Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Amazon.ca

Linksys WRT1900ACS-CA - $149.99

  • Last Updated:
  • Aug 5th, 2017 4:16 am
[OP]
Member
Aug 28, 2011
479 posts
184 upvotes

[Amazon.ca] Linksys WRT1900ACS-CA - $149.99

Got a price alert on it, looks like the price dropped to $200 last week and then to about $150 today. I saw one other thread about Walmart clearancing out routers including this one, so I suspect it's being replaced by a newer version. It's open-source (OpenWRT) ready and is a pretty solid performer for a smaller space like a condo or apartment. I have the 3200 myself and I love it, even using just the stock firmware from Linksys (do not need all of the extra stuff from DD-WRT or similar).

Edited to remove disallowed links to external price tracker
27 replies
[OP]
Member
Aug 28, 2011
479 posts
184 upvotes
I suspect that this model is discontinued, and all retailers are clearing it out at around the same price. NCIX has them on sale for $230 from their regular $299 (not a deal), Walmart/BB on sale, but I'm personally a fan of Amazon in these cases.

Also many devices in the last few years are dual-band capable, and all devices going forward will probably be, so I'm not sure there'd be no benefit at all? The router would work well for a number of years, or if someone is looking for a good open source capable router without spending a ton on it then this is a good option.
Member
Oct 17, 2005
461 posts
912 upvotes
Toronto
Based on CamelCamel it's a good deal but I am hesitant to pull the trigger only because my household only has 1 ac device and my 3 year old Asus rt-n66u still has some legs with Asuswrt-Merlin running on it

Thanks OP
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Apr 17, 2005
5330 posts
2167 upvotes
Kitchener
Can this run Tomato? (It's not on Shibby's device list.)

I don't have any experience with OpenWRT...
This space is intentionally left blank.
Newbie
May 17, 2017
27 posts
17 upvotes
Toronto
Thundercloud wrote: Can this run Tomato? (It's not on Shibby's device list.)

I don't have any experience with OpenWRT...
No, only runs DD-WRT or OpenWRT. I've only used DD-WRT on mine but it's got some issues. If you plan on torrenting things your router WILL crash. I stayed on the same build of DD-WRT for a year, updated it 1 or 2 weeks ago and suddenly the crashing went from maybe once a day to instantly when I started up my torrent client. It seems to be a common issue as well. As of now I'm back on stock FW because of it, doesn't have much in terms of advanced features but it does perform fine.
[OP]
Member
Aug 28, 2011
479 posts
184 upvotes
Thundercloud wrote: Can this run Tomato? (It's not on Shibby's device list.)

I don't have any experience with OpenWRT...
I think Tomato only works on Broadcom based chipsets, this and the 3200 (which I have) are Marvell based so probably aren't able to run Tomato.

Personally I had a lot of issues with DD-WRT on my 3200, which was due to faulty drivers from Marvell, and caused the WiFi to drop constantly. I ended up going back to stock which worked fine, and Marvell I think has since released new drivers so it should be fixed, I don't know if that impacted both the 3200 and 1900 models, it'd be best to check the DD-WRT or OpenWRT forums before buying though.

Edit:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=58

I did a very quick look through the subforum for DD-WRT for these routers, I don't see that there's been a new fixed release for either 1900 or 3200 (which I have), and one of the devs that used to work on them stopped supporting it. Still some stable versions out there from Brainslayer, but YMMV.
Last edited by Sphexi on Aug 4th, 2017 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 18, 2006
1222 posts
44 upvotes
On the fence between getting a new router for 802.11ac support or buying a Unifi AP instead :|
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2016
2980 posts
3333 upvotes
wich one is best i have no clue when it comes to routers but i feel we should be getting one since all these electronics in the house and i do like to game plus i only got the bell router right now i dont think it is as fast as it should
[OP]
Member
Aug 28, 2011
479 posts
184 upvotes
waven101 wrote: wich one is best i have no clue when it comes to routers but i feel we should be getting one since all these electronics in the house and i do like to game plus i only got the bell router right now i dont think it is as fast as it should
Question would be do you have any issues now? Do you see speed problems, connection problems when gaming, any issues with coverage like your phone not getting WiFi in the far corners of your house? If answer to most of these is no, then really you don't need a fancy new/expensive router IMO. My house is three floors and I had a router in the basement so coverage on the top floor was bad, I got a better router with external antennas on it and put it on the main floor, works great now. But not everybody needs one of these types of routers, if it ain't broke don't fix it type of thing.
boojew wrote: I had one of these for a while and ran https://wiki.untangle.com/index.php/Linksys_WRT1900ACS on it. Was really good - but I've since decided to move to PFSense, so i returned it.
Edit: ****, confused myself with too many tabs open, this is the ACS unit.
Last edited by Sphexi on Aug 4th, 2017 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2016
2980 posts
3333 upvotes
ok was mostly looking at it this because it looks cheap for what it costed before and most routers are at that price range or close to it
id be looking for router to ad that extra firewall between all our devices and work computers and the security camera. I don't use firewall on any of my computers I figured windows 10 would do that but it would be simpler to set up one place and not on all the computers.
we do have 3 floors but the router is in middle floor so not sure it is why I need it inside but outside it is terrible I can get a 2.4ghz but not the 5ghz and we don't have a big back yard. basically back door it stops working. I also live downtown so there is a lot of people and I feel like we do need that extra security now.
it does seem expensive for a wifi extender as some are using it.. those are only 25.00? but with the added features maybe it is worth it.
and as some stated wifi ac on just one device, seems like overkill but future proof only for now anyways. but again I was just looking at it and tempted because It is half price

btw best buy regular price shows only a saving of 50.00 I don't think its hot that much anymore.
http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/lin ... 34396.aspx?
Deal Guru
User avatar
Nov 21, 2002
11575 posts
3970 upvotes
Winnipeg
waven101 wrote: ok was mostly looking at it this because it looks cheap for what it costed before and most routers are at that price range or close to it
id be looking for router to ad that extra firewall between all our devices and work computers and the security camera. I don't use firewall on any of my computers I figured windows 10 would do that but it would be simpler to set up one place and not on all the computers.
we do have 3 floors but the router is in middle floor so not sure it is why I need it inside but outside it is terrible I can get a 2.4ghz but not the 5ghz and we don't have a big back yard. basically back door it stops working. I also live downtown so there is a lot of people and I feel like we do need that extra security now.
it does seem expensive for a wifi extender as some are using it.. those are only 25.00? but with the added features maybe it is worth it.
and as some stated wifi ac on just one device, seems like overkill but future proof only for now anyways. but again I was just looking at it and tempted because It is half price

btw best buy regular price shows only a saving of 50.00 I don't think its hot that much anymore.
http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/lin ... 34396.aspx?
these are affordable decent repeaters. 33 bucks decent range only draw like 3 and half watts too. The only reason I don't like using full loaded routers as repeaters. Many draw 10 or more watts just idle no load. You have 3 or more well that adds up. Thats alot of juice for 24/7 running just for networking in a home
https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.a ... -_-Product
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2016
2980 posts
3333 upvotes
awesome! ill ad it to my price watch its not on sale but ill be sure to grab one of those when it does. seems decent for sure.
edit : nvm it is already refurbished I ordered one.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 3, 2014
5953 posts
4014 upvotes
waven101 wrote: wich one is best i have no clue when it comes to routers but i feel we should be getting one since all these electronics in the house and i do like to game plus i only got the bell router right now i dont think it is as fast as it should
I think you should buy a keyboard that has keys for punctuation marks first.
[OP]
Member
Aug 28, 2011
479 posts
184 upvotes
lead wrote: these are affordable decent repeaters. 33 bucks decent range only draw like 3 and half watts too. The only reason I don't like using full loaded routers as repeaters. Many draw 10 or more watts just idle no load. You have 3 or more well that adds up. Thats alot of juice for 24/7 running just for networking in a home
https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.a ... -_-Product
I tried a few different things like that, I tried a regular TP-Link AC750 range extender, as well as some powerline(?) based ones, basically an ethernet to powerline then powerline to Wifi AC750 AP. Both didn't work very well, devices would flip between the AP/repeater and the router itself as they could still sort of get signal to it, I found it way more stable to just reposition the router and to get one with better signal in general. But again that's just my experience, if you have a complete dead spot somewhere then an AP or repeater may work well.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2016
2980 posts
3333 upvotes
[quote=hvwozq post_id=28080172 time=1501877406 user_id=871519]
I think you should buy a keyboard that has keys for punctuation marks first.
[/quote]
I do have http://www.dell.com/en-ca/shop/accessor ... 0203613808
don't get it it sucks. but that is actually how I speak in rl :D
especially after a 1.00 special large coffee at McDonald.
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2009
1753 posts
1341 upvotes
Quebec City
I use it since 2-3 years now. It's ok but the 5ghz drops quite often. I use stock firmware.

Top