Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon.ca] Linksys AC1900 Dual Band Smart Wireless Router with MU-MIMO (Max Stream EA7500-CA) | 33% Off | $99.96

Member
Aug 1, 2016
252 posts
391 upvotes
Guys save yourselves the headache, and buy an Asus router. Stay away from linksys garbage, that has permanent back doors.
Newbie
Dec 24, 2010
98 posts
88 upvotes
Toronto
Loomy wrote: People ask this question all the time and the main upgrade to your wifi is the position of the access point or adding additional access points, not replacing your existing access point. Only in fringe cases will a replaced access point make a big difference. Like sometimes a room will go from having zero coverage to some coverage, which is nice. But there's no way to know that from product reviews, you purely must test that yourself. The best way to improve your home's wifi is with proper infrastructure design. If you don't know how to do that, just get an orbi kit.
So, to summarize, you are saying that replacing a Rogers or Bell wifi modem will have little to no benefit? The only advantage would be adding more access points / range extenders?
Thanks in Advance.

My Rogers has intermittent connection issues throughout the day and I was wondering if this would provide any benefit. The signal strength and proximity to the wifi modem, is not an issue.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Aug 6, 2001
14713 posts
2709 upvotes
Stuck in a Box
crosby86 wrote: So, to summarize, you are saying that replacing a Rogers or Bell wifi modem will have little to no benefit? The only advantage would be adding more access points / range extenders?
Thanks in Advance.

My Rogers has intermittent connection issues throughout the day and I was wondering if this would provide any benefit. The signal strength and proximity to the wifi modem, is not an issue.
Yes, no major impact. Both Bell and Rogers boxes are decent. It’s the location and channel noise you should be looking at. Other option is mesh.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 17, 2003
9851 posts
5898 upvotes
DannyH17 wrote: Guys save yourselves the headache, and buy an Asus router. Stay away from linksys garbage, that has permanent back doors.
Backdoors to do what though? (What's the risk and impact?)
Jr. Member
Jan 5, 2007
139 posts
45 upvotes
Vancouver
weedb0y wrote: Yes, no major impact. Both Bell and Rogers boxes are decent. It’s the location and channel noise you should be looking at. Other option is mesh.
Any thoughts or comments on Telus boxes? They use the Actiontec T3200.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Aug 6, 2001
14713 posts
2709 upvotes
Stuck in a Box
major153 wrote: Any thoughts or comments on Telus boxes? They use the Actiontec T3200.
Sorry, no. But I have first-hand experience with both Bell and Roger's latest boxes. They are very fast, and have decent antennas. The problem typically is that those boxes are attached to the main connection, down in the basement or behind the TV. That's why the location is sub-optimal for most and impacts range.

I recommend Mesh or ethernet back-haul with another router, like this, running in AP / Bridge, mode on top of Bell or Rogers boxes these days for most consumer applications. It works well and keeps it easier to diagnose if connectivity issues happen at provider.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Aug 6, 2001
14713 posts
2709 upvotes
Stuck in a Box
chatbox wrote: Backdoors to do what though? (What's the risk and impact?)
Ability to use mobile app to access the router. Most routers offer it now, but when Linksys offered cloud management, they were the first ones in market, so they had taken lot of heat. It poses no issues anymore.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Jan 27, 2004
13956 posts
3248 upvotes
DannyH17 wrote: Guys save yourselves the headache, and buy an Asus router. Stay away from linksys garbage, that has permanent back doors.
I have the same thought too
Lol
2007 - Ipod Video (TD), Ipod Shuffle (GM)
2006 - Ipod Nano (TD)
2005 - Ipod Shuffle (TD)
Deal Expert
User avatar
Dec 19, 2001
30641 posts
1552 upvotes
Fernando Poo
You need to go to "Buying Choices" to find the Amazon price. Sorry, didn't see that and reported it "expired".
Newbie
Jul 12, 2017
57 posts
37 upvotes
major153 wrote:
How does this compare to the Asus RT-AC66U B1 from Staples deal?
I bought this to fix an older asus router. It didn't go great, I had (slightly) worse signal and o kept having sma issues that needed a restart. Ended up buying the ac66u from staples a couple days ago for the same price and used AI-mesh and now the wireless is perfect.

Might of been just bad luck in my case but I'm really happy with the mesh. ( I used my old router to get wireless to my backyard.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Mar 4, 2004
9242 posts
1819 upvotes
Montreal
DannyH17 wrote: Guys save yourselves the headache, and buy an Asus router. Stay away from linksys garbage, that has permanent back doors.
Source?

I had bought an Asus router, constant disconnections watching Netflix even 15 feet away. Bought a Linksys, the problem went away.

Top