[Amazon.ca] LG LG OLED48CX 48" 4K UHD Smart OLED TV 2020 Model $1839.14

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 24th, 2020 4:39 pm
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2015
2367 posts
1991 upvotes
Canada
ES_Revenge wrote: Oh I know why it is, that's not what I'm talking about. Do you think the average Joe or Jane and their kids tha walks into store give a shit why it's "supposed to be" more expensive? If you said yes, then I'd like some of what you're on :lol: All people are going to see, is a smaller TV at a higher price and be like, "why would I buy that?" And even the salesperson would have to say, "yeah it doesn't really make any sense for most people." The only things that would come into play here is if you were both super OLED fanboy and also had strict size constraints at the same time; that or, you're a computer nerd with money to spend. Apart from that nobody gives a damn that the 48" is cut differently or is edge cut or bowl cut or crinkle cut? LOL they have not a care in the world for that.

In an age where 65" is considered small for a TV; many people going for 75"+ TVs, and people in general not buying anything less than 55" at any time for a main TV, nobody is gonna give this a secondly look except for the aforementioned niches. People buying bedroom, third room, etc. TVs are also usually not going to be spending OLED money on them (unless again they are super fanboys or have money to burn), so a smaller OLED at this price makes little market sense. What I mean is, OLEDs are still expensive in relative terms but they are still quite acceptable for many for primary/main-room TVs, sure. But few people buy 48" main room TVs these days and few are going to spend this money on additional-room TVs (they could but it's not a high number of people in relative terms).
"Lots" is a nice weasel word but it is not quantitative or even relative to anything. Lots compared to what? People buying LCD monitors? LOL as. if.

It's possible but doubtful, the computer nerds with $2k to spend on a monitor and the fanboys with limited space, are going to hold up the market on this TV for very long. If they can get the cost down via other ways then perhaps it'll gain some sales numbers but for now they're not going to sell many relative to the other models.

Linus may make it out to be the end all and be all of monitors but this is a guy whining about how a 1440p monitor was "slumming it" and only marginally acceptable for "productivity" :lol: Meanwhile probably 80% of the working world is using 20-24" 1080p monitors because companies are not typically spending a thousand bucks plus per employee on monitors...and those people are all still productive enough to remain employed.
Then you dont understand the market, lol
To the moon
Deal Guru
Feb 19, 2008
14268 posts
4760 upvotes
London
redflagdealsguy wrote: Incredible how many fluff pieces are out there for the 48" when the 55" experience is assuredly better in multiple domains, for equal or less monies.

It seems like manufacturers and the tech media are trying to justify this odd sized niche.

Just strange.
I mean... It actually makes total sense that it would cost more. It's the same reason they cost is absurdly disproportionate for the 77" models
Jan 25, 2007
334 posts
146 upvotes
Whitby
I got one of these just over a week ago from Visions Whitby to go with my RTX3080 and it's absolutely amazing. I'll admit that it bugs me that I could probably get a 55" for the same if not cheaper than what I paid, but I tried the 55" for a few weeks and it was far too big for my small office. I wall mounted it and moved my desk back as far as possible and it was still too overwhelming for me and looked kind of stupid imo. The 48" is perfect and much better for productivity in my setup.

This is a niche size that is geared towards people with smaller spaces (more so overseas) and PC gamers. If you don't fall into any of these categories then get the 55" and be happy.

Still working on cable management and need to get a proper chair (waiting for Secret Labs to have a sale), but loving my setup so far.
20201017_182047.jpg
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
28009 posts
8448 upvotes
MichaelSun wrote: I am not saying you are wrong.
The cost of 48inch OLED is expensive than the 55inch is a fact. It is not a marketing strategy.

I don't know why "computer nerds" couldn't have $2k to spend on a monitor.
Of course anyone could have $2k to spend on a monitor, but how many people have that much money to spend on a monitor? If we were to poll RFD to see how many people had a monitor that was even $1k+, what do you think the numbers would look like compared to those that have $100-200 monitors? Not only that most people don't even have desktop computers anymore so the number of $0 monitors (i.e. no separate monitor at all) would probably trump even those numbers. Not to mention all the people that couldn't care less about a thread like that :lol: The numbers of $2k monitors will only look additionally inflated on a relative basis from the small numbers they already are 'cause more people who buy monitors like that would be interested in bragging about it and thus vote on the thread :lol:

Then we have to consider even if someone had $2k to spend on a monitor, what are the chances they're gonna do that? Lemme see do I want to spend nerd money on a monitor or you know, use that money for other stuff? Personally I ain't spending even $500 on a monitor, can tell you that much even though I could reasonably buy a $2k monitor I have lots of other things to spend money on. I have a TV in pretty every bedroom in my house (plus den) yet I'm not gonna spend $2k on 48" TVs for those rooms. Well I mean that's a lie because one room has a 46" that cost >$2k but that was like 12+ years ago, TVs don't cost nearly what they used to. What I mean is I'm not gonna spend that money in this day and age and don't know/haven't met many that would. Over the years since "flat panels" have become mainstream I've probably spent >$10k on TVs and monitors, yet I still see no value in this thing.

As for monitors, meh I'll stick with using a 43" LCD for that, cost me like $350 for my TCL 5. It is the same as an OLED? No but it ain't gonna burn/degrade and, for me, it's probably 85% as good while being 17% the money.

My point is not if some people will buy it. Sure some people will buy it. Those some people are not necessarily enough to keep them making it though. If you really want one of these you should probably get one while you can. Of course it's also possible when it does get discontinued it gets cleared out for $1k so you'll feel like a sucker if that happens. Also possible they start being able to produce them cheaper, in which case you'll still feel like sucker you bought one when it was $2k :P
Aug 7, 2019
96 posts
189 upvotes
vancouver
I have a 55C8 as main TV but I'd be willing to pay 3k for a 32" or smaller for a good OLED for my desk.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
28009 posts
8448 upvotes
mehguy5 wrote: You're right. It's certainly not lots in that sense. But it is BY FAR the cheapest and best bang-for-your-buck 4k HDR GAMING monitor. In that comparison we have:
- Acer Predator X27 Pbmiphzx at $2,199.99
- Acer Predator X35 bmiphzx at $3,308.98
- ASUS ROG Swift PG35VQ at $3,399.99
- ASUS ROG Swift PG43UQ at $1,999.99
etc...

The only comparable gaming monitors in price and specs are the Samsung QLED Gaming Monitors but a quick search online shows how they are having massive QC issues which may not be fixed in the near future/ever and they still cost around $1,500.
A fair point but with more and more TVs supporting general more basic gaming features like VRR, and more upcoming models even having HFR support with 2.1, there's surely a lot more alternatives as well. 2020 was a pretty crap year for TVs but everyone expected these features this year...they didn't come in that strongly this year for what should be obvious reasons but next year most likely "cheap TVs", some costing 1/4 of those fancy monitors you suggest, will have features enough for most gamers for 1/4 the price...and probably be larger TVs too.

You're right though if those are comparable prices, gamers may flock to this TV for a short time, but once they see other LCDs are available with the same/better features for a fraction, where do you think they'll go then?
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2010
1644 posts
626 upvotes
Montreal
My god idk why people who don't understand the deal have to spew their ignorance. Go to the datacolor calibrator deal thread to ask why you would spend 100$ to calibrate your DLP TV for your PS3 and leave us alone
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
28009 posts
8448 upvotes
Redsanta wrote: Then you dont understand the market, lol
LOL what? No you don't understand the market! Here's something: I'm gonna stop posting on this thread after this post because my posts alone saying this isn't a great value have already taken up about half of the thread, right?

So now let this thread ride out and then see how many views, posts, and upvotes it gets to any one of like 50 other threads out there about an actual deal on a TCL or Hisense TV. For real, let's see how this thread compares to the last thread on the 2018 6-series which is still selling like mad, today in 2020 and people can't get them before they keep going OOS. That's what you call a product that sells, this is what you call a niche product. It will sell very few but the people that buy it will fanboy hard on it, surely. However in the end even if they make 10 posts each, it still won't compare to the numbers on a cheap TCL or Hisense thread. And yes people are buying those TVs to game on as well because as said not every "gamer" is spending $2-4k on monitors. Certainly not all the teenagers lusting after financing deals on Series X and PS5, that's for sure. I'm sure that people that need to have interest free monthly payments on something that's all of like $600 are buyers of $2k 48" TVs too, eh? But I don't understand the market...makes sense.

Heck wait a minute let's take cheap LCDs out the equation because someone is gonna say "waaah that's crappy LCD and OLED is bestest evar so you can't compare". Fine. Compare it to one of the LG OLED threads for the larger models, and see how it does against those threads too ;)
redflagdealsguy wrote: Incredible how many fluff pieces are out there for the 48" when the 55" experience is assuredly better in multiple domains, for equal or less monies.

It seems like manufacturers and the tech media are trying to justify this odd sized niche.

Just strange.
Indeed, but it seems that's the case with a lot of things in the "YouTube generation". Giving "influencers" free products is at least one way to accomplish this kind of hype. Regardless of that hype though, it's not going to sell that well given the price. It may well get people that were otherwise going to pay $2k for a monitor to pay attention and skip the monitor and buy this, sure; but that wasn't a huge number of people to begin with.
Nov 18, 2017
892 posts
565 upvotes
Is there much of a diff between CX and BX?
Oct 10, 2010
44 posts
52 upvotes
Montreal
redflagdealsguy wrote: Arguably, the maximum benefit from a monitor that size is 6x quadrants of screen real estate, simulating six separate monitors.

At 48", each of the 6 quadrants is too small, while at 55" they're just right.

55" is also the maximum comfortable size for 4K from 3' to 4' away. Go higher, and you'll want 8K.
Seating 4' away from a 55" translates into 55 degree viewing angle... which means that large chunk of the TV sides are outside the human field of view of 45 degree (yes humans can see up to 120 degree but everything outside the FOV is blurry)... 3' is much worse at it translates into 70 degree viewing angle. Furthermore, individual pixels can be distinguished from <= 3.25ft away, which would be undesirable.

BTW, THX has developed standards based on human vision and recommends a seating distance of 5.5ft for a 55" (which provides a viewing angle of 40 degree).

I personally aim for a viewing angle of 45 degree and I seat 4.25ft away from my 48" CX. I had a 55" OLED at the same distance and MUCH prefer my new 48".
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
17097 posts
19033 upvotes
ES_Revenge wrote: Indeed, but it seems that's the case with a lot of things in the "YouTube generation". Giving "influencers" free products is at least one way to accomplish this kind of hype. Regardless of that hype though, it's not going to sell that well given the price. It may well get people that were otherwise going to pay $2k for a monitor to pay attention and skip the monitor and buy this, sure; but that wasn't a huge number of people to begin with.
You're correct. It's more expensive, smaller, not in any way more advanced nor subject to higher QA. Manfacturers are forced to oddly stamp out this size, adding to the production cost. It's just a aberration in my view.

Here's a comprehensive appraisal of the 55" value proposition:
- Best Production Economies of Almost Any Panel Size (Cheapest Per Square Inch)
- Most Amenable to (6x) Split Screen (18.4" Diag. Screen Per Split)
- Most Common Large TV Size
- Most Production Experience = Fewest Idiosyncratic Production Faults
- Visually Comfortable at 3' to 4' Viewing Distance
- Common / No Stock Issues
- Lots of Competition / Many Alternatives
- Reduced Eye Strain on Good Panels (Subject to Viewing Distance)

I'm convinced many folks are headed this way. In this very business park, many of the businesses have thrown caution to the wind and connected reasonable 4K TVs as Monitors at the 43" and 55" size. I've never brought up the conversation, though I suspect the grape vine transmitted the message (employees talk). Middle aged men here have flocked to TV-Monitors in the last 18 to 24 months.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
17097 posts
19033 upvotes
radXge wrote: Seating 4' away from a 55" translates into 55 degree viewing angle... which means that large chunk of the TV sides are outside the human field of view of 45 degree (yes humans can see up to 120 degree but everything outside the FOV is blurry)... 3' is much worse at it translates into 70 degree viewing angle. Furthermore, individual pixels can be distinguished from <= 3.25ft away, which would be undesirable.

BTW, THX has developed standards based on human vision and recommends a seating distance of 5.5ft for a 55" (which provides a viewing angle of 40 degree).

I personally aim for a viewing angle of 45 degree and I seat 4.25ft away from my 48" CX. I had a 55" OLED at the same distance and MUCH prefer my new 48".
Good thoughts, but you're presuming I don't scan with my eyes. When I used to engage in resource management, I had multiple monitors and my eyes would scan accordingly, depending on the domain of interest. I do the same here. Right now, I'm responding to you in the top-right quadrant. I have a calculator in the top middle quadrant, a spreadsheet to it's left, a VM below that, and two subject-matter specific browser windows in the bottom middle and right quadrants.

My eyes don't need to capture all this information from a fixed position, but the beauty here is that I avoid flipping windows annoyingly and losing my place. It's been such a benefit, that I find working on smaller monitors annoying now.

Regarding gaming, the reason why the 55" experience is superior is BECAUSE it captures the high resolution and low resolution field of view, just like your eyes capture reality around you. This allows me to become more absorbed in the game experience. Yes, my eyes may travel on occasion, depending on game and genre, but I'm fine with this when it's context appropriate (less with shooters, more with RTS). I tried a shooter on here, loved it, but I'm recommending folks adjust the fish-eye field of view settings in-game, suited to their particular preference.
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2015
2367 posts
1991 upvotes
Canada
ES_Revenge wrote: LOL what? No you don't understand the market! Here's something: I'm gonna stop posting on this thread after this post because my posts alone saying this isn't a great value have already taken up about half of the thread, right?

So now let this thread ride out and then see how many views, posts, and upvotes it gets to any one of like 50 other threads out there about an actual deal on a TCL or Hisense TV. For real, let's see how this thread compares to the last thread on the 2018 6-series which is still selling like mad, today in 2020 and people can't get them before they keep going OOS. That's what you call a product that sells, this is what you call a niche product. It will sell very few but the people that buy it will fanboy hard on it, surely. However in the end even if they make 10 posts each, it still won't compare to the numbers on a cheap TCL or Hisense thread. And yes people are buying those TVs to game on as well because as said not every "gamer" is spending $2-4k on monitors. Certainly not all the teenagers lusting after financing deals on Series X and PS5, that's for sure. I'm sure that people that need to have interest free monthly payments on something that's all of like $600 are buyers of $2k 48" TVs too, eh? But I don't understand the market...makes sense.

Heck wait a minute let's take cheap LCDs out the equation because someone is gonna say "waaah that's crappy LCD and OLED is bestest evar so you can't compare". Fine. Compare it to one of the LG OLED threads for the larger models, and see how it does against those threads too ;)

Indeed, but it seems that's the case with a lot of things in the "YouTube generation". Giving "influencers" free products is at least one way to accomplish this kind of hype. Regardless of that hype though, it's not going to sell that well given the price. It may well get people that were otherwise going to pay $2k for a monitor to pay attention and skip the monitor and buy this, sure; but that wasn't a huge number of people to begin with.
Value is relative to each person. Jeff bezos might find buggati cheap like buying a coffee, but the avergae Joe might find BMW to be luxury and expensive. Are there markets for them?

One can find Tsla stock to be cheap, while another might find VW stock to be cheap. So whats cheap?

Its what people want to pay for them. Thats market.
Last edited by Redsanta on Oct 24th, 2020 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
To the moon
Oct 10, 2010
44 posts
52 upvotes
Montreal
Not arguing with your personal taste (whatever suits you man!) but there are standards regarding distance vs size vs resolution that reflect human biology.
My point is that your preference is outside the studied standards and could mislead folks here that are shopping for a new TV.
Sep 4, 2017
230 posts
242 upvotes
Two things that could be an issue with using one of these (or any OLED TV) as a monitor:

1) It has a WRGB pixel structure, so text might not look quite as sharp as on a standard RGB display, and

2) You're probably going to have a lot of static UI elements on your desktop, which will eventually lead to burn in
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2012
1100 posts
762 upvotes
Its only $12 bucks more after taxes in BC at Topchoice Electronics website if someone needs it right away.

Mine is coming in next week. 2000+5%GST = $2100.

From Amazon it was 1840 + 25 EHF + 12% tax= $2088

I want to make sure I have it ready before watch dogs legion, cyberpunk and next gen consoles arrive.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 1, 2006
5197 posts
439 upvotes
Why are Hot Deal threads always full of trolls forcing their opinions on alternatives? If you prefer a different size or a different price then move on, this thread is not for you.

OP thanks, great deal considering its selling for 1999 everywhere else and is sold out. I got mine last week and between my experience with this panel, the 38GL950 and the G9 - CX for gaming all the way!
C:\RFD>ih8lowballers.bat_