Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Amazon.ca

Lodge L8DD3 Logic 5-Quart Double Dutch Oven and Casserole with Skillet Cover - $67.98

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 15th, 2022 2:22 pm
18 replies
Feb 2, 2010
140 posts
526 upvotes
Shihtzus wrote: Costco has a similar set by Lagostina for $49.99

https://www.costco.ca/lagostina-cast-ir ... 44081.html
Not bad however all Lodge cast iron products are all made in the USA from US steel and are considered the standard, at least as far as bare cast iron is concerned.

Also, strangely, the Costco set doesn't seem to show liter capacity, I suspect it is 3L only, as I found a similar set on the CT website.
Mar 14, 2018
864 posts
1207 upvotes
FrugalFruge wrote: Not bad however all Lodge cast iron products are all made in the USA from US steel and are considered the standard, at least as far as bare cast iron is concerned.

Also, strangely, the Costco set doesn't seem to show liter capacity, I suspect it is 3L only, as I found a similar set on the CT website.
I have my fair share of Lodge cast iron pans but my friend brought this report to my attention:

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/hon ... -cast-iron
Sep 16, 2008
79 posts
51 upvotes
Kamloops, BC
I think you're right regarding 3L, based on the dimensions of the Lodge vs the Lagostina.
Jan 22, 2015
816 posts
1285 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Had this one for a few years now.
Only used for baking bread but gives great results.
The double handle set up I find really good vs the long handle version.
Apr 18, 2008
646 posts
1198 upvotes
BC
calvados.boulard wrote: Looks like this report/review is for enamelled cast iron, whereas this is not? With bare cast iron you need to be conscious of the acidity of the ingredients.
Shouldn't the seasoned part prevent leeching from happening? (vs bare metal)
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2010
1123 posts
1546 upvotes
Victoria
MandomRix wrote: Shouldn't the seasoned part prevent leeching from happening? (vs bare metal)
Yes, exactly, however seasoning is susceptible to acidic ingredients, and will strip off exposing the raw iron. e.g, tomato sauce in a bare (seasoned) cast iron should be avoided.
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2017
1116 posts
2114 upvotes
Vancouver
Would this stuff (including Costco lagostina) be okay for bread/sourdough? I've been kind of thinking of getting on that pandemic sourdough train.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2011
2626 posts
2586 upvotes
Vancouver
Take a time machine back to 2016 and I paid 54.99 for this on amazon lol - that being said 6 years later it's still going strong. Love it for stews/chili and perfect size for breads
Dec 29, 2018
10 posts
4 upvotes
ajdeals wrote: South China Morning Post reports that Hong Kong watchdog says Lodge (American) and Bruno (Japanese) cast iron is toxic? Thanks good to know
I see what you mean. I thought the iron pans were nothing except iron. Where did all the cadmium etc stuff came from?
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
21703 posts
17378 upvotes
Markham
RedFlagCrake wrote: Would this stuff (including Costco lagostina) be okay for bread/sourdough? I've been kind of thinking of getting on that pandemic sourdough train.
A two handle version is more versatile IMO as it can be used in smaller control convection ovens.

As well, the double handle skillet can be used in things like the popular pizza oven.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2005
4451 posts
2140 upvotes
Toronto
deal dead? currently $86,65
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2010
1123 posts
1546 upvotes
Victoria
var303 wrote: I see what you mean. I thought the iron pans were nothing except iron. Where did all the cadmium etc stuff came from?
Well this is concerning. I went with Lodge specifically as I believed they would be free from contaminants of concerns.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 19, 2009
6197 posts
4451 upvotes
ajdeals wrote: South China Morning Post reports that Hong Kong watchdog says Lodge (American) and Bruno (Japanese) cast iron is toxic? Thanks good to know
Chinese propaganda against foreign competition?
All cookware is dangerous to some extent.

Stainless Steel Leaches Nickel and Chromium into Foods During Cooking

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4284091/