Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon.ca] Lightning deal: Olight S1 Baton 500 Lumen Compact EDC LED Flashlight $29.00 (57% off)

  • Last Updated:
  • Jan 2nd, 2018 6:44 am
[OP]
Newbie
Jan 29, 2012
38 posts
112 upvotes
CALGARY

[Amazon.ca] Lightning deal: Olight S1 Baton 500 Lumen Compact EDC LED Flashlight $29.00 (57% off)

Lightning deal ends in ~5 hours from time of posting.

https://www.amazon.ca/Olight-Compact-Fl ... 50JK1J15SB
37 replies
Deal Addict
User avatar
Apr 8, 2003
1563 posts
168 upvotes
Downtown Toronto
Ordered. This thing is tiny! Hopefully the reviews are as great as they say they are.

BTW, batteries not included. Recommend these CR123A
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2008
1033 posts
290 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
ChiGGz wrote: Ordered. This thing is tiny! Hopefully the reviews are as great as they say they are.

BTW, batteries not included. Recommend these CR123A
Does it come with a charger for the battery?

And I see plenty of flash lights in Amazon with good reviews for 500 to 609 lumens and battery included for $29.99, would those be realistically as bright as this claims to be?
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 8, 2014
18486 posts
6589 upvotes
l2iceman wrote:
And I see plenty of flash lights in Amazon with good reviews for 500 to 609 lumens and battery included for $29.99, would those be realistically as bright as this claims to be?
Post a few and i can give you an opinion
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburders eat people
Member
Dec 20, 2014
349 posts
102 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
Thanks OP.

If you see the status as 100% claimed (I did) - try to stay on the page for a few moments or refresh it, it changed from 100% to 97% for me.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 8, 2014
18486 posts
6589 upvotes
Garbage. This light sells as the G700 military flashlight scam, its worth about $5 and is often sold at Dollarama.
3AAA batteries can't even put out the juice to get 600 lumens, the LED is several generations outdated and the current is typically limited to under 1.5A which means it can't put out 600 lumens even if you used lithium ion batteries (which are explosion risks if you don't know what your doing).
If you buy it from Dollarama you will save money and can enjoy the 200ish lumens you will likely get, or find it for about $5 elsewhere online.
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburders eat people
Newbie
Nov 14, 2017
21 posts
6 upvotes
Quentin look like you know your stuff. Could you reccomend a couple very high lumens ones that are also good quality?
Thanks
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 8, 2014
18486 posts
6589 upvotes
Sebpaq wrote: Quentin look like you know your stuff. Could you reccomend a couple very high lumens ones that are also good quality?
Thanks
It comes down to how much do you want to spend, what kind of batteries do you want to use and are you willing to invest in rechargeables and charger?
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburders eat people
Newbie
Nov 14, 2017
21 posts
6 upvotes
Quentin5 wrote: It comes down to how much do you want to spend, what kind of batteries do you want to use and are you willing to invest in rechargeables and charger?
Up to 100$ regular price. As for the batteries i know id have to use high capacity ones to get the high lumens. And yes to the charger. Thanks!
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 8, 2014
18486 posts
6589 upvotes
Sebpaq wrote: Up to 100$ regular price. As for the batteries i know id have to use high capacity ones to get the high lumens. And yes to the charger. Thanks!
Are you willing to learn about lithium ion batteries and take care of them or would you prefer NiMH which are more durable and not explosion prone?
Typically 4AAs a smart charger and suitable light makes for an excellent combination, but you can also go simple and buy a Police brand light from walmart and use any battery in it (rechargeable or not).
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburders eat people
Member
Sep 6, 2011
257 posts
28 upvotes
Oakville
Truff01 wrote: Thanks OP.

If you see the status as 100% claimed (I did) - try to stay on the page for a few moments or refresh it, it changed from 100% to 97% for me.
tried refresh a couple of times, no luck, guess you were lucky someone just cancelled the order
Newbie
Nov 14, 2017
21 posts
6 upvotes
Quentin5 wrote: Are you willing to learn about lithium ion batteries and take care of them or would you prefer NiMH which are more durable and not explosion prone?
Typically 4AAs a smart charger and suitable light makes for an excellent combination, but you can also go simple and buy a Police brand light from walmart and use any battery in it (rechargeable or not).
Explosion prone 🤤
I guess id rather stick to nimh then. Would i still be able to get a decent high lumens one using aa's?
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 8, 2014
18486 posts
6589 upvotes
Sebpaq wrote: Explosion prone 🤤
I guess id rather stick to nimh then. Would i still be able to get a decent high lumens one using aa's?
Yeah lithium ion need to be carefully treated, no discharging below 2.5V, no overcharging, careful about impacts, when used in series they can reverse charge, protection circuits are not always reliable since they are typically aftermarket. They are enthusiast grade products unless built into a device with the proper circuitry, you become a human battery babysitter.
The Police lights get to lower lumens but are simple and easy to get, you can get 1000 lumen 4AA lights eneloops and a smart charger are ideal, Ikea AAs are acceptable, they also sell some smart chargers. Any NiMH smart charger will work on any NiMH rechargeable and they put out more current and full brightness till the batteries are empty, whereas alkaline will only give a few mins of full brightness and a fraction of the battery life.
Suitable lights are for example Nitecore EA4(1), Thorfire TK4A, Thrunite TN4A, Lumintop SD4A, Crelant V4A (extra bright but not regulated, starts dimming right away) and so forth. You can check for reviews at Budget Light Forum for any 4AA light.
The Thrunite seems to be the only one on amazon but you can probably do better for price elsewhere
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburders eat people
Newbie
Nov 14, 2017
21 posts
6 upvotes
Quentin5 wrote: Yeah lithium ion need to be carefully treated, no discharging below 2.5V, no overcharging, careful about impacts, when used in series they can reverse charge, protection circuits are not always reliable since they are typically aftermarket. They are enthusiast grade products unless built into a device with the proper circuitry, you become a human battery babysitter.
The Police lights get to lower lumens but are simple and easy to get, you can get 1000 lumen 4AA lights eneloops and a smart charger are ideal, Ikea AAs are acceptable, they also sell some smart chargers. Any NiMH smart charger will work on any NiMH rechargeable and they put out more current and full brightness till the batteries are empty, whereas alkaline will only give a few mins of full brightness and a fraction of the battery life.
Suitable lights are for example Nitecore EA4(1), Thorfire TK4A, Thrunite TN4A, Lumintop SD4A, Crelant V4A (extra bright but not regulated, starts dimming right away) and so forth. You can check for reviews at Budget Light Forum for any 4AA light.
The Thrunite seems to be the only one on amazon but you can probably do better for price elsewhere
Thanks man thats great. Ill find one of those!
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 8, 2014
18486 posts
6589 upvotes
FrancisBacon wrote: How about these lights
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B013SA ... UTF8&psc=1

And what kind of care would you recommend?
I have not used the TN12 but Thrunite has a good reputation, the comments say it doesn't come with batteries which can be tricky to get in Canada, many places won't send them by mail anymore, but they are probably available on amazon but fakes are prevalent. However they are used in vaping so i assume they can be bought (i have not bought any for a few years so i don't know current sources). A;lso the light may be cheaper elsewhere, though when buying from chinese websites some are better then others.
Here is a review
http://budgetlightforum.com/node/51284
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburders eat people
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 9, 2007
13689 posts
8699 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Deal is dead!

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Expert
User avatar
Oct 28, 2004
21400 posts
2634 upvotes
Toronto
damn, saw this earlier and it was at 97% and was going to pull the trigger.....but forgot and went to make breakfast.

This little guy outputs up to 500 lumens? Cray...

I picked up the CooYoo quantum LED a few years back and it was touted as one of the smallest at the time but only outputs up to 200 lumens....it has a built-in charger though which makes it handy.

Will keep my eye out for this Olight baton one...thx OP!!

FS: Nothing at the moment
Heatware: 63-0-0
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
15588 posts
13187 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Wow that was a solid deal for a quality light. As Quentin says forget those cheap China lights, especially the ones that RFD love to flock to.

I'm into custom lights so my views my be skewerd lol.

Top