• Last Updated:
  • Jun 4th, 2020 11:24 am
[OP]
Jun 7, 2013
357 posts
223 upvotes
KANATA

[Amazon.ca] Lodge Cast Iron 14in Pizza Pan $79.08

Finally I saw a price drop on this (from around 110 to 79). Alternative to a pizza stone.

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0000E2V3X
Last edited by TomRFD on May 20th, 2020 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added price to title; removed non-rfd affiliate tags
54 replies
Dec 14, 2013
28 posts
38 upvotes
Richmond
"oven safe to 400 degrees"

who cooks a pizza at 400 degrees or below? pizzas need to be cooked at significantly higher temps.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2009
2418 posts
3335 upvotes
GTA
it's cast iron, it can handle a lot more than 400 degrees.
silly amazon listing.
Dec 30, 2006
696 posts
418 upvotes
Toronto
AboveTheCallVFG wrote: "oven safe to 400 degrees"

who cooks a pizza at 400 degrees or below? pizzas need to be cooked at significantly higher temps.
Seriously? It's cast iron. I've used this in my oven up to 550 and well over that in my bbq
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2014
2993 posts
2450 upvotes
GTA Ontario
AboveTheCallVFG wrote: "oven safe to 400 degrees"

karlb wrote: it's cast iron, it can handle a lot more than 400 degrees.
silly amazon listing.
Cast iron is oven safe to 2800F before it melts. That should be enough for most pizzas. Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
6707 posts
3057 upvotes
Toronto
Why do we always hear of pizza stones, yet we don't hear about cast iron pizza pans? Cast iron should be much hotter than a stone, no?

How about outdoor brick ovens, wouldn't a cast iron surface be hotter than the brick (or is it tile?) surface? Why don't they line those brick ovens with a plate of cast iron?
Nov 27, 2017
37 posts
18 upvotes
Or go to lowes and get an extra large travertine tile for $10. Good to bake bread with too
May 10, 2016
476 posts
791 upvotes
It could be that the seasoning burns off at a certain temp. Not sure what temp that is but it's definitely way over 400. I left mine on the stove on high and it burnt off 5 years of seasoning recently :'(
Jul 19, 2011
93 posts
247 upvotes
CALGARY
Why not use a regular cast iron pan? This seems so expensive.
Jan 27, 2011
444 posts
286 upvotes
fightbriz wrote: Why do we always hear of pizza stones, yet we don't hear about cast iron pizza pans? Cast iron should be much hotter than a stone, no?

How about outdoor brick ovens, wouldn't a cast iron surface be hotter than the brick (or is it tile?) surface? Why don't they line those brick ovens with a plate of cast iron?
brick/stone is the traditional surface in wood-fired ovens. a lot of pizza makers use steel. there's a good thread on how to source and install a36 steel into a home oven at the pizza making forums.

i would say that the cast iron pans here are not what i'd go for because of the lips they have. it will make sliding the pizza on much more difficult. the transfer ought to be done really quickly, and anything that might slow or complicate that is going to lead to heat loss. my oven doesn't go above 500, so every second counts even if the baking surface is hot, you don't want to have a crispy crust and underdone top.

a common workaround is to have 2 steels. one on the bottom of the oven where you start the pizza and one on top near the broiler to finish.

anyway - happy pizza making!
Nov 28, 2009
712 posts
693 upvotes
Pickering
I cook home made pizza on a single handle cast iron pan in my BBQ, from fresh to cooked in 10min flat. Cast iron is awesome, pizza does not stick, quick and easy to get out with a spatula no problem. A regular cast iron pan will do, doesnt have to be pizza one.
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2008
1746 posts
649 upvotes
We've been cooking on these for years.

I just took two pizzas off the BBQ 30 minutes ago.
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
6707 posts
3057 upvotes
Toronto
soupman wrote: brick/stone is the traditional surface in wood-fired ovens. a lot of pizza makers use steel. there's a good thread on how to source and install a36 steel into a home oven at the pizza making forums.

i would say that the cast iron pans here are not what i'd go for because of the lips they have. it will make sliding the pizza on much more difficult. the transfer ought to be done really quickly, and anything that might slow or complicate that is going to lead to heat loss. my oven doesn't go above 500, so every second counts even if the baking surface is hot, you don't want to have a crispy crust and underdone top.

a common workaround is to have 2 steels. one on the bottom of the oven where you start the pizza and one on top near the broiler to finish.

Right, but why is the traditional surface of a wood fired oven brick or stone, why not line it with a cast iron plate, or a large steel plate, that would be hotter than brick or stone right? Or perhaps you want a hot oven but not necessarily the cooking surface to be super hot?

And even for home use, cast iron would be much better than a pizza stone right? There must be one without a lip out there.. Like a pizza steel but made of cast iron... But i guess at that point might as well just get a steel...

Regarding your 2 steel setup, you're saying have one top, one bottom, preheated like an hour at max heat (NOT on broil, but regular BAKE right?). You launch onto the one below, about 5mins? Then you transfer it to the one above to broil like 2mins? What i don't understand is, when you transfer to the top steel, that's when you switch the oven to broil mode right? But the broil coils will take like 10min to fully activate, much longer than the 2min or whatever that it takes to broil, so how does that work?

Also, on Bake mode, are the top coils activated? Or only bottom ones? On Broil mode i assume only top coils are activated.
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
6707 posts
3057 upvotes
Toronto
steved54321 wrote: I cook home made pizza on a single handle cast iron pan in my BBQ, from fresh to cooked in 10min flat. Cast iron is awesome, pizza does not stick, quick and easy to get out with a spatula no problem. A regular cast iron pan will do, doesnt have to be pizza one.
Wait so you preheat skillet in bbq, how do you launch the pizza into a skillet that has sides?
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
6707 posts
3057 upvotes
Toronto
Genblue wrote: We've been cooking on these for years.

I just took two pizzas off the BBQ 30 minutes ago.
So you heat ci pizza pan on bbq, then launch onto it, close the lid? How long does it take? And what kind of bbq is it, do you just crank it to max heat?
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2015
1121 posts
635 upvotes
Toronto, ON
fightbriz wrote: Right, but why is the traditional surface of a wood fired oven brick or stone, why not line it with a cast iron plate, or a large steel plate, that would be hotter than brick or stone right? Or perhaps you want a hot oven but not necessarily the cooking surface to be super hot?

And even for home use, cast iron would be much better than a pizza stone right? There must be one without a lip out there.. Like a pizza steel but made of cast iron... But i guess at that point might as well just get a steel...

Regarding your 2 steel setup, you're saying have one top, one bottom, preheated like an hour at max heat (NOT on broil, but regular BAKE right?). You launch onto the one below, about 5mins? Then you transfer it to the one above to broil like 2mins? What i don't understand is, when you transfer to the top steel, that's when you switch the oven to broil mode right? But the broil coils will take like 10min to fully activate, much longer than the 2min or whatever that it takes to broil, so how does that work?

Also, on Bake mode, are the top coils activated? Or only bottom ones? On Broil mode i assume only top coils are activated.
Why would cast iron be any hotter than brick or stone if they are both heated to 600 or higher? Its about thermal stability AND heat transfer. I ended up with steel a while ago after reviewing countless articles and videos, including one where there was a comparison with stone, cast iron, steel and copper - steel was the hands down winner for home oven use (just wish it was lighter as my steel weighs about 26lbs).

And not sure what oven you use, but I cook pizza just under the broil coils - 4min at 550 using "Bake" setting and then "Hi" broil for 2-2.5min and done. The broil coils on my oven heat immediately.
Oct 3, 2014
74 posts
64 upvotes
Toronto, ON
fightbriz wrote: So you heat ci pizza pan on bbq, then launch onto it, close the lid? How long does it take? And what kind of bbq is it, do you just crank it to max heat?
Heat CI in Oven/BBQ, make pizza on cutting board (flour or corn meal makes it easier to not stick), pull out hot pan, gently slide off board and into pan, back into oven BBQ. Alternatively, you can pull out the CI, throw dough in pan and quickly make it too. Ive done both and both turn out just fine.

You will want at least 450 degrees.
May 17, 2011
634 posts
599 upvotes
Toronto
soupman wrote: brick/stone is the traditional surface in wood-fired ovens. a lot of pizza makers use steel. there's a good thread on how to source and install a36 steel into a home oven at the pizza making forums.

Steel was the best thing I ever purchased, hands down. Last summer we set bricks on the gas grill with the steel on top (bakingsteel.com has a video and/or post detailing) and set the pizzas right on the grill. Awesome for when we didn't want to turn the oven on to 550 degrees for a couple of hours.

I don't have two....yet.