Expired Hot Deals

Amazon.ca

Lightening Deal - Aluminum Laptop Riser (supports up to 15.6")

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 16th, 2020 6:22 pm
[OP]
Banned
Jun 8, 2011
143 posts
331 upvotes
Toronto

[Amazon.ca] Lightening Deal - Aluminum Laptop Riser (supports up to 15.6")

Been eyeing this sleek laptop stand at $49.99
Lighting Deal: $41.46
Clip $5 coupon
No Tax
Total: $36.64 (27% savings)

Please be nice - as far as laptop stand goes, there might be cheaper finds, but not as minimally designed
Images
  • laptop stand.JPG
28 replies
Dec 7, 2016
157 posts
118 upvotes
For those wondering if Laptop risers help with temperatures- they make a massive difference. My laptop is 10c cooler while gaming after putting it on a laptop stand- I even overclock it now lol. If you're gaming on your laptop with a separate keyboard/mouse- I highly recommend it.
Dec 26, 2018
199 posts
276 upvotes
RD274S wrote: For those wondering if Laptop risers help with temperatures- they make a massive difference. My laptop is 10c cooler while gaming after putting it on a laptop stand- I even overclock it now lol. If you're gaming on your laptop with a separate keyboard/mouse- I highly recommend it.
Does anyone have any experience using a dedicated laptop cooler? Those buggers are expensive and I'm curious if they actually work better than a simple riser does in terms of temperature control.
Deal Addict
May 15, 2009
2905 posts
2725 upvotes
North York
RaySmith wrote: Does anyone have any experience using a dedicated laptop cooler? Those buggers are expensive and I'm curious if they actually work better than a simple riser does in terms of temperature control.
The ones with the fans? They work better than a stand but they do produce some noise depending on the quality of the fans.
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2005
4907 posts
2138 upvotes
Vancity
RaySmith wrote: Does anyone have any experience using a dedicated laptop cooler? Those buggers are expensive and I'm curious if they actually work better than a simple riser does in terms of temperature control.
I picked up a PrimeCables laptop cooler ($8) the other month. Even with no fan turned on, the laptop is cooler. The fan is noisy, so I only turn it on as needed (through a USB hub with a switch).
signature closed for renovation
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2009
2493 posts
1754 upvotes
GTA
If you are going to pay $30+ for a stand, i would suggest getting a height adjustable one even if paying a little more. It will make a huge difference.
Sep 11, 2009
168 posts
211 upvotes
Toronto
I have a cheap Cooler Master before that was USB-powered. They really worked and kept my temps down because of the additional cool air flowing to the laptop. Though I only use it for gaming when laptop runs really hot. If your laptop needs that kind of cooling, then yes that is better than just a riser. I would use riser if im not gaming, and im on a desk.

Mine looked similar to this:
https://www.amazon.ca/Cooler-Master-Not ... B005C31HC0
Deal Addict
Apr 1, 2015
1637 posts
929 upvotes
NOYFB
I'd take either monitor stand (cheaper) or cooling pad (more effective)

This one is a hard pass for me
plz don't touch my signature.

don't make me less of a human just cause i don't share your "idiotologies".

👮‍♂️👮‍♀️lives matter
Dec 26, 2018
199 posts
276 upvotes
recordman wrote: I picked up a PrimeCables laptop cooler ($8) the other month. Even with no fan turned on, the laptop is cooler. The fan is noisy, so I only turn it on as needed (through a USB hub with a switch).
I can't find a PrimeCables cooler at close to that price, closest I can see is this one, is it in the ballpark?

https://www.123ink.ca/p-345492-gza-0002 ... able-stand
May 23, 2017
111 posts
36 upvotes
ordered, thanks! not sure why there is all these downvotes. this is a cheap alternative of the exact same product from sundance.
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2005
4907 posts
2138 upvotes
Vancity
RaySmith wrote: I can't find a PrimeCables cooler at close to that price, closest I can see is this one, is it in the ballpark?

https://www.123ink.ca/p-345492-gza-0002 ... able-stand
It was the Targus refurb one, which I believe is no longer available. The one you indicated is probably better. It's really too bad there doesn't appear for a way to turn on a USB port through software. It'd be nice to run an app that checks the laptop's temp and then turns on a USB port to power the cooling pad's fan.
signature closed for renovation
Deal Fanatic
May 16, 2011
5185 posts
7589 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
I wonder if the Aluminium construction helps with the heat dissipation, and if it's as good as a cooling pad with fans. It would be quiet.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2004
1533 posts
475 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Looks like price back to $49 less $5
Dec 26, 2018
199 posts
276 upvotes
recordman wrote: It was the Targus refurb one, which I believe is no longer available. The one you indicated is probably better. It's really too bad there doesn't appear for a way to turn on a USB port through software. It'd be nice to run an app that checks the laptop's temp and then turns on a USB port to power the cooling pad's fan.
Not an issue for me, the notebook only has a few USB ports so I put everything through an individually switchable USB hub. :)

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07YFJ ... UTF8&psc=1

A number of more expensive coolers on Amazon have fan speed switches, that's somewhat tempting but I'm not sure how necessary, they all have significantly higher fan speeds and smaller fans so the control is probably more necessary on those.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2010
5397 posts
5449 upvotes
Edmonton
Nikhilvoid wrote: I wonder if the Aluminium construction helps with the heat dissipation, and if it's as good as a cooling pad with fans. It would be quiet.
Not enough surface area contact to make a difference. Plus, its either interacting with laptop body or hot air at which point being made of aluminum is not adding anything. The material of the stand would only help if it was attached to the heat producing components in a way that would allow heat to dissipate faster.
Be a nice person and enjoy life

My feedback: Heatware Redflagdeals
Dec 26, 2018
199 posts
276 upvotes
SoroSuub1 wrote: Does anyone else just stick an eraser under the far corners of the laptop to prop it up when using a separate mouse/keyboard or is that just me lol.
No, but the hutch I had my notebook on has a bit of a lip to keep things from rolling off, I guess, so I had the back of the notebook propped up on that. Didn't help much.

These could help more if you wanted to go next-generation eraser:

https://www.amazon.ca/MOTZU-Kickstand-R ... B083LYC9KF

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)