Lightning deal: Reolink PoE PTZ Outdoor Security Camera - $229

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 23rd, 2020 2:23 pm
36 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 16, 2011
1031 posts
546 upvotes
I have been shopping security cameras for over a year now to try and find something reasonably priced but POE worries me. If a security camera works via the internet couldn't someone just snip your rogers or bell cable at the side of the house and then boom all your cameras stop working?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2007
3061 posts
3029 upvotes
jronald wrote: I have been shopping security cameras for over a year now to try and find something reasonably priced but POE worries me. If a security camera works via the internet couldn't someone just snip your rogers or bell cable at the side of the house and then boom all your cameras stop working?
I'm not sure how a non-POE camera solves that

Usually you would be recording the video to local recording server in your home like BlueIris, maybe on an old laptop or something. Or even just an old Android tablet running TinyCam.
If you're really paranoid get 5G wireless backup, or get the kind of internet that runs underground through conduit, like fiber
Aug 26, 2008
178 posts
72 upvotes
Barrie
That's not how PoE works. It just takes power over the ethernet cable. That power is typically provided by either the switch it is plugged into or a Poe injector which is plugged into the wall and injects power onto the line.
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2007
2855 posts
987 upvotes
Unless your power goes out, then yes, boom you loose all your ...everything... You should always have a ups that can last around 20mins, which isn't that expensive, most people don't have more than a server, a switch or two, and some access points so a 1300/1500W ups is enough.
Dec 26, 2006
111 posts
101 upvotes
London
jronald wrote: I have been shopping security cameras for over a year now to try and find something reasonably priced but POE worries me. If a security camera works via the internet couldn't someone just snip your rogers or bell cable at the side of the house and then boom all your cameras stop working?
POE is just how the camera gets powered (Power Over Ethernet) vs running a second cable to provide the 12V power. You can run POE cameras without an internet connection.
Apr 23, 2016
624 posts
696 upvotes
Kelowna
That could be an issue with WiFi cameras but not POE.
Dec 25, 2012
739 posts
1052 upvotes
Ontario
Just get a Wyze, it's cheap and does the job! 24/7 local recording too. I returned my Lorex $1000 system to costco when I realized how ridiculous the wiring will be and having a hub in my house to run all the wiring to a monitor. No thanks. Just get the wifi Wyze and for 99% of incidents you will be covered. You can get 2 cameras for $80.
Jul 29, 2012
77 posts
12 upvotes
It's tempting however I worry about the PTZ functionality in the winter. It's also a pretty large unit vs a regular dome camera.
Dec 14, 2006
405 posts
372 upvotes
Not even an issue with certain wifi cams... I have a multi NVR reolink system at a rural property. Right now we have a few wifi cameras running on our local mesh network. Even if internet is down, the right wifi cams can still connect to the NVR... the battery powered wifi cams don't though.
Oct 14, 2007
513 posts
855 upvotes
Thedford
Thanks OP.

FWIW I've had this camera for about 6 weeks. Bought it when it was on sale the last time.

It was easy to install / connect to a Reolink NVR and works as expected. The image quality is quite good. Controlling the PTZ with the online app is a little flaky as there is a bit of delay from when you move the camera (via the app) to when it responds but you get used to that. Using the optical zoom along with digital zoom I can read a license plate at about 200 feet in daylight.

It has 6 infra red LED's for night vision, not all of them work at the same time. If you change the aim of the camera at night you will notice different LED's activating.

The camera is fairly large and has a beefy weight to it. Overall would recommend at this price. I might buy another one. I believe it has a 2 year warranty.
Oct 14, 2007
513 posts
855 upvotes
Thedford
cag_73 wrote: Looking for decent security camera .... around $500-$600 price range .....

Below one with $80 off and no tax comes to $479 ... Is this good price and decent camera ??

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07H3Q ... LOD6&psc=1

Thanks
We purchased a similar system a year ago to replace an analog unit. It was easy to install and you have to run a cat5 cable to each camera. The video quality was a vast improvement over the analog one. The cameras are all mounted outside and have been thorough last winter and this summer with no problems. I'm no expert on these things but have been satisfied with it so far.
Jul 5, 2005
186 posts
48 upvotes
Windsor
I'm in the market for security cameras but I'll pass because:

1. Only rated to -10°C
2. Only does H.264 compression
3. Only 5MP
4. ~20W power consumption
5. Overpriced

Unless you can really benefit from the pan and tilt there are better options.
Deal Addict
Jan 29, 2006
1816 posts
1375 upvotes
Center of the univer…
micromen wrote: Just get a Wyze, it's cheap and does the job! 24/7 local recording too. I returned my Lorex $1000 system to costco when I realized how ridiculous the wiring will be and having a hub in my house to run all the wiring to a monitor. No thanks. Just get the wifi Wyze and for 99% of incidents you will be covered. You can get 2 cameras for $80.
i have to agree with this.. .and seriously their monthly cloud coverage is only $1.50 as well which is very reasonable.
Deal Addict
Jan 24, 2011
1108 posts
365 upvotes
darcyh wrote: We purchased a similar system a year ago to replace an analog unit. It was easy to install and you have to run a cat5 cable to each camera. The video quality was a vast improvement over the analog one. The cameras are all mounted outside and have been thorough last winter and this summer with no problems. I'm no expert on these things but have been satisfied with it so far.
Thanks ... I have CAT5 cable running from my basement to front and back of my house.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2007
3061 posts
3029 upvotes
pbd3mon wrote: I'm in the market for security cameras but I'll pass because:

1. Only rated to -10°C
2. Only does H.264 compression
3. Only 5MP
4. ~20W power consumption
5. Overpriced

Unless you can really benefit from the pan and tilt there are better options.
But PTZ function is what accounts for the bulk of the cost. Reolink has the same camera without PTZ for sub-$100
Jul 5, 2005
186 posts
48 upvotes
Windsor
SomeGuyNamedBob wrote: But PTZ function is what accounts for the bulk of the cost. Reolink has the same camera without PTZ for sub-$100
I agree that's why I mentioned PTZ, I still passed on this cam based on my other points.
Aug 5, 2015
147 posts
249 upvotes
Toronto, ON
A POE camera is usually powered by a DVR device. DVR then records the video onto a hard drive. You will only lose the ability to store things on the cloud. In case of power failure like a blackout, the DVR should have backup battery power (and it beeps the living heck to alert you of a power outage). a DVR only cost $200-300 and probably the best secured method vs. cloud.