Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Amazon.ca

LifeStraw Personal Water Filter - $19.95

• Last Updated:
  • May 11th, 2015 3:34 pm
Tags:
26 replies
Deal Fanatic
Apr 17, 2005
5331 posts
2167 upvotes
Kitchener
Sawyer mini is much better.
This space is intentionally left blank.
Dec 8, 2013
424 posts
224 upvotes
Oakville
This will make a nice addition to my bug out kit, and all you haters be dead when the nuclear apocolypse comes or zombies...not sure what will happen first.
Deal Addict
May 2, 2011
1529 posts
1099 upvotes
Toronto
Thundercloud wrote: Sawyer mini is much better.
Nope. From looking around the lifestraw is better due to being from a more reputable company and the fact that lifestraw has undergone tons of testing in the field. The sawyer has unsubstantiated claims about the longevity of the filter and has a lot less real world testing compared to the life straw.
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2007
1642 posts
236 upvotes
Quebec
Krispy1 wrote: Nope. From looking around the lifestraw is better due to being from a more reputable company and the fact that lifestraw has undergone tons of testing in the field. The sawyer has unsubstantiated claims about the longevity of the filter and has a lot less real world testing compared to the life straw.
No matter how better you think the filter of the Lifestraw is (it's not), the form factor of the Sawyer mini is much much better.

https://youtu.be/k4sBkR9eJzk?t=731 Good review, Hint : Lifestraw = no good anymore.
Feb 27, 2005
186 posts
53 upvotes
CA
Looks like it's Amazon's deal of the day with a few hours left, but can also be found at Eartheasy for $19.95 + shipping (I don't know if they have a store pick up option). Get additional 10% off with coupon code "LS10NOW". Briden Solutions also has it for $19.95 + shipping (looks like they have a pick up option in Calgary). MEC has it for $21.95 and can be picked up in stores if there is one in your area.
Feb 19, 2012
62 posts
30 upvotes
EDMONTON
Great water purifier. The Lifestraw filters to 0.2 microns, but the mini sawyer filters to 0.1 microns. The Mini sawyer also comes with a reverse flow pump to "clean" the filter and increase its usage. The price is very comparable. I recently bought a mini sawyer from Amazon.com as it's much cheaper than Amazon.ca price.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 3, 2010
6705 posts
2100 upvotes
Mississauga
Savings is $8.06 not $29.
Silence is the best answer to a fool
Deal Fanatic
Jan 10, 2010
7294 posts
2906 upvotes
Calgary
The Sawyer mini is definitely my choice. Amazon.ca has a 2-pk Sawyer mini for $50, two filters, two bags, two plungers, and 2 straws. Weighs 2 oz, it's 0.1 micron filters up to 100,000 gallons of water (vs. Lifestraw 0.2 micron up to 265 gallons). I am getting this for my husband's birthday.

http://www.amazon.ca/Sawyer-Products-SP ... =lifestraw
Deal Addict
May 3, 2006
2505 posts
41 upvotes
Milton
Krispy1 wrote: Nope. From looking around the lifestraw is better due to being from a more reputable company and the fact that lifestraw has undergone tons of testing in the field. The sawyer has unsubstantiated claims about the longevity of the filter and has a lot less real world testing compared to the life straw.
We have used the larger Sawyer models in our operation in Cambodia with excellent results. I'd saw Sawyer is a very reputable brand. And the reviews reflect that
Your source for training, nutrition, supplement advice!
Aug 12, 2010
828 posts
470 upvotes
althetrainer wrote: The Sawyer mini is definitely my choice. Amazon.ca has a 2-pk Sawyer mini for $50, two filters, two bags, two plungers, and 2 straws. Weighs 2 oz, it's 0.1 micron filters up to 100,000 gallons of water (vs. Lifestraw 0.2 micron up to 265 gallons). I am getting this for my husband's birthday.

http://www.amazon.ca/Sawyer-Products-SP ... =lifestraw
I haven't used the Sawyer, but the lifestraw I bought is about 20 bucks cheaper for 2 of them and no need for plungers or straws or all those extra things you can lose. The Lifestraw is just one piece. Even if it only filters 250 gallons, who seriously drinks that much water? Thats 50 large size refillable water cooler bottles. If I drink water every day from my water cooler, I go through about 2 bottles a month. The lower micron filtration is good though on the Sawyer. For me, I just use the lifestraw when hiking and drinking from a relatively safe water fall or stream but just want to make sure I don't get any bacteria from feces or parasites.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 10, 2010
7294 posts
2906 upvotes
Calgary
I suppose you are less likely to lose the lifestraw because of its size. The Sawyer mini is much smaller and can be kept inside almost any pocket. It also has an option of using a straw instead of a bag. If I want to go for a hike without bringing a bag, I just pack the small straw with the filter then go. Of course, I am not going to drink 250 gallons at once. The 100,000 gallons capability just means it will last longer. Not only the Sawyer mini can filter more water but it also comes with a plunger that prevents clogging, premature expiration, of the filter.

But again, to each their own. If the lifestraw works for you and you're happy with it then you've made the right purchase for yourself.
Deal Addict
Apr 3, 2006
1690 posts
670 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
lol drink your own urine. Sometimes these threads are entertaining.
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2007
3113 posts
606 upvotes
FYI Groupon has this too for $19.99 but not sure of price of shipping.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
20736 posts
14205 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
weaser999 wrote: I haven't used the Sawyer, but the lifestraw I bought is about 20 bucks cheaper for 2 of them and no need for plungers or straws or all those extra things you can lose. The Lifestraw is just one piece. Even if it only filters 250 gallons, who seriously drinks that much water? Thats 50 large size refillable water cooler bottles. If I drink water every day from my water cooler, I go through about 2 bottles a month. The lower micron filtration is good though on the Sawyer. For me, I just use the lifestraw when hiking and drinking from a relatively safe water fall or stream but just want to make sure I don't get any bacteria from feces or parasites.
The biggest issue with the Lifestraw is that it's just a straw. You can't connect it up to the pouch or a bottle, you can't use it to filter water for the rest of the hike, and let's face it, no-one wants to share a straw so it's really a personal device. It's really just a point of use device (ie. you are next to that pond, water source) for an individual.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2007
9136 posts
2091 upvotes
Trump Uni Dropout
Can't you just go to the supermarket and pick up some bottled water if you run out during your hike?

I know the straw is good for other countries but here I never really heard of people running out of good water and dying during a hike. I know that Walkerton thingy but that's all I can think of
Banned
Jun 8, 2008
3977 posts
1421 upvotes
Toronto
Corleone187 wrote: Can't you just go to the supermarket and pick up some bottled water if you run out during your hike?

I know the straw is good for other countries but here I never really heard of people running out of good water and dying during a hike. I know that Walkerton thingy but that's all I can think of
We hike in Algonquin, we can't go pick up bottled water! My son bought one of these a few months ago, but we have yet to use it!
Nov 12, 2012
83 posts
49 upvotes
Vancouver
Skip both of those and get the Diercon Personal Water Filter. Similar concept to the lifestraw but is a ultrafiltration device rather than only mircofiltration.
0.01 Microns for the Diercon vs 0.1 microns for the Sawyer.
Ultrafiltration is more effective at removing bacteria and viruses.
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2006
2359 posts
222 upvotes
Any health benefits to using this for tap water instead of the conventional britta filters? Or would that be seen as a first world problem.

Just curious.