[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2008
2847 posts
2846 upvotes

[Amazon.ca] Lightning Deal - Ecobee Thermostat - $239.99

Deal Link:
Price:
I already have one, but this is a very good price for the thermostat at this point. I think the enbridge rebate is still available as well.

This is part of the lightning deal section, so act quickly for those that need or want one.

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01264FF9S/ref ... Y4H2EB8YRX
70 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2009
1357 posts
537 upvotes
Was just about to post this, went ahead and pulled the trigger at this price. Looking forward to setting up in my new home!
Deal Addict
May 2, 2008
2542 posts
1413 upvotes
Mississauga
I've been looking at getting the Nest Home Thermostat, anyone know which is better?
Vinh
If you're going to hate, Get off RFD!
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2005
4355 posts
746 upvotes
Edmonton
Pretty sure this is a repost. If you search my comments will see I have one and have so for about 6 months. I feel it still needs work happy with it but still not all it can be. Setup can be complex and troublesome.
Heatware
The difference between wanting and needing is how you justify it.
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2003
4378 posts
1109 upvotes
Hamilton
How's this work with 2 stage variable furnace??
Apr 15, 2012
235 posts
298 upvotes
sidshock wrote: How's this work with 2 stage variable furnace??
Pretty good...you can set it to start at stage 2 and then go down to stage 1 at the end. U can also set the temperature difference before it engages stage 2. If you set smart recovery (where it starts heating before you wake up or get home), it seems to use stage 1 so its not too loud while you're sleeping. Overall I'm very satisfied with mine. Seems like they've put a lot of thought into the features
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2008
2847 posts
2846 upvotes
vinnie1990 wrote: I've been looking at getting the Nest Home Thermostat, anyone know which is better?
Ecobee is better imo. The remote sensors is already a huge bonus versus nest. Support Canadian :)
Deal Fanatic
Aug 25, 2005
5142 posts
2087 upvotes
vinnie1990 wrote: I've been looking at getting the Nest Home Thermostat, anyone know which is better?
unless you already have the nest smoke detector, Ecobee.
-remote sensor(s)
-includes power extender kit (for older houses)
-costs less
Oct 16, 2014
61 posts
25 upvotes
Timmins, ON
the ecobee has much smaller temperature swing settings than the nest, which adds to greater comfort and efficiency. The support staff are great and actual trained in HVAC.
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2005
11188 posts
3692 upvotes
How do you know if you can easily install one of these? I would like one but I heard the don't work with all homes.
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
1200 posts
329 upvotes
Gatineau
I love Ecobee but had two main issues, still unresolved. I went through high level tech support and they were even prepared to reimburse me, but I just asked for 2 free additional sensors (now have 6).

Main issue #1
- They say the sensors don't detect pet movement, but that's not 100% true. I have a normal size cat, and sensors sometimes pick him up, which makes my heating start when I'm away, resulting in a waste. After a lot of troubleshooting which drove me crazy (for the first 6 months, the sensors were detecting phantom movement (could not know what where and when) so I could not know if it was the cat or something else), we finally reached the conclusion (and the proof) that it was the cat, and there was nothing they could do about it. The proof came after a software update where I could finally see where and when the detections happened. The randomness of it could just be the cat. So I cannot use Smart Home / Smart Away anymore until the cat dies....

Main issue #2
- I have my HRV connected to it and interconnected with the furnace. Something supposedly required by building code (as if all building codes were the same - I find their explanation BS) has been driving me nuts, that is 1hr pre-purge prior any home event. That means that during pre-heating before I come home, it expels a part of my newly heated air directly outside for 1 hour. I was using Smart Home / Smart away as a workaround for that, but the cat ruined it :) .

So, it's not perfect by any means. Smart Recovery for heat works great, but I deactivated it for cooling, I found it was starting many hours early, which did not make any sense.

I love the sensors, it helps even out the temp. "even" is a strong word, but you'll be able to avoid, for example, a cold basement.

I'm pretty familiar with it, because of my troubleshooting, I can try to answer questions.
Sep 11, 2011
654 posts
726 upvotes
Toronto
d4diesel wrote: $10 more at the home depot if anyone prefers that for easy return if they want to try it out first

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kbpvzol18dlfp ... 0.jpg?dl=0
Pretty good deal too! Ordered from Amazon but if I catch this today at a store will try and see if I can cancel my order.

This ends up being pretty much the same price since I got charged $7 for shipping and I added the additional sensors for $81~.

Thanks OP and d4diesel
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2005
2042 posts
386 upvotes
Ottawa
It used to be $249 regular price until May 20th..... but not sure it's as good of a deal as they make it sound
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2008
2053 posts
1759 upvotes
Winnipeg
does this one require the extra power wire from the furnace? The Honeywell one needs the extra wire, my house is only 5 years old and did not have.
:arrow: "Proudly Serving The RFD Community"
Aug 7, 2012
82 posts
3 upvotes
Toronto
Does the unit come in white? Maybe that doesn't matter for some, but a black box on the wall irks me. In theory if I had dark walls or even black this wouldn't be an issue. But my assumption is most people have white walls.
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2012
1054 posts
239 upvotes
Toronto
Can't decide if I want the ecobee or wait fora deal on the nest.
Apr 15, 2012
235 posts
298 upvotes
CanuckPower wrote: Does the unit come in white? Maybe that doesn't matter for some, but a black box on the wall irks me. In theory if I had dark walls or even black this wouldn't be an issue. But my assumption is most people have white walls.
No. Black only. But there is a white trim kit that comes with it. It sits around the ecobee and is designed to hide holes from your old thermostat