Expired Hot Deals

Amazon.ca

LG UltraGear 34GP83A-B 34 Inch 21:9 Curved QHD (3440 x 1440) 1ms Nano IPS Gaming Monitor with 160Hz and G-SYNC - $799.99

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 3rd, 2022 9:41 pm
[OP]
Jun 19, 2019
45 posts
26 upvotes
Seems like the USB C issue isn't a big one for my Mac can just get a DP to USB C. Wish this monitor had speakers!
Sep 16, 2005
783 posts
96 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Have this. Amazing monitor. Upsetting it dropped so much in price!
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2007
3384 posts
221 upvotes
Toronto
nezura wrote: Have this. Amazing monitor. Upsetting it dropped so much in price!
seriously....
Mar 10, 2016
45 posts
10 upvotes
GTA
Is the Amazon warranty worth getting for this monitor or is it a waste? The reason I'm asking is that LG only offers a one year warranty.
[OP]
Jun 19, 2019
45 posts
26 upvotes
jayislike wrote: Is the Amazon warranty worth getting for this monitor or is it a waste? The reason I'm asking is that LG only offers a one year warranty.
That company doesn't seem to have the best reviews from what I've seen.
Mar 21, 2013
410 posts
338 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
coffeebean wrote: Yuck, IPS.

What panels do people think goes into LCD TVs that have to compete in a much larger but competitive market? HINT: It's not IPS
You mean VA panels, like for instance, the ones people are saying are worse in comparison to the IPS?

Hmm
Deal Addict
May 18, 2007
1754 posts
876 upvotes
knoxyouout wrote: You mean VA panels, like for instance, the ones people are saying are worse in comparison to the IPS?

Hmm
There's a reason companies hire experts to determine the best image quality panel tech and came to the conclusion that VA is the best in a market with fierce competition, not random people's word of mouth

In the list of countless TVs manufactured, it's clear how minor the percentage are IPS, especially among the hi-end models

https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/ips-led-vs-va-lcd
:arrowl: Thanks if Helped! :D

Loser Quote:
Nubby666 wrote: Soy made my buddy cut off his dangus and start wearing spandex running one piece suits, you heard it here first, folks!!! Stay away!!!
Mar 21, 2013
410 posts
338 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
coffeebean wrote: There's a reason companies hire experts to determine the best image quality panel tech and came to the conclusion that VA is the best in a market with fierce competition, not random people's word of mouth

In the list of countless TVs manufactured, it's clear how minor the percentage are IPS, especially among the hi-end models

https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/ips-led-vs-va-lcd
From your own link " viewing angle of VA-type TVs is also problematic when the TV is used as a PC monitor from up close since the edges of the display look washed out."

Monitors and tvs have different use cases, so none of it is relevant.
Sep 23, 2010
172 posts
80 upvotes
Vancouver
Teioh wrote: The S3422DWG is a VA panel and I found the smearing on it was really bad (even when compared to other VA panels) to the point where I returned it. The few extra hundred for IPS is worth it IMO, especially if you keep your monitors for a long time.

Ended up going with an AW3821DW because I really value the extra vertical pixels.
Perhaps you got a dud? Ii also have the same panel. While VA is subject to smearing, IPS glow is also very annoying and has a low contrast ratio. It really depends on the person. I wouldnt game in a dark room and dark games with an IPS.

But yes I would agree IPS is better but not 300$ better in this case for me personally.

I have a LG IPS 27UL650 and when i compare side by side with the S3422DWG the colors do pop on the IPS.
Sep 23, 2010
172 posts
80 upvotes
Vancouver
I like my Dell, and 799 is a big difference from 499. I dont doubt that the LG is better but not almost at double the price.
Dec 6, 2009
132 posts
33 upvotes
I recently bought the LG 32GP83B-B for a steal, at $349 from BestBuy. This ultrawide is a decent deal, but it's not worth it for me at twice the price I paid.

Decent value for a very good IPS ultrawide.

Cheers.
Current: Legion 7 Gen 6 (5900HX, 3080, 32GB, 2TB), LG 32GP83B-B, S21, S10 Plus 512gb, IPAD Pro 12.9 (2020), IPAD Pro 12.9 M1 (2021)
Retired: Lenovo Y510P, Samsung S7 32gb, Nexus 5 32gb, Nexus 4 16gb, Nexus 7 32gb
Deal Addict
May 18, 2007
1754 posts
876 upvotes
knoxyouout wrote: From your own link " viewing angle of VA-type TVs is also problematic when the TV is used as a PC monitor from up close since the edges of the display look washed out."

Monitors and tvs have different use cases, so none of it is relevant.
If you're buying a 34" monitor, you aren't exactly sitting close to the LCD, unless you want to incur unecessary eye strain that could lead to myopia from the eye lens being elongated all the time, in order to focus on short distances.

I'm about 90cm away from my 27"
:arrowl: Thanks if Helped! :D

Loser Quote:
Nubby666 wrote: Soy made my buddy cut off his dangus and start wearing spandex running one piece suits, you heard it here first, folks!!! Stay away!!!
May 12, 2012
153 posts
126 upvotes
Chatham
Wallzii wrote: That's a fair point. You could always purchase a DP switch, but that's just another incurred cost.
I have thought about that method, but then:
-DP switch
-make sure you have less than 1m of 1.4 dp cable (as longer cables will introduce flickering)
-thunderport 4 to 1.4 dp
-and after all of that, i still need to add more cables for MAC power, USB keyboard+mouse which then cable management is never appealing to eye
-Oh and there is lots of then in between what can go wrong at any point.

Thats why i think dedicated port is much much better solution.
Oct 6, 2017
41 posts
63 upvotes
BC
An excellent monitor! I've had this for over 6 months and no regrets.
Aug 28, 2014
499 posts
745 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
nezura wrote: Have this. Amazing monitor. Upsetting it dropped so much in price!
If you're upset about a tech product dropping in price, just wait until you find out what happens to your car once you drive off the lot :P