Hot Deals

[Amazon Canada] LifeStraw Personal Water Filter for Hiking, Camping, Travel Amazon.ca $19.99 Warm Deal

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 14th, 2019 2:51 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 8, 2005
1489 posts
438 upvotes

[Amazon Canada] LifeStraw Personal Water Filter for Hiking, Camping, Travel Amazon.ca $19.99 Warm Deal

The Lifestraw is a widely used and well-reviewed water filter that is primarily used for hiking, camping and travel. You use it like a straw, hence the name. It filters bacteria, protozoa and turbidity quite well but does not filter chemicals or salt etc. The filter is .2 microns which is quite good but not as good as the BeFree .1 micron filters.

It is $17.49 on Amazon.com so with currency conversion this is cheaper. It is a warm deal but not a hot one at 23% off. 3x Camel says the lowest-ever price has been $15.98 so about four dollars cheaper.
52 replies
Jun 9, 2019
41 posts
40 upvotes
Lowest price ever was actually $12.99 during a brief lightning deal last July, according to Keepa.
Aug 1, 2013
298 posts
197 upvotes
The Lower Mainland
Don't get this for anything but novelty. It's simply not practical to squat and lay down at a water source to get water.

There are much better water filters that attach to bottles from Sawyer (connects to a regular top water bottle like disposable smart bottles) and katadyn befree (connects to a soft bottle).
Recommendations
Befree Filter + Seeker 2L or 3L
https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5051-157/ ... -Cartridge
https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5052-474/ ... -Container
Much faster flow rate but shorter lifespan before it clogs. Can't backflow this and it requires a bit more effort to clean after a trip.

Sawyer + Generic Bottle
https://www.amazon.ca/Products-SP137-Po ... way&sr=8-2
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com ... L1500_.jpg
Better for long lifespan as you can backflow the filter to clean it out.
Last edited by Chris9446 on Jul 14th, 2019 4:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
To buy or not to buy...
Dec 13, 2017
80 posts
87 upvotes
Chris9446 wrote:
Jul 11th, 2019 8:21 pm
Don't get this for anything but novelty. It's simply not practical to squat and lay down at a water source to get water. There are much better water filters that attach to bottles from Sawyer (connects to a regular top water bottle like disposable smart bottles) and katadyn befree (connects to a soft bottle).
I would assume you'd fill a container up a drink from that.

Although I notice the marketing materials show otherwise...
Aug 1, 2013
298 posts
197 upvotes
The Lower Mainland
Flonkeys wrote:
Jul 11th, 2019 8:32 pm
I would assume you'd fill a container up a drink from that.

Although I notice the marketing materials show otherwise...
You could but it doesn't screw on properly so it would be a bit jenky.
To buy or not to buy...
Dec 13, 2017
80 posts
87 upvotes
Chris9446 wrote:
Jul 11th, 2019 8:36 pm
You could but it doesn't screw on properly so it would be a bit jenky.
Ah, makes sense, guess you could never seal it to actually bring some with you.
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2003
2306 posts
623 upvotes
Nunavut
Much more expensive (10x) than these guys,... but if your camping, the only way to go is a gravity filter like the Platypus, once I got one I will never go back!

After using things like the MSR pumps, sitting out on a rock or paddling out a bit pumping water, just scooping up 4l of water and hanging it up on a tree to filter in a couple minutes is amazing.. was like I just checked into a 5 star hotel and was being pampered :)
Deal Guru
Jan 27, 2006
11092 posts
4493 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
joelthetroll wrote:
Jul 11th, 2019 7:32 pm
The Sawyer Mini is better reviewed and only a little more money. The two pack makes it cheaper.

https://www.amazon.ca/Sawyer-Products-S ... th=1&psc=1
I would put the Sawyer Mini in a higher class of filter than the LifeStraw. LifeStraw seems to depend on constant promotion such as this one (it seems to go on sale on Amazon every couple of months). On the other hand, the Sawyer Mini never seems to go on sale and has huge advantages over the LifeStraw -

1. Filters better
2. Filters more
3. Reverse Flushable
4. Can be used passively
5. Can be used with water bottles and hydration packs
6. Can also be used as a straw
Deal Guru
Jan 27, 2006
11092 posts
4493 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Eldorado wrote:
Jul 12th, 2019 10:50 am
Much more expensive (10x) than these guys,... but if your camping, the only way to go is a gravity filter like the Platypus, once I got one I will never go back!

After using things like the MSR pumps, sitting out on a rock or paddling out a bit pumping water, just scooping up 4l of water and hanging it up on a tree to filter in a couple minutes is amazing.. was like I just checked into a 5 star hotel and was being pampered :)
You could use the Sawyer Mini as the primary filter element in a gravity filter system you can make yourself for a fraction of the price plus the Sawyer can filter A LOT more water per filter.
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2003
2306 posts
623 upvotes
Nunavut
craftsman wrote:
Jul 12th, 2019 1:31 pm
You could use the Sawyer Mini as the primary filter element in a gravity filter system you can make yourself for a fraction of the price plus the Sawyer can filter A LOT more water per filter.
Good tip! Looks like they are about $20-25 cheaper than the platypus filters
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2003
8365 posts
624 upvotes
i travel with this and a Camelbak UV container. Only had to use it once, but felt confident that it did the job lol.
Deal Guru
Jan 27, 2006
11092 posts
4493 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Eldorado wrote:
Jul 12th, 2019 1:41 pm
Good tip! Looks like they are about $20-25 cheaper than the platypus filters
If you count the fact that the Platypus filter is good for 1,500 L while the Mini is good for 100,000 US Gallons (or 370,000 L), the difference in price is a no-brainer.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 8, 2005
1489 posts
438 upvotes
Chris9446 wrote:
Jul 11th, 2019 8:21 pm
Don't get this for anything but novelty. It's simply not practical to squat and lay down at a water source to get water. There are much better water filters that attach to bottles from Sawyer (connects to a regular top water bottle like disposable smart bottles) and katadyn befree (connects to a soft bottle).
We bought the Befree Katadyn ourselves to do some backcountry canoe camping because the filter is .1 microns like the Sawyer and because it filters fast etc. but this Lifestraw looks decent and I agree that bringing a container/bag/whatever would help with the awkwardness. As to the Sawyer Mini being better, it looks like it is a better unit and if you need a two pack it is a better buy. If you don't need two though you are spending 34 dollars plus tax.
Deal Guru
Jan 27, 2006
11092 posts
4493 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
feminazi wrote:
Jul 13th, 2019 1:14 am
We bought the Befree Katadyn ourselves to do some backcountry canoe camping because the filter is .1 microns like the Sawyer and because it filters fast etc. but this Lifestraw looks decent and I agree that bringing a container/bag/whatever would help with the awkwardness. As to the Sawyer Mini being better, it looks like it is a better unit and if you need a two pack it is a better buy. If you don't need two though you are spending 34 dollars plus tax.
I have to say about the price is: LifeStraw does 1500 L per $15 unit (or about $0.01 per litre) while the Sawyer Mini does 370,000 L per $17 unit (or basically too small to count). Plus if I was taking a water filter into the backcountry and that's my only source for water, I would pack a spare.