[Amazon.ca] Lodge Cast Iron 14in Pizza Pan $79.08

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 4th, 2020 11:24 am
Deal Addict
May 25, 2009
4941 posts
1296 upvotes
Toronto
Genblue wrote: We've been cooking on these for years.

I just took two pizzas off the BBQ 30 minutes ago.
So you heat ci pizza pan on bbq, then launch onto it, close the lid? How long does it take? And what kind of bbq is it, do you just crank it to max heat?
Aug 16, 2015
754 posts
359 upvotes
Toronto, ON
fightbriz wrote: Right, but why is the traditional surface of a wood fired oven brick or stone, why not line it with a cast iron plate, or a large steel plate, that would be hotter than brick or stone right? Or perhaps you want a hot oven but not necessarily the cooking surface to be super hot?

And even for home use, cast iron would be much better than a pizza stone right? There must be one without a lip out there.. Like a pizza steel but made of cast iron... But i guess at that point might as well just get a steel...

Regarding your 2 steel setup, you're saying have one top, one bottom, preheated like an hour at max heat (NOT on broil, but regular BAKE right?). You launch onto the one below, about 5mins? Then you transfer it to the one above to broil like 2mins? What i don't understand is, when you transfer to the top steel, that's when you switch the oven to broil mode right? But the broil coils will take like 10min to fully activate, much longer than the 2min or whatever that it takes to broil, so how does that work?

Also, on Bake mode, are the top coils activated? Or only bottom ones? On Broil mode i assume only top coils are activated.
Why would cast iron be any hotter than brick or stone if they are both heated to 600 or higher? Its about thermal stability AND heat transfer. I ended up with steel a while ago after reviewing countless articles and videos, including one where there was a comparison with stone, cast iron, steel and copper - steel was the hands down winner for home oven use (just wish it was lighter as my steel weighs about 26lbs).

And not sure what oven you use, but I cook pizza just under the broil coils - 4min at 550 using "Bake" setting and then "Hi" broil for 2-2.5min and done. The broil coils on my oven heat immediately.
Oct 3, 2014
63 posts
56 upvotes
Toronto, ON
fightbriz wrote: So you heat ci pizza pan on bbq, then launch onto it, close the lid? How long does it take? And what kind of bbq is it, do you just crank it to max heat?
Heat CI in Oven/BBQ, make pizza on cutting board (flour or corn meal makes it easier to not stick), pull out hot pan, gently slide off board and into pan, back into oven BBQ. Alternatively, you can pull out the CI, throw dough in pan and quickly make it too. Ive done both and both turn out just fine.

You will want at least 450 degrees.
May 17, 2011
373 posts
336 upvotes
Toronto
soupman wrote: brick/stone is the traditional surface in wood-fired ovens. a lot of pizza makers use steel. there's a good thread on how to source and install a36 steel into a home oven at the pizza making forums.

i would say that the cast iron pans here are not what i'd go for because of the lips they have. it will make sliding the pizza on much more difficult. the transfer ought to be done really quickly, and anything that might slow or complicate that is going to lead to heat loss. my oven doesn't go above 500, so every second counts even if the baking surface is hot, you don't want to have a crispy crust and underdone top.

a common workaround is to have 2 steels. one on the bottom of the oven where you start the pizza and one on top near the broiler to finish.

anyway - happy pizza making!
Steel was the best thing I ever purchased, hands down. Last summer we set bricks on the gas grill with the steel on top (bakingsteel.com has a video and/or post detailing) and set the pizzas right on the grill. Awesome for when we didn't want to turn the oven on to 550 degrees for a couple of hours.

I don't have two....yet.
Oct 3, 2014
63 posts
56 upvotes
Toronto, ON
georgep wrote: Why would cast iron be any hotter than brick or stone if they are both heated to 600 or higher? Its about thermal stability AND heat transfer. I ended up with steel a while ago after reviewing countless articles and videos, including one where there was a comparison with stone, cast iron, steel and copper - steel was the hands down winner for home oven use (just wish it was lighter as my steel weighs about 26lbs).

And not sure what oven you use, but I cook pizza just under the broil coils - 4min at 550 using "Bake" setting and then "Hi" broil for 2-2.5min and done. The broil coils on my oven heat immediately.
And traditionally they didn't have steel available (too costly) and stone and brick was free (can make or excavate yourself)
Nov 12, 2006
79 posts
7 upvotes
For those of you that got a steel, may I ask where? And was it significantly more than this lodge pan? I have two pizza stones now, but finding they work great in the Big Green Egg (less so in the regular oven).

THanks!
Aug 16, 2015
754 posts
359 upvotes
Toronto, ON
jrshopper wrote: Steel was the best thing I ever purchased, hands down. Last summer we set bricks on the gas grill with the steel on top (bakingsteel.com has a video and/or post detailing) and set the pizzas right on the grill. Awesome for when we didn't want to turn the oven on to 550 degrees for a couple of hours.

I don't have two....yet.
Sorry, the pizzas went straight on the grates? No sagging issues? Have a Weber Summit 670 and the spacing seems pretty close, but I would have been a bit nervous to put the pie right on the grill...
Jul 11, 2009
499 posts
299 upvotes
Toronto
georgep wrote: Why would cast iron be any hotter than brick or stone if they are both heated to 600 or higher? Its about thermal stability AND heat transfer. I ended up with steel a while ago after reviewing countless articles and videos, including one where there was a comparison with stone, cast iron, steel and copper - steel was the hands down winner for home oven use (just wish it was lighter as my steel weighs about 26lbs).

cast iron could be the same temperature as a brick or stone, but could have more thermal energy if it has a higher specific heat capacity and/or if it is heavier than the brick or stone.
also if the cast iron pan is black and the brick or stone is not, it would absorb radiant heat faster.

my guess for the oven lining of stone vs cast iron is, it'd be a pita to construct an oven lining outta cast iron relative to stones, and if it ever rusts, it'd be a pita to clean.
Apr 24, 2012
95 posts
34 upvotes
CALGARY
fightbriz wrote: Why do we always hear of pizza stones, yet we don't hear about cast iron pizza pans? Cast iron should be much hotter than a stone, no?

How about outdoor brick ovens, wouldn't a cast iron surface be hotter than the brick (or is it tile?) surface? Why don't they line those brick ovens with a plate of cast iron?
Castiron is not the end all be all that some people think it is, Cast iron is great at heat retention and after seasoning being nonstick (look up carbon steel pans much better for everyday pans) which is why it is used for things like searing meats and other cooking where heat retention is important. But what cast iron is not great at is heating evenly, so for things like baking this is more important, you want even heating and you can sacrifice some heat retention. So people use baking stones and baking steels.

also cast iron is super cheap to manufacture
May 17, 2011
373 posts
336 upvotes
Toronto
georgep wrote: Sorry, the pizzas went straight on the grates? No sagging issues? Have a Weber Summit 670 and the spacing seems pretty close, but I would have been a bit nervous to put the pie right on the grill...
Straight onto the grates. Build a ledge for the steel with bricks and place on top. Preheat all knobs on full for an hour (maybe less, can't quite remember). Oil the grates, turn off the burners right over where the pizza goes and launch onto it. We normally are doing several so we finish the first one off on the top of the steel when it's time to launch the second. Works great!

edit to add -

- note that this does not tell you to shut the heat off when launching but he included that in his instagram of this video. If you don't then you will have charcoal crust. Ask me how I know. ;-)
Last edited by jrshopper on May 22nd, 2020 11:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
May 17, 2011
373 posts
336 upvotes
Toronto
tacopower wrote: For those of you that got a steel, may I ask where? And was it significantly more than this lodge pan? I have two pizza stones now, but finding they work great in the Big Green Egg (less so in the regular oven).

THanks!
I got mine directly from bakingsteel.com and shipped to a relative in the US that was driving up, so free shipping. However they apparently are launching or just launched a Canadian distribution to cut down on shipping/duty.
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2014
2734 posts
1996 upvotes
Toronto, ON
ElvisD735799 wrote: Or go to lowes and get an extra large travertine tile for $10. Good to bake bread with too
I wouldn't recommend it:
- It doesn't have the same density as iron or even high temperature ceramic or soapstone and therefore won't have the same high thermal inertia - which is the whole point of a baking stone;
- It's soft relative to other stones and is more likely to break from the handling;
- It's got much lower thermal shock resistance and is more likely to break from the heating and cooling;
- It's a porous stone and will absorb more moisture from your food than other stones will, which increases its chance of cracking from the heat;
- If it's not porous it's because it's one that's been backfilled with epoxy to create smoother surface, and when heated its off-gasses may be toxic.
Aug 24, 2009
521 posts
149 upvotes
I have a book for pizzas on the grill - you put olive oil on one side of the dough and put it right on the grill direct at 450 for like 5 min. Take off, flip over and then put your sauce and stuff on the cooked size. Then put it back on the grill Indirect for like 12-15 depending on the grill and the pizza. Works good but the pizzas won’t look like they’re ready for a photo op - if you care. :)

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

xphile