Hot Deals

[Amazon Canada] LG SK10Y 5.1.2 Channel Hi-Res Audio Sound Bar with Dolby Atmos (2018), 649.98$

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 19th, 2019 1:41 am
[OP]
Mar 2, 2011
19 posts
4 upvotes
Montreal

[Amazon Canada] LG SK10Y 5.1.2 Channel Hi-Res Audio Sound Bar with Dolby Atmos (2018), 649.98$

First post, go easy on me

i believe this is a warm/hot deal for those who are interested in a soundbar.
don't forget ebates.

here's a little review:
Last edited by Mars2012 on Jun 16th, 2019 10:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: fixed link
14 replies
Feb 19, 2018
68 posts
34 upvotes
Montréal, QC
Real price is $799, and not $1300.

On camel
Nov 23, 2017
691 posts
1393 upvotes
Maybe it’s because I’ve never heard any of these before (high end sound bars), or that I don’t put much stock into sound bars in general. But I’d like to know where some of these companies get off thinking they can charge $700+ for a sound bar.

Like Sonos charging $750 for a sub that compliments a $600 bar is crazy. Other than the wireless capabilities what advantages do these have over a standard HT set up?
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2015
1302 posts
1216 upvotes
Alberta
kimwoobingsu wrote:
Jun 16th, 2019 10:23 am
Maybe it’s because I’ve never heard any of these before (high end sound bars), or that I don’t put much stock into sound bars in general. But I’d like to know where some of these companies get off thinking they can charge $700+ for a sound bar.

Like Sonos charging $750 for a sub that compliments a $600 bar is crazy. Other than the wireless capabilities what advantages do these have over a standard HT set up?
You can spend much more on a high quality sound bar. I have a older yamaha YSP-5100 in my bedroom that I think I paid around $2500 back when this was the best, and the newer YSP-5600 sells for north of $2k too.
Nov 23, 2017
691 posts
1393 upvotes
Lush78 wrote:
Jun 16th, 2019 10:53 am
You can spend much more on a high quality sound bar. I have a older yamaha YSP-5100 in my bedroom that I think I paid around $2500 back when this was the best, and the newer YSP-5600 sells for north of $2k too.
Not doubting that some sell for more.
But sound quality wise, what I am asking is if you hit a point where you start to see diminishing returns, or do these scale as well as a traditional HT set up? I would imagine a single unit (even though it may have multiple speakers) with super fancy DSP will not sound as good as a traditional HT set up.

I’d imagine if you have $2k to spend on a sound bar, chances are you have listened to a traditional system that costs more. Essentially what I am asking is: can this be better than a 5.1 set up of comparable price?
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2015
1302 posts
1216 upvotes
Alberta
kimwoobingsu wrote:
Jun 16th, 2019 8:54 pm
Not doubting that some sell for more.
But sound quality wise, what I am asking is if you hit a point where you start to see diminishing returns, or do these scale as well as a traditional HT set up? I would imagine a single unit (even though it may have multiple speakers) with super fancy DSP will not sound as good as a traditional HT set up.

I’d imagine if you have $2k to spend on a sound bar, chances are you have listened to a traditional system that costs more. Essentially what I am asking is: can this be better than a 5.1 set up of comparable price?
I have a reference Atmos system with JM Labs speakers, so of course it sounds exponentially better than any soundbar. But I'll admit, that Yamaha sound projector sounds pretty great in my bedroom and offers some surprising surround effects.
Jan 17, 2009
988 posts
756 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
kimwoobingsu wrote:

It's what you compare it to and your priorities (space vs quality vs $).

A lot of people in condos don't want to dedicate the space to big speakers and a receiver (being honest it is a large space commitment), but still don't want to listen to crap built in audio, so soundbars fit that niche perfectly. Then factor in that for some of these people price is not a deterrent if they think it's worth it and you get the high priced ones.
Nov 23, 2017
691 posts
1393 upvotes
Ecsta wrote:
Jun 17th, 2019 6:53 pm
It's what you compare it to and your priorities (space vs quality vs $).

A lot of people in condos don't want to dedicate the space to big speakers and a receiver (being honest it is a large space commitment), but still don't want to listen to crap built in audio, so soundbars fit that niche perfectly. Then factor in that for some of these people price is not a deterrent if they think it's worth it and you get the high priced ones.
I have always thought of soundbars as having poor quality sound, and being way too dependent on DSP to get the job done.

I get that if you are in a condo or something, a sound bar or a pair of bookshelves would probably be all you could fit. Having just put a deposit on a new condo I ended up ordering a pair of KEF- LS50w myself after seeing my friend’s sub $2000 deal on them. Since sound bars were not on my radar I didn’t think that sound bars could cost $2000+ or were even things that people who were passionate about audio even bought. I guess they make ‘em fancy now.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
6008 posts
761 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
kimwoobingsu wrote:

I think the acoustics of the soundbar is inherently inferior simply due to physics, so a lot of markup is for the technology. Usually the higher-end soundbars are just more advanced with more features (HD-Audio processing, HDMI 2.0a, pass-through, ATMOS, streaming services, etc). Compare that to entry level ones that only has digital optical/coax input.

Sonos is expensive because of their proprietary tech mostly. I don't put it with the "normal" soundbars and basically in its own category.
Lush78 wrote:
Jun 16th, 2019 10:53 am
Yamaha Sound Projectors is in another class IMO. They are expensive because of the speaker arrays that seems to actually works in providing discrete surround channels.
There's a sucker born every minute.
Jan 5, 2017
34 posts
14 upvotes
That’s the thing.

Higher priced sound bars are higher priced because the integrate either more features or a wider speaker array. Atmos certified sound bars need to have sound coming from above so the soundbar will likely have a bunch of speakers facing the listener and some facing the ceiling for that three dimensional effect. Most cheap sound bars are just 2 channel systems. 2.1 if a sub is included or integrated into the bar itself.

Yes space is limited in a soundbar, but higher priced ones can also double as receivers for inputs. Space conscience users or people who simply don’t want to spend the time to properly set up a home theatre unit will gravitate to this simply because they are convenient and more space saving.

It’s all about priorities. Ease of use and setup has a cost too.
Sep 7, 2014
656 posts
686 upvotes
Gud Ol' Ontariuh Boy
I just want a soundbar with HDCP 2.2/HDR/4K passthrough with at least three HDMI In for less than a grand, damn it!
Deal Addict
Mar 6, 2010
1832 posts
775 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks op. Got pm at Bestbuy for 661 tax in.
Oct 12, 2008
908 posts
1501 upvotes
Markham
kimwoobingsu wrote:
Sonos isn't really comparable to most soundbars...

If you happen to want a soundbar for whatever reason (space constraints, speakers for your 2nd, 3rd, 4th.. etc. wall mounted TV, spousal approval etc.), being able to easily use it as a speaker when TV isn't on is pretty attractive. Not everyone wants to mess with bluebooth just to play some music on their TV speaker, and you can't really play music in every room in sync without something like Sonos.
Sep 3, 2010
115 posts
94 upvotes
Kanlee wrote:
Jun 18th, 2019 11:20 am
That’s the thing.

Higher priced sound bars are higher priced because the integrate either more features or a wider speaker array. Atmos certified sound bars need to have sound coming from above so the soundbar will likely have a bunch of speakers facing the listener and some facing the ceiling for that three dimensional effect. Most cheap sound bars are just 2 channel systems. 2.1 if a sub is included or integrated into the bar itself.

Yes space is limited in a soundbar, but higher priced ones can also double as receivers for inputs. Space conscience users or people who simply don’t want to spend the time to properly set up a home theatre unit will gravitate to this simply because they are convenient and more space saving.

It’s all about priorities. Ease of use and setup has a cost too.
Yes, "ease of use and setup" is THE main reason why soundbar is getting more and more popular. For most regular people who has never done any serious speaker setup, they might never know how "inferior" soundbar is compared to a proper receiver + 2 standing speaker. BUT, they will firstly acknowledge how "complicated" traditional receiver + 2 speaker/5.1 speaker setup is.