Expired Hot Deals

Amazon.ca

Lightning Deal - Lavatools PT12 Javelin Digital Instant Read Meat Thermometer - 23.79$

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 19th, 2020 12:18 pm
[OP]
Jan 11, 2016
8 posts
65 upvotes
Montreal

[Amazon.ca] Lightning Deal - Lavatools PT12 Javelin Digital Instant Read Meat Thermometer - 23.79$

Great price! Great reviews!
All-time low according to CCC

Only 50 minutes left to grab one!
Images
  • 81uzaj-lV0L._AC_SL1500_.jpg
17 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2019
1288 posts
2570 upvotes
Canada
anyone have personal experience with these? looks interesting
Live a little
Oct 17, 2010
888 posts
523 upvotes
Edmonton
Jackji wrote: anyone have personal experience with these? looks interesting
I have a Thermapen mk4 and love it.
Dec 14, 2005
180 posts
113 upvotes
I have one that I've used for the past 2 years. I use it in the kitchen, BBQing, as well as cheese making. It is accurate and also takes fast readings. Back when I bought it, it was a very highly reviewed thermometer for the price. Has a switch inside the battery compartment to switch between F and C. Has a magnet built in to make it easy to stick onto your fridge or whatever.

I liked it so much I bought it for the best cook in the entire world... my mom. And she loves it as well.

Basically, you can buy the cheap ones on ebay, and they will work too, and be accurate. What you really pay money for when it comes to digital thermometers is the speed at which they read, and this one is pretty quick. And when your hand is holding a thermometer above a 500F BBQ, you will be glad that it takes fast readings!
Aug 2, 2020
89 posts
71 upvotes
Don’t know why I need this, but got one anyway. Thanks op!
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2014
1592 posts
5211 upvotes
Calgary, AB
Definitely do not need this.

Bought anyway.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2009
2314 posts
3034 upvotes
GTA
Oh, a cheap Thermapen copy.
Wonder if it works as well?

Thermapens are awesome. Mine has been going for over 15 years. Not cheap, but they work and last.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2009
2314 posts
3034 upvotes
GTA
XSnapSX wrote: any significant performance for this over this one?
https://www.amazon.ca/Thermometer-Insta ... r=1-6&th=1

I like how this one has a wire probe and you can just stick it and leave it in.
Two different uses.

One you stick in something big and leave it. Think roast, or smoking on the BBQ. Like the Weber iGrill for the latter.

The other you use to instantly (literally, the good ones read in about 1 second) check the temperature of anything, especially fast cooking and thin protein.
Is your bread baked? Cheesecake done?
How about that steak on the blazing hot grill? Perfect medium rare?
A thin fish fillet? No problem.
So simple and fast, you grab it to check the water temp when you proof yeast.

For an instant read thermometer you want accuracy, tiny probe and damn fast to read. Seriously, buy a Thermapen. Yeah, they’re more money. If you cook enough to need this, the price is nothing compared to the cost of your food.
Deal Fanatic
May 23, 2003
9799 posts
1279 upvotes
GTA
Darn, I was in the market for one of these cheaper ones. I have 2 thermaoens but wanted a cheaper one for another location. Guess I should amp up my RFD game and check more frequently so don't miss out on good deals ..
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2007
4115 posts
1632 upvotes
Kingston, ON
Damn, too late. Damn you lightning, damn you.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2011
3394 posts
2082 upvotes
West Coast
Had one of these for about 3-3.5 years now. Still rocking the same battery and use it often. Only downside is you need to take the battery cover off to change from F to C, but aside from that it has been great.

Highly recommended, especially at this price (if it comes back as I know the lightning deal is over)
Please don't ask or beg for "thanks". Don't act like this is Facebook. If someone found your post helpful, let them decide if they want to make that click. The more you beg, the less you'll get. Cheers
Nov 21, 2006
602 posts
377 upvotes
I have a cheap one from Ebay which I paid $2 and I am using it for 2 years.
It shows that boiling water is 99 Celsius - good enough for me
Takes about 8 seconds to read the temperature but who cares since I don't need to hold it with my hand
Deal Addict
May 25, 2011
3171 posts
4846 upvotes
GTA North
karlb wrote: Two different uses.

One you stick in something big and leave it. Think roast, or smoking on the BBQ. Like the Weber iGrill for the latter.

The other you use to instantly (literally, the good ones read in about 1 second) check the temperature of anything, especially fast cooking and thin protein.
Is your bread baked? Cheesecake done?
How about that steak on the blazing hot grill? Perfect medium rare?
A thin fish fillet? No problem.
So simple and fast, you grab it to check the water temp when you proof yeast.

For an instant read thermometer you want accuracy, tiny probe and damn fast to read. Seriously, buy a Thermapen. Yeah, they’re more money. If you cook enough to need this, the price is nothing compared to the cost of your food.
XSnapSX wrote: any significant performance for this over this one?
https://www.amazon.ca/Thermometer-Insta ... r=1-6&th=1

I like how this one has a wire probe and you can just stick it and leave it in.

I was looking at this a few days ago. Hopefully it will drop in price again as it was $16.99 back near the end of Oct/2020. I do understand the wired probe use as I was thinking of having that added function when bake/roasting stuff. Plan on doing some cooked chicken when I get a billy can on my Firebox Nano and G2 Firebox. For me I'm looking for a compact dual function thermo reader for field cooking as well as home cooking. Could anyone recommend any good economical budget models that can do probe temp monitoring as well as instant reading?

Do they make thermo readers with an vibrate alarm as well?
...Location: GTA North
If this post has helped you please click the 'THANKS' button.
GTA Grocery Highlights (updated weekly) thread
[WTB] Looking for a Netbook for $150 or under (~$100)
Nov 18, 2008
759 posts
314 upvotes
Toronto
Have one for couple years now, works well. Must have for steak cooking.
Jan 7, 2010
187 posts
129 upvotes
Burlington
Any other good deals on digital meat thermometers that anyone has seen?