Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon Canada] LG 29WK600-W 29" UltraWide 21:9 IPS Monitor HDR10 and FreeSync - $248.39 + tax ( with Ebates) *PRIME ONLY*

[OP]
Jan 6, 2012
180 posts
52 upvotes
Brandon

[Amazon Canada] LG 29WK600-W 29" UltraWide 21:9 IPS Monitor HDR10 and FreeSync - $248.39 + tax ( with Ebates) *PRIME ONLY*

18% off plus an additional 8% cashback with Ebates = $248.39 pretax free shipping.

Pretty good deal on an IPS ultra-wide 21:9 75hz Freesync Monitor.

HDR support and reported to be working well with Nvidia's G-sync now that they have opened support to Freesync/Variable Refresh Rate monitors over Displayport.

Resolution of 2560x1080 is the bare minimum for this size and is essentially the same pixel density as a regular 24/23" 1080p monitor, but way easier to drive at 75hz vs 3440x1440.

EDIT: Looks like it's prime only now...
Last edited by renace on Jan 22nd, 2019 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
"DOORBUSTER" - LENOVOGATE 2014 😥
17 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2004
2209 posts
627 upvotes
lethbridge alberta
I picked this model up at London Drugs a few weeks back for $250. While the monitor is fine for PC work, it has a problem that I had to see for myself that I read in the reviews.

When you play a video, you have to manually change the aspect ratio for every video you watch with something like VLC to completely fill the screen. I am on a NVidia GTX 1050ti and I had the monitor up at 75hz. All of my various video players would only expand out so far leaving large black bars left and right unless I changed it manually. This got annoying fast.

The second problem is that when you stretch out the video to fill the entire screen the video takes on a strange look like the video was shot in very low light. The video looks "grainy". Change the aspect ration back to having blacks bars and the problem disappears. Others have mentioned this issue.

After seeing this for myself, I returned the monitor.
Feb 13, 2011
698 posts
157 upvotes
Vancouver
frankw wrote:
Jan 17th, 2019 1:17 pm
I picked this model up at London Drugs a few weeks back for $250. While the monitor is fine for PC work, it has a problem that I had to see for myself that I read in the reviews.

When you play a video, you have to manually change the aspect ratio for every video you watch with something like VLC to completely fill the screen. I am on a NVidia GTX 1050ti and I had the monitor up at 75hz. All of my various video players would only expand out so far leaving large black bars left and right unless I changed it manually. This got annoying fast.

The second problem is that when you stretch out the video to fill the entire screen the video takes on a strange look like the video was shot in very low light. The video looks "grainy". Change the aspect ration back to having blacks bars and the problem disappears. Others have mentioned this issue.

do you remember if the stand is height adjustable?
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2004
2209 posts
627 upvotes
lethbridge alberta
cnbobby wrote:
Jan 17th, 2019 1:20 pm
do you remember if the stand is height adjustable?
Fixed stand height. Just leans front to back. No left/right swivel.
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2004
2209 posts
627 upvotes
lethbridge alberta
dvdvideo wrote:
Jan 17th, 2019 1:27 pm
Cant u just save aspect ratio and viewing settings in vlc?
Tried that in several programs. It would randomly change back to default for no reason.
Deal Addict
May 13, 2005
1348 posts
140 upvotes
Toronto
frankw wrote:
Jan 17th, 2019 1:17 pm

You are trying to watch a 16:9 movie on a 21:9 monitor? Of course there would be black bars, because the player is keeping the ratio to prevent stretching/cropping. The media player should have an option to override the aspect ratio to fill the black bars.

No idea on the "grainy" issue, but you are stretching out a video, so the player would have to fill in the gaps. I bet if you took the same video in 4k though, it would not look as bad. I'd still advise against messing with the aspect ratios, since that destroys how it was meant to be shown.

This doesn't sound like a specific monitor issue, just an issue with any monitor that does't match the aspect ratio of the media.
Mar 2, 2017
621 posts
416 upvotes
I have this exact monitor, got it from BB last summer for around 240 on sale. I play games on it all the time. I have a MBP and boot camp to play games on steam. I have it connected to a Vega 56 egpu and the resolution is pretty goor. I’ve had very few issues with it other than the fact it needs a reboot every now and then because it doesn’t switch properly between HDMI 1 and 2. TBH it’s happenrd only twice in the last 8 months or so. It’s a freesync so works well with AMD. I’m ordering one more to complete my three monitor setup
Oct 25, 2018
122 posts
123 upvotes
I have the LG 34UM88-P 34" Ultrawide (3440x1440) and I freaking LOVE IT, I play games on it all the time.

After having an Ultrawide I don't think I can go back to a normal screen!
[OP]
Jan 6, 2012
180 posts
52 upvotes
Brandon
Buggy166 wrote:
Jan 17th, 2019 3:41 pm
its $269.99 ?
269.99 - 8% Ebates cashback = $248.39
"DOORBUSTER" - LENOVOGATE 2014 😥
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2003
7509 posts
1186 upvotes
renace wrote:
Jan 17th, 2019 4:39 pm
269.99 - 8% Ebates cashback = $248.39
ah its post ebates, didnt catch that in your first post, quickly clicked on the link instead. lol thanks OP
Jun 10, 2015
28 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Don't really post here much so please go easy on me :)
Just purchased this monitor with 8% ebates.
lowest price on amazon history is 269.99
Apr 20, 2009
162 posts
42 upvotes
Price in title would be helpful. Thanks.
Oct 4, 2016
161 posts
124 upvotes
I think it’s the same at staples today only .. but staples coupons sent out last week

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)