• Last Updated:
  • Jul 29th, 2021 1:16 pm
[OP]
Nov 8, 2005
153 posts
304 upvotes
Halifax

[Amazon.ca] Lodge 12-Inch Cast Iron Skillet $39.97

Top-rated 12-inch (AKA full sized) skillet from Lodge. Lowest price in about 5 years via Amazon.

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00006JSUB?tag ... uage=en_CA
Last edited by Mars2012 on Jun 12th, 2021 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed link/nonRFD affiliate tag removed
97 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2004
1464 posts
559 upvotes
North Vancouver
+1 Lodge at a good price!
Dec 27, 2009
7 posts
9 upvotes
Toronto
Ordered one. Waited a while for this deal. Hope it lives up to the all the hype.Sign Of The Horns Thank you OP!
Jul 1, 2003
861 posts
109 upvotes
Airdrie, AB
Ordered one, thanks OP!
-Some people hear their own voices with great clearness and they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy or they become Legend.-
Dec 12, 2009
415 posts
216 upvotes
That is very heavy pan to use with 1 hand. If you have noodly arms or not bricked up, you might find it uncomfortable.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2007
6551 posts
2114 upvotes
It's heavy but a great pan. I have both 10" and 12".
Deal Fanatic
Nov 23, 2005
8714 posts
5024 upvotes
starbuckscoffee wrote: That is very heavy pan to use with 1 hand. If you have noodly arms or not bricked up, you might find it uncomfortable.
You don't need to be bricked up to use a cast iron. I have a few of them and handle them just fine with a single hand, despite not being Arnold.
Nov 25, 2014
536 posts
566 upvotes
boyoflondon wrote: You don't need to be bricked up to use a cast iron. I have a few of them and handle them just fine with a single hand, despite not being Arnold.
Read up on anecdotal. Now read up some opinions on cast iron weight on reddit and find out why @starbuckscoffee said that
Jan 27, 2021
62 posts
29 upvotes
is the lodge brand worth the price premium?
i 've bought other cast iron pans that are made from various overseas countries (china, columbia etc...) and again they have been fine and never used one that was manfactured in the US so not sure how to compare.

i will say that those off-brand ones i did tend to find ones with longer handles which i prefer instead of stuby handles on the lodge.
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2014
2910 posts
2274 upvotes
GTA Ontario
Great deal, especially considering how much it would cost to ship a 12" iron pan.

Heh, I read a lot of the one-star reviews. A few were legitimate - cracks or holes that shouldn't have passed inspection. But most were from people who bought the 3.5" pan and gave it one star for being small, or who complain that a big cast iron pan is heavy, or who don't even know that you need to strip and season it before using it - they just washed it as is and left it wet to dry on its own, and are surprised it rusted. Lodge does make a good iron pan. Just be sure you know how to season it before using it*. And expect it to be heavy - it's iron, and fairly thick, which is great because it stores a lot of heat. And expect the handle to get hot - you might want to also buy a silicone handle cover if you don't have one, or always remember to use a pot holder or oven mitt.

*In case you haven't yet found good info on seasoning, this is the best I've found (it goes into the science behind what real seasoning actually is):
http://sherylcanter.com/wordpress/2010/ ... cast-iron/

And here's a video with pretty much the same idea (but without the cool science bits):
Dec 24, 2007
247 posts
397 upvotes
under tall pines
i bought a 10sk at a yard sale a few weeks ago, wirebrushed it, reseasoned it. took like half the day. came out great but i should've just waited for this deal
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2014
2910 posts
2274 upvotes
GTA Ontario
TrueToy wrote: i bought a 10sk at a yard sale a few weeks ago, wirebrushed it, reseasoned it. took like half the day. came out great but i should've just waited for this deal
If it's an old enough pan it might be better than new - they used to machine the cooking surface smooth after casting. They skip that step now to cut cost. An antique iron pan for a good price is an awesome find (unless it's in seriously bad condition and can't be restored).
Feb 26, 2008
835 posts
793 upvotes
Surrey
roosters6879 wrote: is the lodge brand worth the price premium?
i 've bought other cast iron pans that are made from various overseas countries (china, columbia etc...) and again they have been fine and never used one that was manfactured in the US so not sure how to compare.

i will say that those off-brand ones i did tend to find ones with longer handles which i prefer instead of stuby handles on the lodge.
Lodge is worth it. I have several of their products. 10, 12 inch, dutch oven, reversible griddle. To me it's not really a premium brand. There are others that offer a bit more of a refined and better overall finish.

Food cooked with them have been great. No need to really crank the heat as these retain heat very well and very quickly. These can go on bbq's, open fire, etc. Mine are used everyday to make meals from breakfast to dinner. I don't have issues with the handles. They are short but there is also a small lip handle you can use too. I use the ove glove to handle them. Works well.
Dec 24, 2007
247 posts
397 upvotes
under tall pines
i did a bit of reading after i bought it. the surfaces were smoother before the foundries were automated (which happened in the mid 50's). Its difficult to date lodge pans (mine has the newer lodge logo but does not have lodge stamped into the opposite handle, which should mean 1971-1983)

this is my first cast iron skillet. i deep fried potatoes in it and loved them, then used that oil for bread making. im hooked.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2014
3256 posts
2141 upvotes
Langley
The premium is worth the price for LODGE.

At least in my experience. I wish I didn't buy the two cast irons from Winners we bought. they still work well, but you can tell the quality of the craftsmanship is not nearly as good as our Lodge. The lodge we have is only 8" and because of its size it doesn't get as much use as our 10" and 12". If I could, I would use the Lodge because it just looks and feels better. Functionally though, I don't really see a difference between them.

Unfortunately for us, because cast iron lasts forever, I can't find it in myself to replace our cheap Winner's ones because they still work, they just don't look as nice. This is a great deal for a pan that will last until the next ice age.

If you have never used a cast iron pan before, there is a learning curve. So don't expect it to react like a typical non-stick. You have to learn a new way of cooking food. If you put in the time, you will see cast iron is amazing to cook with. Also, it's more work in the sense that after every use, we wash it, and lightly oil it after each use. So you have to get used to that.

Just be informed before you jump on this deal.
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2002
4241 posts
270 upvotes
Hamilton
Any recommendations on a deeper version for fried chicken?
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2014
3256 posts
2141 upvotes
Langley
synaptech wrote: Any recommendations on a deeper version for fried chicken?
We just use a WOK to fry chicken, seems like it works the best.
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2017
1623 posts
1782 upvotes
West GTA
It’s a good pan, but be aware of the downsides - it is a hassle to maintain, it does not handle acidic food well as it strips the seasoning, the non-stick is finicky and the heating surface is very uneven - it will have warm and cold spots.

Somehow I still have a lodge on my stove, carefully cared for and love it. I kind of like the hassle involved and working around the downsides, it feels retro-cool.
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2014
2910 posts
2274 upvotes
GTA Ontario
jellytime wrote: The premium is worth the price for LODGE.

At least in my experience. I wish I didn't buy the two cast irons from Winners we bought. they still work well, but you can tell the quality of the craftsmanship is not nearly as good as our Lodge. The lodge we have is only 8" and because of its size it doesn't get as much use as our 10" and 12". If I could, I would use the Lodge because it just looks and feels better. Functionally though, I don't really see a difference between them.

Unfortunately for us, because cast iron lasts forever, I can't find it in myself to replace our cheap Winner's ones because they still work, they just don't look as nice. This is a great deal for a pan that will last until the next ice age.

If you have never used a cast iron pan before, there is a learning curve. So don't expect it to react like a typical non-stick. You have to learn a new way of cooking food. If you put in the time, you will see cast iron is amazing to cook with. Also, it's more work in the sense that after every use, we wash it, and lightly oil it after each use. So you have to get used to that.

Just be informed before you jump on this deal.
If you season it the way the links in post #10 you won't need to oil it after using it - just wash it, with or without soap, dry it, and put it away. And then you can store it long-term without a coat of oil going rancid on it, and can stack other pans on it without getting them oily.
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2014
2910 posts
2274 upvotes
GTA Ontario
grumble wrote: It’s a good pan, but be aware of the downsides - it is a hassle to maintain, it does not handle acidic food well as it strips the seasoning, the non-stick is finicky and the heating surface is very uneven - it will have warm and cold spots.

Somehow I still have a lodge on my stove, carefully cared for and love it. I kind of like the hassle involved and working around the downsides, it feels retro-cool.
If you season it as shown in post #10 it's much less hassle because the finish is more non-stick, tougher, stands up to acidic foods and soap. It'll still have uneven heating because iron isn't as good a heat conductor as steel, aluminum, or copper, so you still get the cool factor of becoming an, um, Iron Chef.