[Amazon.ca] LG LG OLED48CX 48" 4K UHD Smart OLED TV 2020 Model $1839.14

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 24th, 2020 4:39 pm
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2017
1844 posts
1523 upvotes
Waterloo
superchuko wrote: Two things that could be an issue with using one of these (or any OLED TV) as a monitor:

1) It has a WRGB pixel structure, so text might not look quite as sharp as on a standard RGB display, and

2) You're probably going to have a lot of static UI elements on your desktop, which will eventually lead to burn in
remove desktop icons, auto hide task bar, set wallaper to change every 30s.
Sep 4, 2017
232 posts
247 upvotes
Sicklyslick wrote: remove desktop icons, auto hide task bar, set wallaper to change every 30s.
You're still gonna have to worry about any program you frequently use that might have static UI elements, like a browser, game, audio/video editing software
Dec 8, 2009
587 posts
341 upvotes
Edmonton
Some other things people may not think about:

*OLED tv's are much more reflective and bigger than a typical monitor, so if your going to have a backlit keyboard or lamp nearby it's going to cause massive reflections.

*Using a 48" display at 2-3 feet can cause neck pain unless you only use the center part of the screen. And unless you use 100% scaling your not going to have much more screen real estate than a 1440p monitor (it's the same at 150% scaling).

*Since it's an OLED display your going to want to move any windows you have around periodically, never have them in the same position all the time so you can reduce burn-in.

*You're going to have to have your tv remote nearby to change brightness and whatnot, which may or may not be annoying depending on what you can tolerate.

*the ppi is quite a bit lower than a typical monitor and it uses WRGB pixels. Things like text simply won't look as sharp.

*The display will likely not be as uniform as a typical monitor in terms of brightness, color temperature, and gray/white uniformity simply because it's such a large display.

I tried using a 50" plasma as a monitor for 6 months, a 49" Sony X900F for a year, and an LG C9 as a monitor for a month. Afterwards I bought a 34" ultrawide and never went back.

Using a TV as a monitor has upsides like HDR, better contrast, etc. but also plenty of downsides. I think what's best for you all comes down to personal preference.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
17174 posts
19126 upvotes
Around all the FUD'ing about OLED as Monitors there is one key point I want to remind people.

With the perfect blacks and pixel level lighting, eye strain is almost non-existent on the LG OLEDs used as monitors. I'm suggesting eye strain may even be reduced compared to quality IPS and QLED monitors (not TV-Monitors, actual monitors).

It's a surprising relief for the orbs.

An OLED Brightness level of 50 is sufficient for many PC Monitor users during Productivity tasks.
Jan 25, 2007
334 posts
147 upvotes
Whitby
redflagdealsguy wrote: God save the Queen. Beautiful setup.

London is lost, but I like the sentiment.

What a great little workstation.
Thanks man. It's actually a live wallpaper to help reduce the potential for burn-in. I have a pile of them that I switch up every once and a while.

It's not perfect, but for me the OLED experience works best. I tried the Samsung 49RG90 and wasn't impressed with the image quality, so went this route.