• Last Updated:
  • Jun 4th, 2020 11:24 am
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2007
1146 posts
572 upvotes
Toronto
Why so many downvotes?

This is actually a very good product. I owned it for a couple of years. It's not as effective as a stone or a steel, but it's 80% there. The advantage is that it's light, and doesn't break like a stone. It's also good for 2800F like others have mentioned.

Why not use your regular cast iron pans? Sure you can, but your pizzas will be smaller because most people don't have a 14" skillet, and placing the pizza in it is awkward because of the high sides.

I wouldn't pay more than $50 for it though. Lodge screws us royally in Canada. Why? Because they can. I think everyone should stop buying Lodge until they fix their prices.
Jan 29, 2020
494 posts
467 upvotes
OakAged wrote: To me, an extra $40 up front for something that's going to make a difference every time I cook a pizza (and clean and dry the pan if needed) for the rest of my life is well worth it, but that's just me.
I hear you on "buy once, cry once" but I don't feel the need to overpay right now. Price of all this type of discretionary stuff is going to drop very precipitously in the coming months.
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2007
4810 posts
1266 upvotes
Regina
ApeShmtCrazy wrote: Don't do what this guy did. He removed a part of his oven's locking mechanism and he put it on auto clean mode to reach temperatures above 800 degrees.

He used a steel sheet and it burned the bottom of the pizza.
i am laughing b/c i remember seeing this some where else as well and had briefly thought about trying lol
Dec 20, 2010
95 posts
75 upvotes
soupman wrote: brick/stone is the traditional surface in wood-fired ovens. a lot of pizza makers use steel. there's a good thread on how to source and install a36 steel into a home oven at the pizza making forums.

i would say that the cast iron pans here are not what i'd go for because of the lips they have. it will make sliding the pizza on much more difficult. the transfer ought to be done really quickly, and anything that might slow or complicate that is going to lead to heat loss. my oven doesn't go above 500, so every second counts even if the baking surface is hot, you don't want to have a crispy crust and underdone top.

a common workaround is to have 2 steels. one on the bottom of the oven where you start the pizza and one on top near the broiler to finish.

anyway - happy pizza making!
I've been using Kenji's foolproof cast iron pizza for mine and it comes out fantastic. 10% of the time I crisp up the bottom on a burner after.
Nov 30, 2009
266 posts
160 upvotes
Toronto
I got one of these years ago from a Corelle store for ~$50-60. I've made some great NY style pizzas on it. I definitely recommend it over a stone for home oven use (unless you're gonna hack your oven I suppose)
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2008
1773 posts
675 upvotes
bumbaclot411 wrote: I have the original ooni Koda (12 inch pizzas) but I'd go for the bigger Koda 16 (16 inch pizzas). Neither has the ability to convert to wood pellets but I think it would be a huge hassle anyway. In the end the heat is the biggest factor and both can go to 900F+ Pm me if you want my personal experience with this thing. It's pretty awesome
Maybe consider the Uuni Pro that has both wood and gas options.

From my research, the wood at little flavour to the pizza when it's only in the oven for 1.5 to 2 minutes.

Koda 16 or the Pro would be my choice, if I could find one used.
May 17, 2011
675 posts
630 upvotes
Toronto
soupman wrote: Here

I don't know that it's cheaper. Mine was $80 a few years ago in GVA. You can get smaller sizes cut, but I'm not sure the savings are that great. If you don't cook pizza that much something you can take out of the oven easily is probably a better option.
Thanks! Lots of good reading there. A friend of mine in Colorado had one made for her out of aluminum and she said it was as good as a steel, she was a chef so knew what she was talking about. But, same issue for me when I was looking as couldn't find anyone who would sell it for food purposes.
May 29, 2006
660 posts
177 upvotes
I picked up a 16 inch skillet from Cabelas last year.....I use it for Pizza and also fish fries on the BBQ (my wife hates fish smell in the house) it makes awesome large pizza and it was around $35 on sale regular price is about $45?.......
Dec 3, 2005
851 posts
992 upvotes
S
Genblue wrote: Maybe consider the Uuni Pro that has both wood and gas options.

From my research, the wood at little flavour to the pizza when it's only in the oven for 1.5 to 2 minutes.

Koda 16 or the Pro would be my choice, if I could find one used.
I considered ooni, and bought a roccbox last month b/c build quality. No regrets.
Before this, I had a 3/8" baking steel that I considered inadequate after making ~20 pizzas.
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2008
1773 posts
675 upvotes
MELPOMENE wrote: I considered ooni, and bought a roccbox last month b/c build quality. No regrets.
Before this, I had a 3/8" baking steel that I considered inadequate after making ~20 pizzas.
How do you find the size of the Roccbox?
I think that you can only make 12" pies.
It looks like a nice unit and has both wood and propane options, I think.
Dec 3, 2005
851 posts
992 upvotes
S
Genblue wrote: How do you find the size of the Roccbox?
I think that you can only make 12" pies.
It looks like a nice unit and has both wood and propane options, I think.
The size is perfect for me. I make 11" pies and don't want larger, because I can't eat more than half of a pizza in one meal anyways. It only takes 30 min to make 8, so I don't mind making a 3 extra than if I were to make 14" ones (equivalent area). Also convenient size to reheat at home.
Roccbox is known to have better heat retention, which is a factor I considered. I plan to use it near open garage door in the winter.
Oct 9, 2005
120 posts
43 upvotes
Toronto
ApeShmtCrazy wrote: Don't do what this guy did. He removed a part of his oven's locking mechanism and he put it on auto clean mode to reach temperatures above 800 degrees.

He used a steel sheet and it burned the bottom of the pizza.
I did this in my last apartment and it worked like a charm with a proper pizza stone. God I wish my current oven had a self clean mode.
Jan 15, 2004
427 posts
48 upvotes
Calgary
I've had this pan for many years. I use it for cooking eggs and pancakes on the stove as well as for pizza.
Apr 20, 2011
160 posts
136 upvotes

I was searching and Google recommended this video of someone using a muffin/cupcake tray. Has anyone tried this? Seems easier than going out to get a bbq stone.
Jan 4, 2010
43 posts
39 upvotes
Toronto
That's not a terrible idea instead of a stone, but non stick pans are not meant to get that hot. You'll be eating teflon or whatever else is there in this case.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)