[Amazon.ca] Lodge Enameled Dutch Oven 6 Quarts-$63.21

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 23rd, 2020 11:58 am
[OP]
Jul 12, 2015
326 posts
109 upvotes

[Amazon.ca] Lodge Enameled Dutch Oven 6 Quarts-$63.21

This is a solid dutch oven. We have one, and it still looks brand new after a year of consistent use.
The sandalwood color is actually a very soft, buttery looking neutral in real life.
Last edited by AlexiRos on Sep 21st, 2020 2:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
28 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 1, 2017
1117 posts
1774 upvotes
Good price, and Lodge warranty is solid. I had a Pumpkin one that chipped in multiple places 6 months in (hopefully just a dud). Customer service was very pleasant and I received this Sandalwood in replacement. Have not tested it, but I'm happy with Lodge.
Blowing all savings from RFD on deals from RFD 😂
Dec 30, 2017
378 posts
283 upvotes
GTA
Thanks OP got one.
I have both the amazon basics and the lodge one, the lodge one is far better.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 25, 2005
8812 posts
6992 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
Shows a saving of only $3.46 from regular price?
Deal Addict
Jan 24, 2008
2081 posts
774 upvotes
This is actually a pretty good deal. Lodge 6 quart enameled dutch ovens are typically in the $100-150 range and occasionally in the $70-80 range. I own several Lodge non-enameled cast iron pots and pans and they are top notch.

Ordered and upvoted. Thanks OP!
I am not young enough to know everything - Oscar Wilde
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2005
1299 posts
322 upvotes
Halifax
I like the Sandlewood I bought. I've only used it thus far to cook bread. Works great for that. Now that it's getting colder, i'll use this more vs bbq-ing. The pricing is weird, the blue version typically costs $30 more just for color.
Deal Addict
Apr 1, 2017
1117 posts
1774 upvotes
DragonRider wrote: Shows a saving of only $3.46 from regular price?
That's not the correct regular price. Lodge ovens are typically around $100, going as high as $150-$199 for the past few months.
Blowing all savings from RFD on deals from RFD 😂
Sep 5, 2006
622 posts
438 upvotes
Calgary
Lodge is a good brand, but check out this video for the things that you should be looking for in a Dutch oven.

Some things they mentioned:
- at least 6 quart volume
- good weight for heat retention
- wide handles to make it easy to hold with oven mitts
- light coloured enameled interior since dark colours are more likely to cause scorching and are harder to see fond formation
- broad flat base with less taper towards walls gives broader effective surface for browning

That last point seems, to me, to be a strike against the Lodge Dutch oven. I recently bought the 7 quart Crock-Pot Dutch oven when it went on sale for around $70 (primarily used for baking bread) and I'm very happy with it.
Sep 5, 2006
622 posts
438 upvotes
Calgary
lazy_prodigy wrote: Besides no need for seasoning, what's the advantage of enameled vs non-enameled Dutch oven?
Enameled surface is harder and smoother. Lighter colored surface makes it easier to see fond development. You can wash with soap and don't need to be as careful about drying and oiling the surface since it doesn't rust. You can also cook acidic things for long periods of time without worrying about surface degradation (tomato-based soups and stews).

Regular cast iron is better for heat conduction and very high heat searing. And obviously cast iron can be much cheaper.
Feb 10, 2012
86 posts
48 upvotes
Ontario
davidclegg wrote: Lodge is a good brand, but check out this video for the things that you should be looking for in a Dutch oven.

Some things they mentioned:
- at least 6 quart volume
- good weight for heat retention
- wide handles to make it easy to hold with oven mitts
- light coloured enameled interior since dark colours are more likely to cause scorching and are harder to see fond formation
- broad flat base with less taper towards walls gives broader effective surface for browning

That last point seems, to me, to be a strike against the Lodge Dutch oven. I recently bought the 7 quart Crock-Pot Dutch oven when it went on sale for around $70 (primarily used for baking bread) and I'm very happy with it.
I have one, it's excellent build quality (haven't seen any chips or damage) and have enjoyed cooking with it.

That being said what's brought up here about the rounded edges at the bottom are 100% valid... it takes away a good amount of surface area. It's a little annoying when doing things like browning meats.
Aug 30, 2015
575 posts
788 upvotes
BC
Since this thread has gathered some knowledgable folk here and I'm just getting started with my lodge - what is everyone's take on cleaning it? I've been using non-abrasive tools to clean it and keeping it out of the dishwasher - but if either of these two things is too conservative I'd love the greater conveniences of being rougher with it.
Deal Addict
Jan 24, 2008
2081 posts
774 upvotes
setlist wrote: Since this thread has gathered some knowledgable folk here and I'm just getting started with my lodge - what is everyone's take on cleaning it? I've been using non-abrasive tools to clean it and keeping it out of the dishwasher - but if either of these two things is too conservative I'd love the greater conveniences of being rougher with it.
You can buy Lodge's official Enameled Cast Iron and Stoneware Care Kit if you want to.
I am not young enough to know everything - Oscar Wilde