• Last Updated:
  • Jun 4th, 2020 11:24 am
[OP]
Jun 7, 2013
301 posts
149 upvotes
KANATA

[Amazon.ca] Lodge Cast Iron 14in Pizza Pan $79.08

Finally I saw a price drop on this (from around 110 to 79). Alternative to a pizza stone.

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0000E2V3X
Last edited by TomRFD on May 20th, 2020 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added price to title; removed non-rfd affiliate tags
54 replies
Dec 14, 2013
17 posts
32 upvotes
Richmond
"oven safe to 400 degrees"

who cooks a pizza at 400 degrees or below? pizzas need to be cooked at significantly higher temps.
Apr 30, 2009
870 posts
824 upvotes
GTA
it's cast iron, it can handle a lot more than 400 degrees.
silly amazon listing.
Dec 30, 2006
595 posts
267 upvotes
Toronto
AboveTheCallVFG wrote: "oven safe to 400 degrees"

who cooks a pizza at 400 degrees or below? pizzas need to be cooked at significantly higher temps.
Seriously? It's cast iron. I've used this in my oven up to 550 and well over that in my bbq
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2014
2734 posts
1996 upvotes
Toronto, ON
AboveTheCallVFG wrote: "oven safe to 400 degrees"

karlb wrote: it's cast iron, it can handle a lot more than 400 degrees.
silly amazon listing.
Cast iron is oven safe to 2800F before it melts. That should be enough for most pizzas. Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
Deal Addict
May 25, 2009
4941 posts
1296 upvotes
Toronto
Why do we always hear of pizza stones, yet we don't hear about cast iron pizza pans? Cast iron should be much hotter than a stone, no?

How about outdoor brick ovens, wouldn't a cast iron surface be hotter than the brick (or is it tile?) surface? Why don't they line those brick ovens with a plate of cast iron?
Nov 27, 2017
22 posts
9 upvotes
Or go to lowes and get an extra large travertine tile for $10. Good to bake bread with too
May 10, 2016
174 posts
171 upvotes
It could be that the seasoning burns off at a certain temp. Not sure what temp that is but it's definitely way over 400. I left mine on the stove on high and it burnt off 5 years of seasoning recently :'(
Jul 19, 2011
65 posts
97 upvotes
CALGARY
Why not use a regular cast iron pan? This seems so expensive.
Jan 27, 2011
426 posts
262 upvotes
fightbriz wrote: Why do we always hear of pizza stones, yet we don't hear about cast iron pizza pans? Cast iron should be much hotter than a stone, no?

How about outdoor brick ovens, wouldn't a cast iron surface be hotter than the brick (or is it tile?) surface? Why don't they line those brick ovens with a plate of cast iron?
brick/stone is the traditional surface in wood-fired ovens. a lot of pizza makers use steel. there's a good thread on how to source and install a36 steel into a home oven at the pizza making forums.

i would say that the cast iron pans here are not what i'd go for because of the lips they have. it will make sliding the pizza on much more difficult. the transfer ought to be done really quickly, and anything that might slow or complicate that is going to lead to heat loss. my oven doesn't go above 500, so every second counts even if the baking surface is hot, you don't want to have a crispy crust and underdone top.

a common workaround is to have 2 steels. one on the bottom of the oven where you start the pizza and one on top near the broiler to finish.

anyway - happy pizza making!
Nov 28, 2009
579 posts
369 upvotes
Pickering
I cook home made pizza on a single handle cast iron pan in my BBQ, from fresh to cooked in 10min flat. Cast iron is awesome, pizza does not stick, quick and easy to get out with a spatula no problem. A regular cast iron pan will do, doesnt have to be pizza one.
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2008
1463 posts
372 upvotes
We've been cooking on these for years.

I just took two pizzas off the BBQ 30 minutes ago.
Deal Addict
May 25, 2009
4941 posts
1296 upvotes
Toronto
soupman wrote: brick/stone is the traditional surface in wood-fired ovens. a lot of pizza makers use steel. there's a good thread on how to source and install a36 steel into a home oven at the pizza making forums.

i would say that the cast iron pans here are not what i'd go for because of the lips they have. it will make sliding the pizza on much more difficult. the transfer ought to be done really quickly, and anything that might slow or complicate that is going to lead to heat loss. my oven doesn't go above 500, so every second counts even if the baking surface is hot, you don't want to have a crispy crust and underdone top.

a common workaround is to have 2 steels. one on the bottom of the oven where you start the pizza and one on top near the broiler to finish.

anyway - happy pizza making!
Right, but why is the traditional surface of a wood fired oven brick or stone, why not line it with a cast iron plate, or a large steel plate, that would be hotter than brick or stone right? Or perhaps you want a hot oven but not necessarily the cooking surface to be super hot?

And even for home use, cast iron would be much better than a pizza stone right? There must be one without a lip out there.. Like a pizza steel but made of cast iron... But i guess at that point might as well just get a steel...

Regarding your 2 steel setup, you're saying have one top, one bottom, preheated like an hour at max heat (NOT on broil, but regular BAKE right?). You launch onto the one below, about 5mins? Then you transfer it to the one above to broil like 2mins? What i don't understand is, when you transfer to the top steel, that's when you switch the oven to broil mode right? But the broil coils will take like 10min to fully activate, much longer than the 2min or whatever that it takes to broil, so how does that work?

Also, on Bake mode, are the top coils activated? Or only bottom ones? On Broil mode i assume only top coils are activated.
Deal Addict
May 25, 2009
4941 posts
1296 upvotes
Toronto
steved54321 wrote: I cook home made pizza on a single handle cast iron pan in my BBQ, from fresh to cooked in 10min flat. Cast iron is awesome, pizza does not stick, quick and easy to get out with a spatula no problem. A regular cast iron pan will do, doesnt have to be pizza one.
Wait so you preheat skillet in bbq, how do you launch the pizza into a skillet that has sides?