 upvotes
COQUITLAM
kwk1 wrote: Do you think IPS or TN would be better for gaming plus general use?
IPS is better for both

TN used to be used because of fast refresh rate/response time but has the worst colors in comparison to IPS and VA panels.

Newer IPS panels now have refresh rate/response time comparable to TN so there's no real advantage for TN except for being the cheapest among three.

IPS also have better viewing angles than TN.

IPS has the best colors of the three but the worst blacks and has IPS glow/back light bleed which makes the blacks worse.

VA has the best blacks but the colors aren't as good as IPS.

As for this monitor, I have it. I hooked up the Switch to it and despite not being native resolution and thus makes it a bit blurry, the colors are so good compared to TN that I'm using it. This monitor also comes color pre-calibrated as well.

Seriously, watch a movie on TN and then watch it again on IPS. You'll be shocked at the difference.
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2007
1134 posts
825 upvotes
Portage la Prairie
VillageIdiot wrote: IPS is better for both

TN used to be used because of fast refresh rate/response time but has the worst colors in comparison to IPS and VA panels.

Newer IPS panels now have refresh rate/response time comparable to TN so there's no real advantage for TN except for being the cheapest among three.

IPS also have better viewing angles than TN.

IPS has the best colors of the three but the worst blacks and has IPS glow/back light bleed which makes the blacks worse.

VA has the best blacks but the colors aren't as good as IPS.

As for this monitor, I have it. I hooked up the Switch to it and despite not being native resolution and thus makes it a bit blurry, the colors are so good compared to TN that I'm using it. This monitor also comes color pre-calibrated as well.

Seriously, watch a movie on TN and then watch it again on IPS. You'll be shocked at the difference.
Thanks for the reply. :)
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2009
5352 posts
2001 upvotes
Debtario
SweetTato wrote: I don't know monitors that much, but why is this considered a good deal? It's only $35 off the listed price... Thinking Face
Because RFD hype and Covid scarcity driving it OOS. It's one of the best bang for your buck gaming monitors out there right now, if you can look past the crappy LG warranty and the panel lottery.
rabbit wrote: ...While I wouldn't buy a TN panel myself, since I have criteria that is better suited for VA panels, I think we all need to get the "TN panels have crappy colours" stereotype out of our heads. Other panel types have gotten better, so why not also TN?
It depends on the panel, I wouldn't call all TN panels crappy in terms of color. Inaccurate yes and that's unacceptable for graphics professionals, but for normal folks over-saturated colors that "pop" can look more pleasing.

Viewing angles are much worse though and that's inherent to the technology. It wasn't an issue with small 17 or 19" 4:3 or laptop LCDs, but with wider screens it's easier to detect the color shift as soon as you look off-center. That said, with IPS you get "IPS glow" and worse black levels. Pick your poison.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"
Oct 10, 2012
773 posts
253 upvotes
UGHH who told me to go up north. totally missed this deal. I been monitoring rfd all week too. :facepalm:
PSN: SUPRSAYN
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2004
1422 posts
175 upvotes
truesaiyan wrote: UGHH who told me to go up north. totally missed this deal. I been monitoring rfd all week too. :facepalm:
??? You can still place a order
Oct 10, 2012
773 posts
253 upvotes
Mystix wrote: ??? You can still place a order
ohh that's bizarre. I clicked the link the first time and it said over 600. now its showing the proper sale price Face With Tears Of Joy
PSN: SUPRSAYN
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2016
1650 posts
1093 upvotes
whenevr I click it shows up as 700+ 122 for shipping lol. does anyone know why??
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2002
1170 posts
200 upvotes
JIB9022 wrote: whenevr I click it shows up as 700+ 122 for shipping lol. does anyone know why??
Sold out for the direct Amazon fulfilled inventory.
Feb 23, 2004
760 posts
57 upvotes
Richmond
Ordered just over a month ago, arrived today without notice. So far do not regret. Replaces an early version of the buggy and somewhat disappointing Asus PB278Q as my main monitor.

The panel is flawless. Control interface is not perfect, but significantly better than my previous LGs. Out of the box colours are kinda strange and oversaturated, but it's easily fixed. Could use another Displayport input and a longer/better designed AC adapter.

Should point out that the computer sees it as a 27GL850.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2016
2946 posts
3248 upvotes
461 now back in stock looks like it ships faster redid my order
Feb 3, 2019
369 posts
493 upvotes
Canada
JIB9022 wrote: whenevr I click it shows up as 700+ 122 for shipping lol. does anyone know why??
It's back instock
Live a little
Aug 29, 2010
320 posts
268 upvotes
Shall I cancel and reorder for $4 discount? Lol it looks like the price fluctuations is based on exchange rate...
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
12690 posts
2084 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
kwk1 wrote: Do you think IPS or TN would be better for gaming plus general use?
No idea, as I don't game. But the reply I've quoted below is the kind of old colour generalization/stereotype that I was talking about. (Now, if you want to recommend IPS over TN because of viewing angles, I won't argue with you. But it should be mentioned that TN's advantage is the low cost.)
VillageIdiot wrote: TN used to be used because of fast refresh rate/response time but has the worst colors in comparison to IPS and VA panels.

Having said that, the panels with the best colour reproduction tend to be IPS (as far as I can tell), but that doesn't mean that all IPS panels have amazing, 100%+ sRGB gamut. There's more than one type of IPS, with some being on the cheap end.

edit// Sorry, OLED panels have pretty awesome colour reproduction, with amazing blacks, as well.
Sep 1, 2011
275 posts
229 upvotes
coquitlam
Just got this monitor for FPS games, much crisper response over the old 60hz...it said there was a 2 month wait for it to ship but the monitor showed up under a week! Went from a 24" TN panel to this one...it's way bigger with the 1440p resolution + screen size (it really does matter), brighter, less hot and much much much more vivid colors. Side by side I want to just turn the older TN panel off it looks so washed out compared to IPS. Spend the extra $ for IPS and 1440p/144hz (if you play fps games)/1 ms (it's probably closer to 3ms GTG though.

It's the best monitor for value. No dead pixels either and black light bleed is pretty minimal to me.
Last edited by RenxoBC on Jul 27th, 2020 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)