[Amazon Canada] LifeStraw Personal Water Filter - $16.72

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 23rd, 2019 8:12 pm
[OP]
May 28, 2011
503 posts
403 upvotes

[Amazon Canada] LifeStraw Personal Water Filter - $16.72

Good gift for any hikers / campers, good price compared to it's regular $25.99 price, lowest price since around Prime Day in July. I'm buying a few as gifts.
35 replies
Aug 24, 2015
231 posts
679 upvotes
AB
Imo this item is really not practical for hiking or camping. The fact that you have to crouch down and literally suck the water out of the source (as opposed to any sort of gravity filter or pump) is not worth the inconvenience. I would say this is more a novelty item than anything for outdoor use.
[OP]
May 28, 2011
503 posts
403 upvotes
puglife644 wrote:
Dec 15th, 2019 6:37 pm
Imo this item is really not practical for hiking or camping. The fact that you have to crouch down and literally suck the water out of the source (as opposed to any sort of gravity filter or pump) is not worth the inconvenience. I would say this is more a novelty item than anything for outdoor use.
I've used it while camping, obv woudn't use it as primary water source but it's good to have on longer hikes and much more portable than the options you mentioned.
Deal Addict
May 13, 2005
1459 posts
282 upvotes
Toronto
I never tried, but personally, I think the Sawyer filter looks more practical, as it comes with a drinking pouch.

The Lifestraw looks like you would have to drink it directly out of the source.
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2013
1527 posts
849 upvotes
condo
puglife644 wrote:
Dec 15th, 2019 6:37 pm
DarkReaper wrote:
Dec 15th, 2019 6:46 pm
I never tried, but personally, I think the Sawyer filter looks more practical, as it comes with a drinking pouch.

The Lifestraw looks like you would have to drink it directly out of the source.
Why not just bring a bottle to scoup up the water and then use the straw??? Upside-down Face Then you're not constrained to drinking only from 'the source'... And the bottle can have a cap too Winking Face
Oct 16, 2019
2 posts
10 upvotes
sunnysidesolutions
Dec 15th, 2019 11:02 pm

Can't you just use a Brita straw filter, which are much cheaper
https://www.amazon.ca/Brita-Water-Bottl ... B078X1D4YF
Totally different products. Brita is for safe / clean / tap water to improve taste. Lifestraw is to filter unsafe water from lakes, rivers, puddles that might have bacteria and parasites (things like giardia). It's useful for camping / extended hikes / survival kits when you might need to ensure temporary safe emergency hydration.
Apr 14, 2017
582 posts
500 upvotes
PoodleDetangler wrote:
Dec 15th, 2019 11:10 pm
Totally different products. Brita is for safe / clean / tap water to improve taste. Lifestraw is to filter unsafe water from lakes, rivers, puddles that might have bacteria and parasites (things like giardia). It's useful for camping / extended hikes / survival kits when you might need to ensure temporary safe emergency hydration.
Neither removes chemical contamination though.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2007
1107 posts
180 upvotes
Calgary
isn't the sawyer mini better?

you can attach the sawyer to the threads of most plastic bottles, or you can attach it to your hydration pack. and from what I've read, the sawyer has better flow rates than the lifestraw.
Jul 13, 2007
852 posts
389 upvotes
Toronto
pny128 wrote:
Dec 15th, 2019 11:20 pm
Well, depends on the contamination, no? The Britas are activated carbon which will retain a lot of things so you don't drink them.

What are you going to remove chemical contamination with besides distilling?
Are you sure you wish to carry out this operation? You betcha.
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2011
4931 posts
1355 upvotes
Pretty entertaining. Keep going, dont mind me.
Deal Guru
Jan 27, 2006
11890 posts
5070 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Pratzy wrote:
Dec 15th, 2019 11:03 pm
I'd say LifeStraw has the better brand and makes them more giftable, due to instant brand recognition. I personally haven't tried the Brita ones, but they do seem to have good reviews as well.
For the average person, I would think that the Brita name brand is more recognizable than Lifestraw as Brita is everywhere with their filtered water jugs. However, the Lifestraw probably does a better job in filtering as Britas are really 'cosmetic' water filters in that they remove certain odours and taste from already safe water while a Lifestraw will filter much more.
[OP]
May 28, 2011
503 posts
403 upvotes
craftsman wrote:
Dec 15th, 2019 11:53 pm
For the average person, I would think that the Brita name brand is more recognizable than Lifestraw as Brita is everywhere with their filtered water jugs. However, the Lifestraw probably does a better job in filtering as Britas are really 'cosmetic' water filters in that they remove certain odours and taste from already safe water while a Lifestraw will filter much more.
Agreed, what I meant was in this particular niche of outdoor / camping filters.
Deal Guru
Jan 27, 2006
11890 posts
5070 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
pny128 wrote:
Dec 15th, 2019 11:20 pm
Depends on what you consider chemical contamination... A Brita does use activated carbon for it's primary filter which means that it will remove some degree of organic chemical compounds. However, I don't believe that a Brita is NSF certified so anything more than 'cosmetic' filtering may be asking too much from the product.